**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Soldato
I love it.
I am a PC player so if the issues are fixed with the motion sickness for me I be there playing.
There is no surprise that console Ui is there and you need to learn some new stuff.
for me the game offers something no fallout game or such have been able to do.
a living world with people.

They have massive feedback atm, so lets see what they do with it.

Coprophiliac or just a glutton for punishment?

Associate
Well also after a couple of hours last night i am going to cancel my pre order. i may buy in the future when they make improvements and changes to the game, but there are just some fundamental problems with the game that dont make it enjoyable which is a real shame :(

As @AWPC says gunplay is awful, it took ages to find a decent weapon and even then its bolt action so needs a reload after each shot, also i swear half of my on target shots didn't register! base building is clunky and not obvious, after building a small base, i then got a mission to build a base... so i thought i could just redeploy my base and it would bring everything with it... nope no idea what happened to my original base.

this game has very much been designed for the xbox and then they have bolted on the pc changes. i have an ultrawide and there is no support, i either play 16:9 full screen (stretched (yueuck)) or windowed (which rather than most games gives 2 black bars on each side this just sits to 1 side of the screen :/) so time to get a refund for me. sad times im just glad they are working on fallout 5

Associate
On top of it all, the lack of text chat & push to talk in a multiplayer game is just painful. I expect they will patch push to talk in but I don't expect them to include text chat anytime soon.

Anyway, good luck milking this one Bethesda with the likes of Red Dead online on the horizon for console players & a million better games on PC for the rest of us:p

Soldato
I love it.
I am a PC player so if the issues are fixed with the motion sickness for me I be there playing.
There is no surprise that console Ui is there and you need to learn some new stuff.
for me the game offers something no fallout game or such have been able to do.
a living world with people.

They have massive feedback atm, so lets see what they do with it.

I totally see where you are coming from, for me FO4 was iffy, it needed other real-players to make it feel alive but this new version feels really weird which is a shame as I really like the gun play etc.

I'm really torn, I detest the menu system, don't like the running about with open mics either but it feels like players are being shoved in together with no real thought of how to enable that interaction. That's fixable though.. fingers crossed but I doubt I'll buy at release, likely will dabble in it at some point though.

Soldato
Brilliant write up dude, thanks for information. You have pretty much confirmed every concern I had and I'll be giving it a miss.

The XP grind, the lack of single player ability and some of the staple Fallout mechanics that are missing make this one an Indiana Jones 4 to me, in that I'll just pretend it doesnt exist. :D:D

Yeh, it's Fallout, but not as we know it, Jim.

Soldato
Figured I'd throw my initial thoughts in as well:

Technical Points:

Lack of 21:9 support really does smack of laziness and it's a big sticking point for me. Thankfully my monitor supports automatic scaling so it's at least centralised, but I'm not impressed at having 3" black bars either side of the screen.

Very first impression of controls? Menu navigation is clunky as hell, with non-standard and un-intuitive key bindings. "Tab" to go back and "Space" to select? What's wrong with the standard "Esc" and "Enter" which every other PC game uses?, also other key bindings such as using the same key for melee and grenade? Then there's the stupid wheel for changing weapon, why can't I use my mouse wheel normally?!

Why can't I bind weapons using hotkeys, I have to favourite them in the correct order, or go through the stupid wheel to change the positions!

The trading menu is really slow as well, I really like the functionality, e.g. setting prices and quantity, but the implementation is terrible, it's so awkward to use with way too many button presses.

What's with having to access the Map first to get to the menu? That's just moronic.

Clearly the UI has been designed 100% for controllers, and at the last minute someone has realised most PC players actually use a mouse and keyboard and simply mapped the same functions to some arbitrary keys, rather than thinking about how it's actually going to work.

I've also encountered various glitches with enemies suddenly appearing, items showing up which don't actually exist in the world, shots not registering (my aiming may be bad, but a point-blank shotgun blast to the torso is pretty hard to mess up!).

Gameplay:

Despite the above, I really want to like this game. As a big fan of Fallout 3 and 4, it's definitely along the lines of more of the same, but it just seems to be missing something. Maybe it's because by their nature multiplayer games tend to lack the gravitas of single player, but while we were playing (me plus 2 friends) it didn't have that immersiveness that the previous games have.

The world feels empty. Really empty. It's great being able to boast about a huge map, but if 90% of that consists of a quarter mile of empty forest followed by an isolated house and repeat, then what's the point? It's not content, it's just filler!

We played for about 6 hours, and must have explored about 15-20% of the map, which doesn't bode well for longevity, I can see the end game just being a case of grinding to get the plans for a different kind of light or painting for your base....

Speaking of bases - what's the point in capturing the existing ones? We claimed a junkyard and built a few extractors for concrete & titanium, but as far as we could tell, anyone can take the generated resources anyway, so why bother to claim the base and use your own resources to build extractors when you can just take them from someone else's?

We also didn't really find much in the way of appropriate challenge; all the enemies we encountered were pretty easy 1-2 shot kills, except for a lvl 50 scorch beast which we could barely even scratch.

It's pretty obvious why the beta is in such short, restricted timeslots. I don't buy the nonsense about it being to concentrate the number of players for a second. I think it's because if it was online for the full 14 days, it would become clear very quickly that there's a severe lack of content.

I realise all of the above is pretty negative, which is a shame. We did have fun playing, but there are just so many little niggles, which unfortunately aren't really related to the fact it's a beta (e.g. I doubt they are going to completely re-do the UI for PC, or add twice as many locations before release), so I'm struggling to justify paying the ridiculous amount they're asking for.

It's clear that they don't want PC players, so to be perfectly honest, I think I'll be happy to give them what they want and cancel my pre-order.

Man of Honour
If they wanted to make a multiplayer Fallout 4 what they should have done was pay some modders to do it. It would have been even cheaper and they'd have done a better job.

[..] It's clear that they don't want PC players, so to be perfectly honest, I think I'll be happy to give them what they want and cancel my pre-order.

I have to admit I didn't think Bethesda would go down that route. It initially seems stupid and pointless to exclude the majority of their potential customers, but maybe they realised that PC gamers already have games that do everything FO76 can do but much better and therefore wrote off PC gamers as potential customers for FO76.

It's pretty obvious why the beta is in such short, restricted timeslots. I don't buy the nonsense about it being to concentrate the number of players for a second. I think it's because if it was online for the full 14 days, it would become clear very quickly that there's a severe lack of content.

It's a PvP MMO. One (bad) reason for making those is a belief that you don't need to make content for them because you can rely on the players fighting each other and perceiving that as content and all you need to do is throw in loads of "events" instead of actual content. That would explain why FO76 is a large play area with relatively little content. On top of the usual flaws in that approach to making a game, FO76 has another massive flaw - it's a bad PvP MMO because it's an unfocused mess of PvP and PvE using a PvE engine.

I'm going to hope for Bethesda fixing the worst of the bugs in the updated engine and then licensing it to another dev to use it to make a Fallout game that gives at least a modicum of consideration to the existence of PCs and is SP. For FO76, well, thank goodness for Oxhorn. I don't like his hyperdramatic breathless narration, but he does a fine job of detailed lore videos so I can watch those to explore the world of FO76 without having to endure the tedium and irritation of playing the game.

Associate
Watched Jack frags and TAG play some of this, and he was not very impressed with it so far. And i have to say what i have seen of it is not making me want to rush out and get it.

And I've watched Many a True Nerd (who like me actually likes Fallout) play it on YT and he appears to be really enjoying it.
Tommy didn't like Fallout 4 and I would say if you didn't like that then you have no chance of liking F76.
The play style and reaction of someone who doesn't even like Fallout playing F76 is not going to give the best impression of the game.

Soldato
I just got 3 BETA codes from Bethesda (check your transaction history if you already have the BETA they are giving 3 away to each current BETA user) to give away there are only 2 sessions left 1 is tomorrow for about 4 hours or so 9PM-1AM. Allow 3 hours minimum beforehand to grab the BETA then install it. Obviously do not be selfish & take the key unless your going to use it ;)

I will check back later today or tomorrow morning. 1st 3 people who ask for the keys in this thread I will PM with the BETA key via OCUK Trust :)

Back
Top Bottom