*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Associate
Why are some Gas BBQ so expensive? Had a BBQ at a mates last night and he had a gas BBQ and cost way more than my Weber 57 yet didn't do anything better or worse than the Kettle. Looked up the prices for some models and they are around 1k and beyond. FB marketplace is littered with rusted out Outback models. It seems the price to entry isn't great for Gas one under say £500? I know both have their pros and cons but MB560/800 would make the most sense for when and if ever outgrew the Weber 57.

Soldato
Why are some Gas BBQ so expensive? Had a BBQ at a mates last night and he had a gas BBQ and cost way more than my Weber 57 yet didn't do anything better or worse than the Kettle. Looked up the prices for some models and they are around 1k and beyond. FB marketplace is littered with rusted out Outback models. It seems the price to entry isn't great for Gas one under say £500? I know both have their pros and cons but MB560/800 would make the most sense for when and if ever outgrew the Weber 57.
i have a grillstream hybrid bbq it was 299

Soldato
Our 5 year old Char-Griller Duel Fuel is in a sorry state covered in rust, so I am wondering what decent and not over-price replacements to look at.

As much as I would like a Weber Master-touch, any kettle-style ones are instantly veto'd, so it would need to a barrel or side-by-side design.

Charcoal is the primary cooking method, but having gas would be a bonus.

Are the Char-Broil Gas2Coal options any good?
I had one of these. Bought it three years ago I think, about to get rid.

It's fine. Quite gimmicky, but the gas part of it works well. As far as charcoal goes, the briquet trays sit right underneath the grate meaning that you have to wait a while for the coals to cool down before cooking, and then they go out... very little in the way of temperature control.

You can light the coals with the gas though, which helps getting things started.

I felt it's quite a limited bbq, despite the obvious flexibility of gas vs coal, and have just bought a Weber MT instead.

Soldato
Just picked up a proper BBQ, so smoked some chicken. Do I now need a rotisserie too?

PXL-20240520-113518328.png
Looks juicy af. For me, chicken on the BBQ is twice as good as in the oven, it keeps it's moisture so much better and the smokey tinge too makes it perfect.

Cooked two full chicken legs for my boys (6 and 3) on the Kamado yesterday and they plowed them. The 6yo wanted it taken off the bone but the 3yo ate it like he was a caveman. Wife and I had tuna steaks with chimichurri, which was out of this world. Sides were orzo and sweetcorn salsa and edamame beans. Sadly no pics.

Soldato
Phwoar those ribs look meaty. IMO ribs are the king of bbq foods when done right, can't beat them.

Good luck with the brisket, I've been putt off buying brisket ever since I try not to buy imported beef and the british ones are too hit and miss with marbling.

Associate
Phwoar those ribs look meaty. IMO ribs are the king of bbq foods when done right, can't beat them.

Good luck with the brisket, I've been putt off buying brisket ever since I try not to buy imported beef and the british ones are too hit and miss with marbling.

Yeah it's definitely going to be a bit lean, I'll add some fat when I wrap it but I'm not holding out hope. I'm in a very lucky position that I didn't pay for it though, the butcher we order from at work usually hooks us up if we ask for something.

Edit:

PXL-20240603-151325388-PORTRAIT.png

PXL-20240603-083605810.png

Brisket just went in, barely fit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any recommendations for a temperature probe for occasional BBQ use?

The Lavatools PX1D is £33 on Amazon, so a bit cheaper then the Thermapen Classic which is £42 to £52 depending on colour.

Soldato
Any recommendations for a temperature probe for occasional BBQ use?

The Lavatools PX1D is £33 on Amazon, so a bit cheaper then the Thermapen Classic which is £42 to £52 depending on colour.

The manufacturer of Thermapen sell refurbished ones on ebay for around £30 if thats any use? I bought one years ago, They sent two so gave one to a mate.

Soldato
Has anyone got any experience of two burner table top gas grills?
I've been looking into getting one when I just fancy a quick bit of BBQ food for one or two people so I don't have to fire up the Big Joe 2. I have been eyeing up a Nexgrill however I believe the new stainless steel one isn't as good as the previous design.
I've now noticed that a Char Broil X200 is currently 50% off.
Anyone have any feedback on small two burner units?

Soldato
Has anyone got any experience of two burner table top gas grills?
I've been looking into getting one when I just fancy a quick bit of BBQ food for one or two people so I don't have to fire up the Big Joe 2. I have been eyeing up a Nexgrill however I believe the new stainless steel one isn't as good as the previous design.
I've now noticed that a Char Broil X200 is currently 50% off.
Anyone have any feedback on small two burner units?
i got a hybrid unit.....so can use coals or gas, 3 burner

Back
Top Bottom