*** Official Dota 2 Thread ***

Caporegime
OP
Is the game played on just 1 map?

Is there any progression to be had? As all levels reset for each new game.

Is there anything which you keep as an overall aim/goal?

Yeah it is but valve plans to add mod tools eventually I believe which can be really good fun.

You get the basic level up depending on how much you play. Everytime you do level up you are guaranteed an item, all items are purely cosmetic but some awesome ones, as far as progression that is it though which is a good sign in some ways as too many games need unlocks to persuade people to play these days.

You may be interested in item trading I don't know, some of the stuff you can get from chests that drop (require a £2 key to open I think but you can trade items for them) can have very rare couriers worth in excess of £100, even around £300.

Also you can get strange cosmetics that record kills, wards bought etc and things specific to each class

Permabanned
Yeah it is but valve plans to add mod tools eventually I believe which can be really good fun.

You get the basic level up depending on how much you play. Everytime you do level up you are guaranteed an item, all items are purely cosmetic but some awesome ones, as far as progression that is it though which is a good sign in some ways as too many games need unlocks to persuade people to play these days.

You may be interested in item trading I don't know, some of the stuff you can get from chests that drop (require a £2 key to open I think but you can trade items for them) can have very rare couriers worth in excess of £100, even around £300.

Also you can get strange cosmetics that record kills, wards bought etc and things specific to each class

Ok, thanks for clearing that up...

Lastly, how do I equip items? Bought all the starter ones yesterday and they just sat in my inventory, couldnt figure out how to actually use them.

Soldato
Just had a weird thing, I went to look for DOTA2 on steam and it says I already own it?

I can't remmeber ever playing it or buying it for £22.50. Is this a bug ?

Caporegime
OP
Ah okay. Does any one know if this game is going to be f2p like LoL ?

It is f2p they just can't officially release because the amount of people wanting to play will murder the servers

Ok, thanks for clearing that up...

Lastly, how do I equip items? Bought all the starter ones yesterday and they just sat in my inventory, couldnt figure out how to actually use them.

Items you buy can either be usable or just stat boosters/passive auras.

If you are in your base items go directly into one of 6 slots, after that you have a stash which can store items you buy when not at base or when full. You can bring the items from your stash to you via use of courier or simply picking them up when back at base.

Default keybinds for using the items 1-6 are Alt +Q/W/E/A/S/D IIRC, I personally change my item binds to 1-5 + spacebar.

Items that you would buy that are usable at the start would be healing salve (health potion), tangos (you press to use them then click on a tree to consume it.) or clarity (mana potion).

The 'potion' ones will have their effect end if you take any attacks from an enemy, other recommended items like 'Iron branch' have + 1 stats, so they just sit in your inventory giving you the stat boost, once you start getting better items and are full on space you should sell or just drop iron branches as they are worth so little.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah okay. Does any one know if this game is going to be f2p like LoL ?

yeah it's going to be F2P but the only way atm is to get a beta key randomly when you sign up to the survey or to buy a £22.50 pack that includes some cosmetic items and a key, some people who are into TF2/DotA trading normally sell keys seperate for around £10 though over paypal, or trade them for TF2 keys.

Permabanned
It is f2p they just can't officially release because the amount of people wanting to play will murder the servers

Items you buy can either be usable or just stat boosters/passive auras.

If you are in your base items go directly into one of 6 slots, after that you have a stash which can store items you buy when not at base or when full. You can bring the items from your stash to you via use of courier or simply picking them up when back at base.

Default keybinds for using the items 1-6 are Alt +Q/W/E/A/S/D IIRC, I personally change my item binds to 1-5 + spacebar.

Items that you would buy that are usable at the start would be healing salve (health potion), tangos (you press to use them then click on a tree to consume it.) or clarity (mana potion).

The 'potion' ones will have their effect end if you take any attacks from an enemy, other recommended items like 'Iron branch' have + 1 stats, so they just sit in your inventory giving you the stat boost, once you start getting better items and are full on space you should sell or just drop iron branches as they are worth so little.

