*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
The short ribs are all looking great! I may need to get mine on the BBQ this weekend.

I've just gone overboard and ordered 75kg of Big K charcoal as it was on offer on Ocado and I had a voucher too so it worked out at £1/kg. The delivery driver is going to hate me! I figured it'll all get used at some point so I may as well stock up while it's cheap.

I'm slightly annoyed as the missus managed to push my kettle over on the patio so despite me looking after it, the enamel is now cracked and chipped on the back. I'll have to touch it up with some high temperature paint to stop it rusting.

Soldato
I did mine for 1 hour at 230c.
1 hour!? What in god's name. They must have been so so tough. I did some the other week and they were on for 9 hours (temp between 220 and 260F), and were only just about done fully.

edit: D'oh, just realised you wrote 230C, not 230F. You know that's really not the tried and tested method right ?

@lookitsjonno , you're going to be looking at at 4 hours at the very least to get to the right internal temp, which is between 195 and 203 Fahrenheit.

Caporegime
1 hour!? What in god's name. They must have been so so tough. I did some the other week and they were on for 9 hours (temp between 220 and 260F), and were only just about done fully.

edit: D'oh, just realised you wrote 230C, not 230F. You know that's really not the tried and tested method right ?

@lookitsjonno , you're going to be looking at at 4 hours at the very least to get to the right internal temp, which is between 195 and 203 Fahrenheit.

It is tried and tested, by me.

Does that count? :D

I lit up my BBQ, put some coal in it, and winged the whole thing….it tasted good, tender and not chewy.

Soldato
Two efforts on the bbq last weekend for me.

Brother in law was over Friday night, and you could say we went a bit overboard for 3 of us.

I hadn't had a rack of ribs to myself in some time so when I saw a rack for £1.19 in asda I couldn't say no. Just a casual Sunday cook, did 2 hours unwrapped then 2 hours wrapped and sauced. Cooked at 225-240F. I would say the done ness was nigh on perfect, but I forgot the smoking wood! So although there was a tasty saucy exterior, the meat itself didn't have that beautiful smokeyness. I won't be making that mistake again, though it's somewhat reassuring to know that all the faff around the wood smoke is actually worth it!

Soldato
It is tried and tested, by me.

Does that count? :D

I lit up my BBQ, put some coal in it, and winged the whole thing….it tasted good, tender and not chewy.

It really doesn't count in the way I'm thinking, but if you enjoyed it then you can't have gone too far wrong. It's quite impressive that you winged beef ribs and had something vaguely edible. If you have the kit (you do, with a weber) and the patience (that part is up to you!) I would encourage you to try cooking lower for longer. The results really are amazing when you get it right.

Soldato
I cooked a pastrami this weekend on my Callow smoker, turned out really well about 5 hours a 100°C got to an internal temp of 70°C then I removed it to the oven and cooked over a water bath for 2 hours covered at 130°C. Really nice texture great flavour but too salty, I left it in the brine for too long my mistake. I'll have another go in a few months and get it right this time. I do like salt beef so far I've had it in sandwiches, wraps and a stir fry.

I followed the Micahel Ruhlman recipe from his charcuterie book.

Might have to try ribs next, pork, not beef.

Also I asked a question about temperatures in the Callow a few weeks ago and used the foil trick to improve air flow through the coals and managed to control temps pretty well between 100-105°C for the 5 hours so big improvement. Thanks.

PS: can we settle on Celsius for our posts v confusing some posting in Fahrenheit.

Soldato
Do you have any pics PlacidCasual? Would like to try pastrami myself one day.

Fahrenheit is too intuitive for me now! I have been trying to use Celsius more but it's too easy for low n' slow to remember 225-250F for bbq temp and 200F for most meat internal temps.

Back
Top Bottom