**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Soldato
The perks are an issue early game as there are quite a few you really need quickly. Aquaboy being another one so you don't take rads travelling through water.

Yes it was a humbling experience at L45 being able to one or two strike Assaultrons in vanilla to find myself getting pwned!

what weapons are you using a toffee hammer, man up lol. i'm level 52 and haven't been killed once since starting automotron and i'm just doing the final bit now. even the big boy robot went down in less than 15 seconds.

i think it's all dependant what perks you take and what armour your in, i'm in fully upgraded X01 with agility paint.

Soldato
what weapons are you using a toffee hammer, man up lol. i'm level 52 and haven't been killed once since starting automotron and i'm just doing the final bit now. even the big boy robot went down in less than 15 seconds.

i think it's all dependant what perks you take and what armour your in, i'm in fully upgraded X01 with agility paint.

Real men do it in their pyjamas... :)

Seriously last play through I only touched the PA once, on the rescue gormless Garvey mission. Most of the time I was going round in my upgraded Silver Shroud outfit, until I could get ballistic weave. L52 is still 7 above L45 and I had focused almost entirely on the melee build which, despite some of the optimistic claims on Reddit, is not as OP as you might think!

Soldato
I wouldnt bother with Aquaboy really, seems a waste of a perk. Not much need to go swimming and there is Rad-X and not too hard to find hazmat suits.

Finally finished the main quest on one of the endings (railroad). Level 62, 7d 5 hours played. Didn't want it to end really. I wish these games didn't take so long to make but I can understand why they do.

Did the Automatron DLC a couple of weeks ago, upgraded the robo companion to be the best mule It could be. I don't know why I was still hoarding everything I found at the end of the game, I have 72k gold and probably another 500k in stuff if I sold it. :o

Associate
In vanilla I'd agree it's fairly useless when you could instead pop a Rad X followed by a radaway when you finish swimming but in survival where you can take a lot of water based shortcuts it seems like it'll be fairly valuable.

Last edited:
Soldato
In vanilla I'd agree it's fairly useless when you could instead pop a Rad X followed by a radaway when you finish swimming but in survival where you can take a lot of water based shortcuts it seems like it'll be fairly valuable.

True, its a shame survival mode wasnt in the release game as i would have given it a go. As it has taken me 5 months to finish the vanilla I dont think I can be spare the time now as much as I want to, i have bought many game over the last few months and not touchde them.
I was late to the party with Fallout 3 and played a very modded version which contained a lot of the survival additions except the non save.

Wasteland Workshop - now live on Steam, only £3.99 so bought. Now just need to figure out what to do with it! Maybe we can put Preston Garvey and Ma Murphy in the arena...

Semms an odd DLC to release at this stage when most peoplw would have finished the game. Not sure why it would make you come back.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
you just have to look at the number of mods for building to see how popular it is..this at least gives more options to console players that they didnt have previously

I like the street lights a lot as well as the fire braziers, give a lovelys atmosphere to my settlements

Soldato
This is one DLC that could have done with being accompanied by a manual. I'm struggling to see how you string all the bits together to make the arena, how you "capture" the people and creatures and what the end gain is for the player. Any thoughts welcome!

Also appears very resource heavy and here I am struggling to find enough crystal and circuitry just to get the basic settlements ticking over!

Still, it might be a long term project for Starlight Drive In and the rad removal gate will save on Radaway supplies.

Edit:
Thinking about this further, more the missed opportunities, a few things that would have been useful to include:-
Wider Workshop radius around settlements.
The ability to completely demolish semi-derelict structures and generally tidy up locations to start from scratch.
A portable workshop (utility belt!?) which for a weight penalty could have been carried round and used to scrap non portable items found outside the settlement radius.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
sweet sweet heaven..you can stack the concrete wall sections on top of each other!!

One of the first mods I installed was stackable concrete walls. They are so useful.

On the subject of building, here's something obvious that I overlooked for ages which might be useful to people who want to build buildings with internal rooms.

When I first started building, I found it almost impossible to make buildings with internal walls. I was building in the obvious order: foundation, exterior walls, ceiling, internal walls, repeat the last 3 steps for each floor. When it came to building internal walls, there was nothing for the first section to snap too so I had to free-place it. The other internal wall sections snapped end to end, which meant that unless I had managed to place the first section exactly along the line between two floor sections the wall would get further off line the longer it got. This almost always made it impossible to accurately place internal wall sections perpendicularly to section off rooms. They wouldn't match up with the first internal wall. Either there was a gap in the corners or there wasn't enough space for the perpendicular walls.

Then I realised what I was doing wrong - the build order. After building the foundation and the external walls, decide where you want your interior walls and build one ceiling section each to the side of those positions, snapped to the exterior wall. You can then snap an internal wall section to that ceiling section, guaranteeing that it will be exactly along the line between two floor sections and so every wall section snapped to it will be on that line too. Then you do the rest of the ceiling, which will snap to either the external wall or an existing ceiling section. It's then easy to fit the perpendicular walls to make rooms, as the gap will be a whole number of sections. Repeat for each floor.

My standard apartment building is 5 squares wide with a central corridor and rooms 2 squares wide to each side. So I build the floor, the external walls and one ceiling section in the middle at one end. I snap a wall section to each side of the ceiling and there's my perfect starting points to build two straight walls right along the floor section lines to form the corridor. Same again for the next floor, for however many floors of apartments I want. Store a wall section and replace it with a door section (which is guaranteed to fit exactly since it's the same size) as required to make the doorway into an apartment.

