*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Anyone tried the Apache yet especially in vr? Going by some of the YouTube video's it looks a bit more noob friendly than the fixed wing aircraft.

Yep.
It’s easy to cold start and if you’ve flown the Huey or Russian choppers, you find it easy to fly.
Currently working through the process of learning what the acronyms and system do and how they work. As it was bought by the US army, it’s not aligned with the navy or Air Force with the same terminology.

All the same, very immersive and feels lovely.

Soldato
I think I need to watch a few instructional videos I managed to take off a fly around like a drunken bee but couldn't figure out how to fire the gun. I need a controller profile for my t1600 FCS.
Try Casmo ex apache pilot working with ED his vids are very easy to follow and correct.

Soldato
Getting back into DCS I bought some used CH stuff for a good price I think, £170 for the lot.

Now I can learn the F18 :D

IMG-20220330-140405629.jpg

IMG-20220330-140122260.jpg

IMG-20220330-140138994.jpg

Soldato
I decided to give this a go recently, only I was using an XB1 controller. It just wasnt working for me. I mean, as cool as it looked, I just couldnt really get into it, I felt disconnected will little or no control. However, I wanted so badly to give it a proper go, so I ended up buying a lower end HOTAS setup to kinda dip my toe in and see how I like it.
So I purchased X52 earlier this week and received it today. I've spent most of the day on DCS, mostly getting to grips with controls or at least trying (**** me theres a lot to remember!!!).
The sheer level of detail in DCS is staggering. What an experience! The X52 has made playing a lot more intuitive, however I am still massively skill defficent.
I have a lot, and I mean "A LOT" to learn... I'm enjoying the learning process though, the small wins are satisfying. I need to seriously look at choosing an aircraft and sticking with it though, each aircraft really does have its own characteristics, nuances and rediculously complicated procedures!

On a side note, I kinda wish I had spent a little bit more on the HOTAS though. The X52 definitely dosnt feel quality, functionally its decent, but build quality and finish leaves a lot to be desired... It creaks worse than my battered knees. However, thats one for the future. If I really stick with it I'll splurge out on a decent setup.

So far I'm really glad I've decided to give it a proper try.

Is there any really essential dlc or 3rd party stuff I should download? At the moment I only have the extra free map, FC3 and the KA50. Is there anything anything else I should take advantage of with the sale on at the moment? I'm tempted by the either the F18 or the F14, but jeez DLC aint cheap:eek:

Soldato
I decided to give this a go recently, only I was using an XB1 controller. It just wasnt working for me. I mean, as cool as it looked, I just couldnt really get into it, I felt disconnected will little or no control. However, I wanted so badly to give it a proper go, so I ended up buying a lower end HOTAS setup to kinda dip my toe in and see how I like it.
So I purchased X52 earlier this week and received it today. I've spent most of the day on DCS, mostly getting to grips with controls or at least trying (**** me theres a lot to remember!!!).
The sheer level of detail in DCS is staggering. What an experience! The X52 has made playing a lot more intuitive, however I am still massively skill defficent.
I have a lot, and I mean "A LOT" to learn... I'm enjoying the learning process though, the small wins are satisfying. I need to seriously look at choosing an aircraft and sticking with it though, each aircraft really does have its own characteristics, nuances and rediculously complicated procedures!

On a side note, I kinda wish I had spent a little bit more on the HOTAS though. The X52 definitely dosnt feel quality, functionally its decent, but build quality and finish leaves a lot to be desired... It creaks worse than my battered knees. However, thats one for the future. If I really stick with it I'll splurge out on a decent setup.

Is there any really essential dlc or 3rd party stuff I should download? At the moment I only have the extra free map, FC3 and the KA50. Is there anything anything else I should take advantage of with the sale on at the moment? I'm tempted by the either the F18 or the F14, but jeez DLC aint cheap:eek:

Stick with the cheap hotas for now and like you say you can always upgrade it later. You’ll find the economic cost pales into insignificance compared to the time cost!

