*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Are you using the vents on your bbq? The key to cooking properly is all about the right level of direct or indirect heat.

For more heat, open your vents more. For less heat, close them up. For a set amount of charcoal, it will last shorter or longer based on how hot it burns. Those are the basics, and you just need to learn how to control your own bbq. Some charcoals will burn hotter than others with a given vent setting etc. Just keep an eye on those temps and adjust to suit.
I had the vents on either side open, maybe this coconut zipp briquettes are just not very good? Might try the webber ones.

On another side note, is BBQ food unhealthy? One appeal to using BBQ for me and my GF is, the good tastes really good and it's a lot cheaper than buying a takeaway, so kind of win win, but if it's really unhealthy then well, I guess it's still cheaper.

Soldato
I had the vents on either side open, maybe this coconut zipp briquettes are just not very good? Might try the webber ones.

On another side note, is BBQ food unhealthy? One appeal to using BBQ for me and my GF is, the good tastes really good and it's a lot cheaper than buying a takeaway, so kind of win win, but if it's really unhealthy then well, I guess it's still cheaper.
I mean that's obviously a completely open question, bbq food is neither inherently healthy or unhealthy.

If you make cheeseburgers with 20% fat mince, sausages, beef ribs/pulled pork dripping in sugary BBQ sauce, it's not going to be healthy.

If you make grilled asparagus, mushrooms, lean steak, grilled chicken, it can easily be healthy, and (almost) as tasty as the above.

Both are BBQ food. Use your common sense.

Soldato
I'm wondering from the perspective of the charcoal hitting the food, the smoke etc..

I've ordered the Weber Rapidfire chimney starter with fire lighters + briquettes for £34.99, going to give it a try seems well reviewed.

Soldato
IMG-20220709-174220.jpg

taB

taB

Associate
I have a weber chimney starter but so long as it's a metal tube with some holes in I don't think brand is too relevant really. I also use "woodies" rather than firelighters. As long as your charcoal has decent sized chunks one is all you need. 7p a pop looking at amazon now.

Caporegime
I have a weber chimney starter but so long as it's a metal tube with some holes in I don't think brand is too relevant really. I also use "woodies" rather than firelighters. As long as your charcoal has decent sized chunks one is all you need. 7p a pop looking at amazon now.

Got a cheap one off ebay. Works fine.

Had the bbq going last week. As much as I love the taste it does seem like I'm just constantly at the bbq. As in its hard to enjoy as cooking is so frantic.

Soldato
What you cooking? Sausages and burgers? Find that the more experienced you become the easier things are as you just learn what needs to be done and when.

Soldato
It's just the bbq day is meant to be an evening to spend with the gf but I'm frantically checking stuff all the time.
Only yanking your chain. Look into indirect cooking/reverse searing. There's not that many things that are best cooked solely directly above the coals. If you do most of the cooking indirectly, it's a much less frantic process. Then give it a frazzle over the coals to get some colour/maillard/grill marks at the end. That's the very basic principle that has eluded and held back most of Britain's bbq'ers for decades and decades.

If you are already doing this but it's still too involved, then bummer.

Caporegime
Only yanking your chain. Look into indirect cooking/reverse searing. There's not that many things that are best cooked solely directly above the coals. If you do most of the cooking indirectly, it's a much less frantic process. Then give it a frazzle over the coals to get some colour/maillard/grill marks at the end. That's the very basic principle that has eluded and held back most of Britain's bbq'ers for decades and decades.

If you are already doing this but it's still too involved, then bummer.

Yeah I have a pile of coals which obviously makes a hot point gradually getting cooler. But I find its hard to get the balance. Granted I've only ever done 3 bbqs so far!.. In my life! :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
Found this in Aldi today, labeled as regular Sirlion but man...it can almost qualify as waygu. I think I might slice it down the middle to make it thinner unless I sous vid it. It's way too thick to cook it traditionally. aka on a cast iron skillet.

Thats the perfect steak. Cut that in half and it will make cooking it nicely much harder. Just reverse sear it.

Soldato
What you cooking? Sausages and burgers? Find that the more experienced you become the easier things are as you just learn what needs to be done and when.

Agreed.

I have a golden rule of at least 45 mins for chicken legs with the bones, learn not to charcoal blasé the outside and raw in the middle. Get a few meat thermometers and learn the safe temps for the different meats. Use separate areas, plates and utensils for raw meat, cooked and veg for food safety and you have a good starting point for learning everything else - just experiment.

People seem to ask me when food is done when I go around theirs lol. Simple rules with the experience gives timings and understanding for experimenting with large/more complex stuff. Prep on the dishes makes a massive difference.

Soldato
"Meat Matters" have just released new stock of their various cuts from retired dairy cow.

Get your order in for delivery next week, I've just placed an order with them. Happy to finally catch a stock drop!

Found this in Aldi today, labeled as regular Sirlion but man...it can almost qualify as waygu. I think I might slice it down the middle to make it thinner unless I sous vid it. It's way too thick to cook it traditionally. aka on a cast iron skillet.
You don't need to put a good steak in a bath and boil it.

Reverse sear it on a BBQ, with it being a thicker cut.

Or cook it "dirty" directly on the nice charcoal (not on briquettes!) if it's a more uniform and slightly thicker steak.

Soldato
"Meat Matters" have just released new stock of their various cuts from retired dairy cow.

Get your order in for delivery next week, I've just placed an order with them. Happy to finally catch a stock drop!

You don't need to put a good steak in a bath and boil it.

Reverse sear it on a BBQ, with it being a thicker cut.

Or cook it "dirty" directly on the nice charcoal (not on briquettes!) if it's a more uniform and slightly thicker steak.
Sous vide isn't boiling it. But yes reverse sear for me everytime.

Back
Top Bottom