*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Associate
No import tax? I always get hit by it :( I might just wait I a bit then always wanted a F-16 style throttle happy with my warthog throttle for now.
Only thing I would worry about with the F16 throttle is what happens when you want to fly a jet with 2 engines, IE you take a hit/damage to 1 engine, how
do you shut that engine down?, as you don't have 2 throttle levers.

Soldato
Only thing I would worry about with the F16 throttle is what happens when you want to fly a jet with 2 engines, IE you take a hit/damage to 1 engine, how
do you shut that engine down?, as you don't have 2 throttle levers.
I guess you just press a button? I haven't ever found the need to use it yet, although I don't fly the A-10C much... most of my planes are Single engine or whirly birds. I wouldn't want to fly with one throttle back anyway as i need the buttons.

Soldato
Split throttle's best feature is the ability to control the thrust of two engines independently from each other, e.g. 100% left engine and 20% right engine. Some aerobatic maneuvers - like the jack knife, certain stall spins, hammerheads, etc - can not be done without this. Obviously, it's not an issue for the single engine planes like the F-16 - but I'm not sure it can jack knife- can it?
Jack knife at 3:42 here, plus plenty of other spins and side slides that need split throttle control

Having said all that, I'm still on my single CH Pro Throttle - Winwing F/A-18 throttle has (for me) a massive ergonomic "bug" - the handle is angled the opposite way from the real craft- away form the body and not towards the body. I don't like Virpil's design so waiting for VKB split throttle.

Associate
In my experience the most useful aspect of split throttles is finer control of thrust during precise functions such as aerial refuelling. Being able to move each throttle independently effectively halves the sensitivity of adjustments. Performing proper startups on twin-engine jets is of less practical benefit but obviously more immersive.

Warthog throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50CM base + TM Hornet stick here.

Associate
Having said all that, I'm still on my single CH Pro Throttle - Winwing F/A-18 throttle has (for me) a massive ergonomic "bug" - the handle is angled the opposite way from the real craft- away form the body and not towards the body. I don't like Virpil's design so waiting for VKB split throttle.

I just have the f18 throttle base angled say 20 degrees to the left from straight ahead, no issue then, I find it really comfortable to use.
It seems a more natural angle to reach for the switches as well.

Soldato
In my experience the most useful aspect of split throttles is finer control of thrust during precise functions such as aerial refuelling. Being able to move each throttle independently effectively halves the sensitivity of adjustments. Performing proper startups on twin-engine jets is of less practical benefit but obviously more immersive.

Warthog throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50CM base + TM Hornet stick here.
Warthog owner here excellent stick so are the virpils.

Associate
To be honest I hated the Warthog stick. Couldn't get on with the very specific centre which makes small adjustments anywhere near it incredibly difficult.

Previously had a Cougar with Uber2NXT gimballs. Ended up using those in a very customised fashion before finally replacing them with the Virpil base a couple of years ago...

u2.jpg

Soldato
I wonder if the clouds effects the ai vision or can they still see threw the clouds.
Looks nice but still waiting on that dynamic campaign.

Last edited:
Associate
not the big difference that I hoped for in VR.
But what I have noticed is I can now use reprojection with a constant 45 FPS when online. Feels silky smooth most of the time, with very occasional stutters for half a second.
Previously it would start at 45 FPS, but would degenerate down to sub 20 FPS after a few minutes.

Soldato
Hi all,

I was going to buy MSFS for VR (and still might), but then I remembered DCS was free for basic package and I already had it installed. So updated it, and ran it. I haven't played it since I got my 3070, not sure why really, I'd tried it on my old GPU and just never tried it when got the new one.

Anyway, its working great. I need to get a hotas, as the joypad is hard to control and the VR hands controls do work but there is no feedback obviously plus it gets tiring holding your hands in mid air.

But the main issue I wanted to ask about is how to control the game in VR given you can't see the keyboard. The tutorials/training scenarios tell you to press certain key combos, which obviously is really difficult when in VR.

The second issue is trim - when I loose the stick my nose drops or rises. How do I trim the aircraft, is it something I have to bind to a special button or axis (especially when I get my hotas)?

I was planning to get T16000 stick and throttle combo so I can play this properly.

And also what extras can I get for free?

Last edited:
Soldato
But the main issue I wanted to ask about is how to control the game in VR given you can't see the keyboard. The tutorials/training scenarios tell you to press certain key combos, which obviously is really difficult when in VR.

Voiceattack? There are many free profiles you can download and mod.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

I was going to buy MSFS for VR (and still might), but then I remembered DCS was free for basic package and I already had it installed. So updated it, and ran it. I haven't played it since I got my 3070, not sure why really, I'd tried it on my old GPU and just never tried it when got the new one.

Anyway, its working great. I need to get a hotas, as the joypad is hard to control and the VR hands controls do work but there is no feedback obviously plus it gets tiring holding your hands in mid air.

The second issue is trim - when I loose the stick my nose drops or rises. How do I trim the aircraft, is it something I have to bind to a special button or axis (especially when I get my hotas)?

I was planning to get T16000 stick and throttle combo so I can play this properly.

And also what extras can I get for free?
I used to that hotas I used the pinky buttons on the throttle as button modifiers in DCS world, so you would hold the button down and what every button you press next next would act as different button. Voice is also a good attack is good shout.

I highly recommend trying out the A4E skyhawk mod its free and its better some full priced planes.

Last edited:
Associate
Agreed on both the Skyhawk mod and VoiceAttack.
A simple thing I do is stick some bits of bluetack on my keyboard to specific keys... helps finding your way in the "dark"
You can also build button boxes pretty cheaply if you have a 3D printer, and the Cougar MFD's are also very handy if you've got about £80 spare.

Back
Top Bottom