The F18 and the full fidelity planes have like for like (irl) cockpits with every button and computer working as it should. The systems can be deep and complex to learn but once you’ve hit one plane down there are transferable skills!

Soldato

The A10c II tank killer good fun, but the F18 can do everything and that is what I am learning at the moment.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
A few thoughts:
- as mentioned, wait a bit longer before splurging on a new HOTAS. Yes, they do make a difference, but as you’re talking a £k for a good Virpil setup, make sure that flight simming is right for you
- do try out the free PF51 that you have. The flight model is basically the same as the version with guns. If you like it, the warbirds are a interesting arena
- there are several free mods worth checking out. In particular the mods for the A4 Skyhawks (really good), Hercules, UH60 and Gripen. You can find their downloads via the ED forums. They’ll give you a good “feel” for what some of full fidelity aircraft are like
- if you really do want some additional aircraft and are happy to pay, checkout the F18 and Harrier. They’re probably my favourite jets
- As you’ve seen, DCS has a massive learning curve. Making up for that, for me it’s the most immersive and satisfying games that I’ve ever tried. 6 years in and still learning and loving it. There are some good learning aids and videos. Some criticise them, but I’m partial to the Grim Reapers videos. They’re not perfect, but work at a pace that I’m comfortable with

Soldato
Yeah I caved and bought the F18:D I thought it would be the better choice to have something that can handle both air and ground missions, so I have a solid platform that I can use to really learn the fundamentals.
Also thought I'd make the most of the current sale and bought the Syria and Persian Gulf maps. I'll eventually get round to getting the A10C 2 and F14, but for now I'm gonna focus on the F18. I plan to spend most of this afternoon mapping out controls and making a quick ref guide for myself, as I feel this will really help me learn. A lot of my trouble at the moment is just remembering controls, and its making for a very disjointed flight experience when i have to stop and check controls menu every other minute.

I'll definitely be waiting a bit before upgrading kit though, I just dont feel I could justify it at the moment. Maybe later in the year if I really start to take this serious.

Soldato
Just managed to get head tracking sorted using my phone and running opentrack and SmoothTrack together. Absolute game changer!!! I'm sure I still have a Tobii 4C, will have to dig it out and see how it runs with DCS.

Supercarrier.

Is essential, ok a really nice add on for the f18!!!

just saying..:::
I'll have a look at it but will probably pick it up at a later date.

Soldato
Damn it... I have ZERO impulse control...

TM Warthog HOTAS inbound, I couldnt help myself, I've been bitten by the bug, this is gonna end up spiraling out of control:rolleyes: Already eying up the F/A18c stick for it and a set of rudder pedals (Not the TM ones, at the moment at least, way too pricey:eek:).
Any suggestions for this? As nice as the TM ones are, I just cant justify £400+, will probably seek out something like a set of logitech G pro rudder pedals.

Starting to get a feel for it F18, Still sucking hard when it comes to close in dogfighting, I'll last a turn or two before being turned inside out...:cry:

Soldato
I’ve been practicing the Huey ready to try out the apache.

I’m in this weird limbo where I’m so used to BMS and MSFS that I can’t seem to find the drive to fully commit to DCS

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I’ve been practicing the Huey ready to try out the apache.

I’m in this weird limbo where I’m so used to BMS and MSFS that I can’t seem to find the drive to fully commit to DCS

you might want to check out “rotor ops”, which is a free community download focussed on providing chopper missions.
I’m hoping to try it out myself in the next few days.

Soldato
For the rudder pedals, check the units from Virpil and MFG. Both are good and there’s plenty of reviews for at least the MFG Crosswinds
Both look nice, but the Virpil ones really catch my eye. A bit more money than I'm looking to spend. However, going by my current form, I'd probably be better off just buying quality than buying cheap, as no doubt i'll just end up buying a more expensive set in the end anyway...
I'll definitely need Rudder control ... dammit, this is just as deep a pit as sim racing!!!:cry:

Back
Top Bottom