*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
The brisket I've had locally has been very lean (or just scrappy!) but this looks good:

https://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/packer-cut-brisket-flat.html

(assuming it arrives in a similar standard :) )

I've still got time to think about it before I order :)

I'd definitely go for the point if it's a British brisket. I generally use the points from T&G and they are decent, not as good as USDA or Aussie but for the price I've always been happy with the results. One day I'll get myself a USDA one to see the difference.

If you're still struggling to think what else to buy from them, stick some short ribs in your basket too! :)

Soldato
File%2007-06-2018%2C%2012%2050%2021.jpeg

So it’s here and just finished the initial burn in/seasoning - tempted to go get some belly pork and have a test run, going to try some burgers and sausages on tonight anyway so should do something more in its realm!

Caporegime
Lift off the cover off the Weber 47cm that has been sitting in the hot and cold for about 3 years in the garden…..my word it was no pretty !!! But after a scrub it came out rather well. In my sanity I actually kept the grill plate inside so that is spotless but the charcoal grill is rusty, so rusty….not a problem since that's just going to get burnt to a crisp anyway. Will fire it up this weekend.

Man of Honour
I thought the whole thing was basically made up of the point and the flat... with the flat being the significantly lesser part. I remember a Chefsteps live stream where Grant was basically saying it's really not great.

It's about 2/3rds flat but yeah, I don't really get the attraction to it outside of USDA brisket where the flat is essentially like British point.

Soldato
Love the Traeger @Shimmyhill! Definitely post more pics of the stuff you cook in it :)

@Psymonkee Have you thought about smoking a chuck roast instead?

In other news, I picked up 3 packs of short ribs from Waitrose today because they're currently 33.3% off (£5.32/kg). They have some decent marbling!

Soldato
File%2007-06-2018%2C%2022%2013%2019.jpeg

My first Traeger cook was interesting.... I made a mistake with the drip tray thing, I had it horizontal rather than tilted down so all the fat from a pork belly collected on said tray and eventually just burnt and make more smoke than the machine!

The pork belly tasted great, I did some burgers and sausages on it too and they were a revelation - incredibly juicy and one hell of a smoke ring on them from the burning pork fat....

I didn’t get any finished pics as I was facing my second issue that I forgot to foil wrap said tray so could see the clean up operation was going to be nasty - it was!

Back
Top Bottom