Ok, so when they are in one of the 6 slots in my inventory does that mean I am receiving the stats from them? Armour for example.

Permabanned
yeah it's going to be F2P but the only way atm is to get a beta key randomly when you sign up to the survey or to buy a £22.50 pack that includes some cosmetic items and a key, some people who are into TF2/DotA trading normally sell keys seperate for around £10 though over paypal, or trade them for TF2 keys.

Or buy this months PC Gamer. Free beta key comes with it.

Soldato
You can rosh him by lvl 6 and 7 the latest. Lvl 10 is quite late :)

Also iviv if you find people have warded it and try to come gank you try buying smoke if deceit and using it in your jungle before running in

Thanks for the tips guys! Will see if I can work on it a little more then :)
I do mostly play with a group of friends though. Usually 6-8 of us, so we play practice mode with bots just because we prefer it to be less serious. 3v3, 3v4 or 4v4, dividing the teams up because there's such a huge range of skill levels between us. I was the highest level player as Ursa, helped by the Roshan kills, and by the end of the game I was roaming and just ganking anyone who was out of position on their team. But I was having no end of trouble with their Queen of Pain. She would just blink out as soon as I tried to engage, and even though I was faster than her, it wasn't enough to catch her before another blink. In the end I bought the Orchid to silence her, but she had Linken's which just cancelled it out anyway, and since Ursa has no actual spells to cast on her, I didn't have anything to set Linken's off before using the Orchid, which was a little annoying. Besides getting someone else to roam with me, what would you suggest in this situation?

Caporegime
OP
DOUBLE ORCHID.

Nah at late stage with Ursa it is unlikely you would be alone, although Ursa really has limited items that he needs due to damage coming heavily from his W E R, he can still tear through people with very little. I'd personally pick up a sheep stick so you definitely catch them as opposed to an orchid :p. (Then again I'd be miles ahead if I was picking that up.)

You already had a blink dagger though right? If not get one.

Ok, so when they are in one of the 6 slots in my inventory does that mean I am receiving the stats from them? Armour for example.

Yeah :) you can test it out by looking at your stats by dropping and picking up items.

Soldato
DOUBLE ORCHID.

Nah at late stage with Ursa it is unlikely you would be alone, although Ursa really has limited items that he needs due to damage coming heavily from his W E R, he can still tear through people with very little. I'd personally pick up a sheep stick so you definitely catch them as opposed to an orchid :p. (Then again I'd be miles ahead if I was picking that up.)

You already had a blink dagger though right? If not get one.

Yeah :) you can test it out by looking at your stats by dropping and picking up items.

I've always been terrible at using items, because I need to get my keyboard set up properly for them. With the default skills being qwer and the items being 4-9 on the keypad its just far too far. On the bright side, I now have a use for my G15's macro keys. 3 keys for items, 3 keys for the three skills he can use, and I'll be sorted :D

Soldato
I've always been terrible at using items, because I need to get my keyboard set up properly for them. With the default skills being qwer and the items being 4-9 on the keypad its just far too far. On the bright side, I now have a use for my G15's macro keys. 3 keys for items, 3 keys for the three skills he can use, and I'll be sorted :D

hm, not sure what the default are, I changed my keybinds before I even played, but I have skills on QWER and items on 1-6, much easier, courier is on V and characters on C, works alright for me.

Caporegime
OP
hm, not sure what the default are, I changed my keybinds before I even played, but I have skills on QWER and items on 1-6, much easier, courier is on V and characters on C, works alright for me.

This but last item on space bar for your 'oh ****' item. I.e. Mek/BKB

Associate
Thanks Purdy. I am going to jump on when I get home tonight.

Really determined to get into this!

Hi mate, if your looking for someone to play with and show you the ropes then add me on steam and we can have a 2 player against the AI or something. I'm not a great player but know all the basics. steam name: ddos_

Back
Top Bottom