Man of Honour
This is one DLC that could have done with being accompanied by a manual. I'm struggling to see how you string all the bits together to make the arena, how you "capture" the people and creatures and what the end gain is for the player. Any thoughts welcome!

Also appears very resource heavy and here I am struggling to find enough crystal and circuitry just to get the basic settlements ticking over!

Still, it might be a long term project for Starlight Drive In and the rad removal gate will save on Radaway supplies.

Edit:
Thinking about this further, more the missed opportunities, a few things that would have been useful to include:-
Wider Workshop radius around settlements.
The ability to completely demolish semi-derelict structures and generally tidy up locations to start from scratch.
A portable workshop (utility belt!?) which for a weight penalty could have been carried round and used to scrap non portable items found outside the settlement radius.

There are mods for all of those things. There are mods for pretty much all of the missed opportunities. Mods completely rescue building in Fallout 4.

There are caveats, though.

Altering the buildable radius might trigger the cell reset bug (which removes things from some containers in some circumstances).

Scrapping things not scrappable in the vanilla game might also do so, but the Spring Cleaning mod has been made to not do so. On the downside, some things are not scrappable with it. For example, in Sanctuary I have scrapped all the buildings apart from the roof frame of my pre-war house which for some reason can't be scrapped without triggering the cell reset bug. Spring cleaning even allows you to scrap piles of leaves, tufts of grass, rocks, trees, weeds, vines, piles of rubbish...all sorts of things.

The portable workshop mod really is a portable workshop, so it allows you to build an entire new settlement anywhere because a settlement is simply an area around a workshop. Bugs are probably quite likely with that one.

What I'd really like to see in a patch is an increase to the settlement keyword limit. It's far too low, which makes it impossible for mods to organise the extra stuff to build in a convenient way. Say, for example, a mod adds 37 new lights that could be conveniently grouped into 6 categories. Doing that would add 6 keywords. A bad idea, since the game only allows for ~200 total and most of those are used by the unmodded game. So the mod author has to plop all 37 new lights under an existing lighting keyword, which puts them in the same menu in the building mode, which means a lot of scrolling through different lights to get to the one you want. Add a couple of mods that add a lot of things to build and you can find yourself having to scroll though a hundred items every time you want to build, for example, a rug. At least the game returns you to where you last were in a building menu for as long as you stay in building mode.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Angillon, if Beth don't come up with the goods I'll try that Spring Cleaning mod.

Incidentally, the new DLC has made things a bit buggy I tried to put a name up in neon lights outside my "common room" in Sanctuary and got an insta-CTD as soon as I put the first letter down.

Quick edit:- Do the unofficial mods protect against removing something that might be plot-critical (e.g. Corvega Factory) or is it user beware?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thanks Angillon, if Beth don't come up with the goods I'll try that Spring Cleaning mod.

Incidentally, the new DLC has made things a bit buggy I tried to put a name up in neon lights outside my "common room" in Sanctuary and got an insta-CTD as soon as I put the first letter down.

Quick edit:- Do the unofficial mods protect against removing something that might be plot-critical (e.g. Corvega Factory) or is it user beware?

User beware. It's always user beware with mods. The authors take care to not break things, but they might. Particularly with a game for which the content creation kit hasn't even been released and which is still in the relatively early stages of patching. Or maybe two mods will conflict, since there are many different mod authors working independently. Or maybe your save file will be corrupted.

Spring cleaning only allows the removal of stuff in a settlement and only some of that stuff (as far as I know, the mod author has limited what can be scrapped in order to avoid triggering the cell reset bug). So, for example, I can scrap every building in Sanctuary apart from the roof frame of my old house and I can scrap the entirety of Croup Manor, but I can't scrap any of the house in Huffington Boatyard or any of the buildings in Sunshine Estates. But I have no idea what would happen if you used another mod to make a settlement next to Corvega Factory and then used Spring Cleaning to try to scrap the entire factory. User beware.

I have 25 mods applied to Fallout 4 and I haven't had a single problem once I found out about the keyword limit and stuck to one of the really big "extra stuff to build" mods (I use Homemaker - Expanded Settlements). When I had 2 installed (to give more choice), I exceeded the keyword limit and whole categories of buildable things disappeared from the menus. It's an annoying limit that Bethesda have imposed (with no warnings about it) and I've no idea why they did it. Almost all of the mods I have installed are extra stuff to build (the others being small ones for individual items, like a clean mattress or 1x1 concrete blocks). The only non-building mods I have installed are texture optimisation, shutting up Preston and his never-ending radiant quests and stopping attacks on settlements (I got tired of 20 heavily armed and armoured settlers in a heavily fortified settlement with dozens of heavy turrets being unable to stop a few raiders armed with pipe pistols).

Last edited:
Soldato
Decision time

My heart says go with the Railroad, I feel the game wants me to go with the Institute, Brotherhood of Steel might be more spectacular and I suspect the safest is Minutemen.
Who I do I choose first time around - I know I can replay but 1st time is more exciting.
Andi.

Soldato
My heart says go with the Railroad, I feel the game wants me to go with the Institute, Brotherhood of Steel might be more spectacular and I suspect the safest is Minutemen.
Who I do I choose first time around - I know I can replay but 1st time is more exciting.
Andi.

As above go with the Brotherhood, they'll irritate the life out of you so sticking the middle finger up at them on the next play is even more satisfying although the Minutemen are equally annoying tbh.

Soldato
I went railroad as I thought it may be a bit more difficult. I didnt know you could go Minutemen, don't remember seeing any option.

I going to replay Fallout 3 with some mods as i have forgotten a lot of it then Ill come back to replay Fallout 4.

Back
Top Bottom