*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Associate
Looking to treat myself to a new BBQ after grabbing cheap Homebase ones for years and it then disintegrating. Is the Weber 57cm kettle a good starting point or perhaps the Napoleon kettle? Aldi Gardenline Kamado? I saw the TRAEGER and Masterbuilt options also and some gas ones but ultimately looking for something to do more fish, vegetables, halloumi, lamb burgers, sausages, chicken, paneer etc rather than full on meat cooks as family are not massive meat eaters.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Associate
Looking to treat myself to a new BBQ after grabbing cheap Homebase ones for years and it then disintegrating. Is the Weber 57cm kettle a good starting point or perhaps the Napoleon kettle? Aldi Gardenline Kamado? I saw the TRAEGER and Masterbuilt options also and some gas ones but ultimately looking for something to do more fish, vegetables, halloumi, lamb burgers, sausages, chicken, paneer etc rather than full on meat cooks as family are not massive meat eaters.

Any suggestions?
Weber kettle 57cm is pretty much the defacto go to BBQ, versitile and can do everything pretty well, if you have the extra budget something like the aldi kamado will be brilliant as they are more thermally stable thus hold the same temp for longer and tend to use less fuel however the out lay really is a bit more, plus the ceramic nature means you have to be a bit more careful and ensure they don't get damp/are always covered.

Soldato
Long cook tomorrow, 2Kg of Wagu beef rib and 3.5Kg of pork shoulder on the BGE. Ribs will be dry brined overnight with meatchurch Holy cow, and the pork shoulder with Honey hog hot (I also have some Blues hog Tennessee Red to sauce that when it's done). Will smoke over a mix of Hickory and Whisky barrel chunks. I think I'm going to need to have fire up the BGE by 7AM to get it done for supper.

Soldato
Thanks to those who mentioned the Berber & Q book. I have grabbed a copy and it should arrive today.

You won't regret it! I did the pistachio and dill koftes from their on Friday night. The Weber Master Touch 57 is a really versatile piece of kit, you can't really go wrong with one of those, I'm more than happy with mine!

Soldato

Any suggestions?

Yea Weber kettle is bullet proof.

Caporegime
So bbq has been going great. Got that webber that people recommended.

Anyone have any good places to get coals?
I keep buying the bags in tesco and I feel they go Quickly.

The chimney also Recommended has been awesome

Soldato

My go to for really top quality lumpwood..

bJN

bJN

Soldato

For longish cooks I tend to go with Weber briquettes, got my last 8kg bag at the weekend from a local garden centre for £17... Most places are £20+ so any saving is greatly received! :D

For shorter stuff / "usual" BBQ I've now gone with Big K lumpwood and it gets to a decent temperature for the generic sausages and burgers affair.

Soldato
Cool will give these guys a go next time, free delivery for my postcode too!
Their goumet and professional lumpwoods are very similar*. Neutral flavour so doesn't override your choice of wood chunks when smoking. Both make the official BGE charcoal look like cheap service station stuff for both size and density
*Larger average and max size in the professional, but the gourmet still has very decent chunks

Back
Top Bottom