*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
@michty_me as requested

7ft wide and tall, 408kg.
9.5mm (3/8ths) inch thick all over, including stack, doors etc.

1.5m² / 2316 Sq inches of cooking space.

Cannot open the main chamber with one hard, requires both and a fair effort. Wife can't open it at all.

I might have gone a little overboard... Runs real well though, it eats wood but the mass means the temperatures are relatively stable.

Purchased some flue to extend stack through the gazebo roof.
Looks a cracker. Get some cooks up once you are firing away!

Soldato
Looks a cracker. Get some cooks up once you are firing away!

This was my little short rib test run:

Australian Angus short ribs
Left some fat cap and the silverskin on.
Trimmed corners.
Salt, Pepper, Seasoning salt.
275°F - 300°F, Oak wood.
Took off after 6 hours at around 197°F as probing like butter.
Foil wrapped with smoked tallow and held at 150°F for four hours in the oven (no wrap during cook).

Taste and texture were great, smoke added a subtle sweetness that I never managed to get with the Kamado or WSM. I assume as they have smoldering chunks rather than fully on fire.

Bark was excellent, the hold softened it a little, but that just made it better imho.

I need to add less salt next time, would have been fine on a large brisket, but the ribs were a little salty for my taste.

Top fat and silverskin were completely rendered down. So I'll continue to leave it on going forward. Probably helped by the offset cooking top down.

Knocked up a quick BBQ sauce too that we have been enjoying this whole week!.

Last edited:
Soldato

Trimmed corners.
275°F - 300°F, Oak wood.
Foil wrapped with smoked tallow and held at 150°F for four hours in the oven (no wrap during cook).

Taste and texture were great, smoke added a subtle sweetness that I never managed to get with the Kamado or WSM. I assume as they have smoldering chunks rather than fully on fire.

Bark was excellent, the hold softened it a little, but that just made it better imho.

I need to add less salt next time, would have been fine on a large brisket, but the ribs were a little salty for my taste.

Top fat and silverskin were completely rendered down. So I'll continue to leave it on going forward. Probably helped by the offset cooking top down.

They look excellent! Thats an impressive bit of beef rib. It's making me hungry!
I'm just waiting on my patio being finished before I can get the kamado back out of the garage.

Soldato
I spotted a Komodo Joe at a discount price last weekend. I've discussed with the Mrs and if it's still there tomorrow I'll go and pick it up. I think it may be a series 1 demonstrator so my main concern is the cracking of the inside ceramics, but I think it may be a later series. Will check before purchase..

Ahh I think it may be a Kettle Joe: https://www.firehouse-uk.com/product/kamado-joe-kettle-joe-bbq-2/ basically a metal kettle BBQ with a ceramic heatbox and 'slow roller' insert (I can see that the outer joint is going to leak fat that drops inside - bad design).

Slightly concerned with a metal BBQ from experience the current one has lasted with rust and repainting.

Edit seems that the kettle joe was discontinued due to enamel cracking, ash issues and ceramic blocks also cracked out of the box. In short I think they had too many issues with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so today to did a pork belly experiment:

A) Pepper and season salt all over.
B) Heavy seasoning salt on top only.

B was easily better, less of a bark, but then I plan to cook alongside Brisket, so I don't need two amazing barks.

Spritzed with maple syrupand water.
7 hours cook and 1 hours rest.
275-300°F

Tasted great but the fat needs to be more rendered. So next time no spritzing!

My gazebo also now sports a chimney, we had marshmallows on spaghetti sticks for pudding.

Soldato
I got to use a Webber kettle at a holiday rental over the weekend, so liked the ease of removing ashes and the flip-up sides of the grill for adding more fuel.

Now I've made the fatal mistake (for my wallet) of hitting up Google to look at prices to replace our existing cheap BBQ. We actually bought that for camping but have been using it at home for years when our previous BBQ rusted through.

Napoleon Pro 22 - approx £320
Weber MT E5750 - approx £230
Weber MT E5755 - approx £270
Weber MT E5775 - approx £350

Do prices discount much at the end of the summer?

I like the idea of having a hinged lid but that's a bit of step up in price. Any recommendations and observations would be welcome.

Associate
I got to use a Webber kettle at a holiday rental over the weekend, so liked the ease of removing ashes and the flip-up sides of the grill for adding more fuel.

Now I've made the fatal mistake (for my wallet) of hitting up Google to look at prices to replace our existing cheap BBQ. We actually bought that for camping but have been using it at home for years when our previous BBQ rusted through.

I like the idea of having a hinged lid but that's a bit of step up in price. Any recommendations and observations would be welcome.

Look at marketplace or Gumtree for any second hand kettles? Always some going. Quick clean and you are good to go.

Enjoy my Weber MT E5755 as does it all.

Associate

20% off at Riverside Garden Centre

Associate

Trimmed corners.
275°F - 300°F, Oak wood.

wow that looks insane

Soldato
Look at marketplace or Gumtree for any second hand kettles? Always some going. Quick clean and you are good to go.

Enjoy my Weber MT E5755 as does it all.

Thanks for the discounted link as well - will have a look. Does the lid holder on your 5755 work well? I thought the basic hook on the Weber I used was a bit of faff getting it lined up at times and I ended just plonking the lid on the floor.

Associate
Thanks for the discounted link as well - will have a look. Does the lid holder on your 5755 work well? I thought the basic hook on the Weber I used was a bit of faff getting it lined up at times and I ended just plonking the lid on the floor.

The lid holder works well. I usually do indirect cooks so don't need to check often. For direct cooking the lid is still fine and better than the hook version. That looks a right faff.

Soldato
The lid holder works well. I usually do indirect cooks so don't need to check often. For direct cooking the lid is still fine and better than the hook version. That looks a right faff.

Thanks. I think the 5755 is top of the list then as the sweet spot. Being cheaper than the top tier options pays for a starter chimney and maybe charcoal baskets as it seems Weber swapped the baskets for rails for 2024 (further investigation needed).

Associate
Thanks. I think the 5755 is top of the list then as the sweet spot. Being cheaper than the top tier options pays for a starter chimney and maybe charcoal baskets as it seems Weber swapped the baskets for rails for 2024 (further investigation needed).

Saving money and buying accessories is wise choice.
They had the chimney and baskets in Prime offer yesterday. You just missed out.

Soldato
Brisket/Pork trimmings, 30% fat.
Half normal (pictured), half cheese and chillies.

Cold smoked with Prague powder #1.
Natural hog casing.
Fat free milk powder for binder.
Pepper, mustard powder, paprika, garlic powder, Cayenne

Water for normal and cream for the cheese/chillies.

I did 2% salt, a little too salty for me. So next time will be 1.5%.

Very juicy and tasty with a great pop! Lots of effort but pleased for first attempt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom