*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Interesting on the thick vs thin ribs. When I got mine from the butcher the first pack he got out of the fridge for me was pretty thin looking and I asked if he had anything thicker ones which he did, and they were nice and meaty.

What internal temp did you get to @thewanted ? Looks like quite a light amount of rub but you've still ended up with a very solid bark there.

Soldato
What internal temp did you get to @thewanted ? Looks like quite a light amount of rub but you've still ended up with a very solid bark there.

I took them off at about 201F because they were soft when I poked them with my Thermapen. You're right, I didn't put much rub on because the T&G Great Cow rub is fairly salty.

Just placed an order with Turner & George for a rump cap so that I can make this recipe on Friday:

Last edited:
Associate
Sheesh. Just seen this pics and suddenly feeling like I need to up my game on the BBQ front. Bookmarked this thread to keep me honest!

Soldato
What're peoples thoughts on this? My wifes just bought it me for an early fathers day gift (and a house warming gift since we'll have a decent garden). I had intended to get a Weber or similar. She has mentioned she'd be ok if i returned it but that'd incur return costs and i'd feel a bit of a dick as i know she'll have spent a while looking for one which looked good.

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/garden/pdp/homcom-charcoal-barbecue-with-side-shelf-iv-hmcm1022.html

There's no mention of any warranty which i generally look for as a sign of quality, it's likely to only be used for generic food rather than anything too extreme, but it is likely to be left outside all year round and i'm not sure how easy it'd be to find a cover due to the side shelves.

Associate
What're peoples thoughts on this? My wifes just bought it me for an early fathers day gift (and a house warming gift since we'll have a decent garden). I had intended to get a Weber or similar. She has mentioned she'd be ok if i returned it but that'd incur return costs and i'd feel a bit of a dick as i know she'll have spent a while looking for one which looked good.

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/garden/pdp/homcom-charcoal-barbecue-with-side-shelf-iv-hmcm1022.html

There's no mention of any warranty which i generally look for as a sign of quality, it's likely to only be used for generic food rather than anything too extreme, but it is likely to be left outside all year round and i'm not sure how easy it'd be to find a cover due to the side shelves.
While no doubt you can get better brands, Id use it if it was a gift. Just buy a bigger cover that will fit it and use it and I am sure it will be fine for you. Will make the bbq more enjoyable for her as she got it for you. (Or you could tell her it has a missing piece and has to go back - darn it, but dont worry you can go to the shop together to pick the replacement....)

Soldato
Yeah, i think my concern is more about the longevity of it and whether it'd turn into a pile of rust by next summer. I know the ones which seem to last longer look to be enamel based rather than just powder coated.

Also would it be better to have a vent in the bottom too (can't see one) or is it ok to just be in the top?

Also now to go buy a chimney starter. I presume they're much of a muchness. Should i just grab one from Amazon?

Soldato
Also would it be better to have a vent in the bottom too (can't see one) or is it ok to just be in the top?

Also now to go buy a chimney starter. I presume they're much of a muchness. Should i just grab one from Amazon?

You really want a vent in the bottom too or you'll kill the fire when you put the lid on, regardless of the top vent. It also helps to regulate the temperature by restricting the airflow.

Lidl were selling a really nice chimney starter for £5 a week or two ago. Might be worth seeing if you can get one if it's not too far out of your way.

Soldato
Looking at the pics it does have an adjustable vent in the bottom, with a handle to open and close it.

In all honesty, it'll be absolutely fine to use. I smoke in a super cheapo kettle bbq that I picked up second hand for £10 but which would only have been around £20-£30 when brand new and it works perfectly. I even took it with me when I went on a smoking weekend last year and sat it alongside a whole load of webers and everyone was impressed at how good the temperature control was with it.

As for how long it'll last, well this will be my second summer with it and it's fine. it must have seen at least one summer before I get it and I don't think it was keep under a cover or indoors. I have a cover I got from amazon which works nicely and I expect I'll get at least a few more years from it. so Ireally wouldn't worry too much!

Back
Top Bottom