*** Official Elder Scrolls MMO Thread ***

Soldato
I think the big thing that'll make this interesting is the potentially massive fan base it'll bring over from existing TES games.

That said, you'd think SWTOR would be able to bring in a relatively large fan base relatively easily...

From what I've seen from the devs and from those who got to do Alpha testing it seems like it should be quite cool.

PvP looks like a neat idea too, although how well guilds will work will be interesting.

Not sure how I feel about the whole mega server thing grouping you with similar players.
It's a neat idea, but actually some of the fun is playing with a different group of players. I also have no idea how they're going to put into place the infrastructure to support one of these megaservers. If they pull it off though it has great potential.

kd

Associate
not at all what i expected, like people said before it just looks like another wow clone, graphics ect seem decent, it just looks like it will get very boring very quickly

Soldato
Did the dev's just take Rift and re-brand it with some diff character models ?

As much as I loved Morrowind/Oblivion I couldn't get into Skyrim and I guess I was hoping the MMo would at least try to be different and bring something unique.

Still, having said that I'll wait until I get some hands on testing before making a proper judgement.

Soldato
TRUE FIRST PERSON COMBAT JUST LIKE SKYRIM!!!!!

I listened to a podcast this morning that confirmed this too, good news. My only worry with 1st person combat is that the encounters can't be to complex as you can't see as much of the enviroment as when you are using a 3rd person viewpoint.

I really hope they stick to their guns with the apparent timescales invlvoed in levelling etc, its about time MMO dev's remembered the journey can be just as important as the destination.

The more I hear about ESO though, the more I'm looking forward to it.

Must.Think.Negative.

Soldato
doubt it's first person combat like skyrim etc most likely its just so you can just go into first person mode like world of warcraft

Soldato
I think this is one where I will watch how it pans out from afar and join if its good after 3-4 month. It sounds like a synergy in how it works between gw2/wow which could be really interesting, innovation rather than cloning is always a good thing.

I may have missed it in the OP but have they said whether or not there will be a sub?

Soldato
OP
doubt it's first person combat like skyrim etc most likely its just so you can just go into first person mode like world of warcraft

No, they specifically stated it was just like Skyrim.

Fans were pretty upset after learning that the first person mode in The Elder Scrolls Online, a feature long time players have been rooting for, would be extremely limited. After all, it's kind of expected with this franchise.

I was able to test out the fairly underwhelming first person mode at a preview event last week, which as previously reported, didn't feature arms, weapons, or full functionality. After asking a few developers about this detriment to the game, noting that including this feature would sell the game to a much larger audience, they responded with a smile, "we have something to show you later."

What they showed me was in-game footage of a fully playable first person mode that looked just like a classic Elder Scrolls game. It was fast, fluid, and extremely impressive, to the point where it looked like they were playing Oblivion or Skyrim at times. Yep, I'm playing the entire game this way.

Zenimax claims that this build is currently playable and in testing, and "will ship complete with the game at launch." A launch that they also confirmed will be available on Mac OSX day one.

http://www.destructoid.com/elder-scrolls-online-will-fully-support-first-person-play-248674.phtml

Last edited:
Soldato
Urgh Subs.

Will stay well clear until it gets hugely positive reviews. Risky going sub based as it clashed with wow directly then there are a lot of players enjoying good f2p games. (Gw2/ps2)

Looks interesting though and will keep a good eye out!

Soldato
Its going to go like this: A lot of noise will be made about it and some people will talk about how its going to kill off WoW, it will launch to a massive fanfare but it will quickly become apparent that WoW is now so far ahead that nobody can catch up, if this new pretender to the throne does offer anything new/innovative then it will be added to WoW, The new game will fail to improve/progress at the speed needed to catch WoW and will fall further behind, as numbers dwindle it will eventually go free to play.

Of course this game could be different, unlike Rift, Aion, Star wars, Conan, LOTR, Guildwars 2, Warhammer, etc, etc.

Soldato
Well your wrong about gw2 as it never had a sub, hasn't lost players and is still going well and growing.

Apart from that I agree! I think f2p is now the best model as gw2 and ps2 have shown, competing with wow on a sub puts you at an instant disadvantage as not many people are willing to pay 2 subs and so expect instant results. Failure to compete with wow from day one with a sub sees people losing their sub base so fast.

Sad but true.

Back
Top Bottom