**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Soldato
Thanks very much - hopefully now I can play the game with my mate!!
NP :) Sure you can but allow at least 3 hours before the BETA starts as that is how long it takes to install & download!

9pm-1am UK Time (although US goes back an hour timezone wise so we may get another hour if this is the case. So far the BETA has not always ended on time usually you get a bit more time) its due to start this evening I am going to be concentrating on reaching the Mothman Museum & then will try to reach the far side of the map but so far I am finding its all locked behind higher levels so very hard to even sneak around without a very high lvl character due to the forced MMO aspect :rolleyes:

The lvl 50 flying scorch beast rains toxic radioactive clouds down on you which cause insta death you have no way to escape it & they seem to be guarding several higher lvl areas along with some other ridiculous high lvl quardians!

Go to the Uncanny Caverns on Thursday went inside it all looked promising as its dripping with atmosphere but sadly as seems to be the state this game is currently in nothing to do & feeling very empty & devoid of content once inside there :(

Soldato
NP :) Sure you can but allow at least 3 hours before the BETA starts as that is how long it takes to install & download!

9pm-1am UK Time (although US goes back an hour timezone wise so we may get another hour if this is the case. So far the BETA has not always ended on time usually you get a bit more time) its due to start this evening I am going to be concentrating on reaching the Mothman Museum & then will try to reach the far side of the map but so far I am finding its all locked behind higher levels so very hard to even sneak around without a very high lvl character due to the forced MMO aspect :rolleyes:

The lvl 50 flying scorch beast rains toxic radioactive clouds down on you which cause insta death you have no way to escape it & they seem to be guarding several higher lvl areas along with some other ridiculous high lvl quardians!

Go to the Uncanny Caverns on Thursday went inside it all looked promising as its dripping with atmosphere but sadly as seems to be the state this game is currently in nothing to do & feeling very empty & devoid of content once inside there :(

Thanks for the heads up!! MXR went into the Uncanny Caverns and said the same thing BTW!!

Soldato
BETA is not live yet for today tomorrow is a full 7 hours! Today is between 4-5 hours only. These things never run on time either sometimes they start very early & run later. Bethesda official Fallout account tweeted 20 mins ago its going live soon.

Associate
Just had a go at the beta, and at max settings/1080p getting almost a constant 60fps with just a few drops to 50.

Looks absolutely brilliant, an obvious improvement over Fallout 4.

Here's a video, which honestly doesn't do it justice due to compression.

Soldato
Looks absolutely brilliant

Really? I think it looks pants. Low res textures, there are no shadows cast indoors so everything just looks flat, outside, everything past 50y looks like it has been coated in Vaseline, terrain and assets just pop in right in front of you. The whole thing is a mess.

Associate
Really? I think it looks pants. Low res textures, there are no shadows cast indoors so everything just looks flat, outside, everything past 50y looks like it has been coated in Vaseline, terrain and assets just pop in right in front of you. The whole thing is a mess.

To each their own.

Man of Honour
What's with the MMO chatter in here. It's not an MMO in any shape or form. With 24 players per server it very far from 'massive'

It's designed as an MMO. It's 24 (or maybe 32) players per gameworld at any given time, but it will be different players each time. More importantly, every single aspect of the design is for multiplayer. Sort of massive and definitely multiplayer and definitely online would be more accurate, but SoMaDMaDO is a very clumsy abbreviation :)

I've watched hours of solo gameplay and it's mostly (but not entirely - some parts require a party) playable that way if other players allow you to do so(*) but even then they intrude. For example, one person I was watching spent some while searching an area for an item for a quest before realising that it had been looted by someone else and hadn't yet respawned. That'll be lots of fun. Then there's the intrusive audio...are those footsteps an enemy or another player?

So yeah, it's a SoMaDMaDO game :)

If they get it working properly after some patching (there are some terrible lag spikes, sometimes several seconds, bugged items that can't be removed from your inventory and are thus a reduction in carrying capacity, etc) and they bother to make even a half-hearted attempt at a PC UI and they fix the Pipboy screen (unlikely, as they never did in FO4 - a modder did that for them) I might consider it worth a tenner. It would be fun to explore a new semi-Fallout world and I am interested in the main story. I also like some of the gameplay mechanics, even the ones that have irritated some people. It's not realistic that you need to be level 10 to use an SMG or L5 to use a hunting rifle but L15 to use another hunting rifle that's exactly the same but somehow 50% more powerful...but there would be some fun in gathering experience and finally being able to use that weapon or piece of armour you've been carrying around for a while.

* For example: While attacking another player does hardly any damage unless they attack back, there's nothing to stop someone standing in front of you hitting you with a club and following you around so you can't play the game.

Soldato

Completely agree with you

Sure just sent you 1 of 3 hope you like it & report back some feedback for others!

Thanks, review follows

a) The menu UI is crap.
b) Changing graphics presets didn't change at all, remained "LOW", looking flat without shadows and like I was trying to play Fallout 3 on low settings.
c) Same applies to Screen mode. Windowed, Borderless and Fullscreen do nothing even when restarting the game. (very crap UI even on the menu here). The game runs always on Windowed mode at full screen.
d) Character creation. The character settings menu/UI are worse ever saw since forever. Might work with controllers but not with keyboard and mouse. Especially trying to change your face settings, good luck with that.
And is crappy also due to...
e) Performance. Very low FPS on the Vega 64. Tried Ultra, High and Low presets, locked at 30fps. Which look more like 15 fps, as I have XboxX and PS4P and 30fps doesn't look like that.
f) So decided to install 18.10.2 as they are the Fallout 76 drivers. Nothing changed, locked 30fps and crap graphics even on Ultra. (used DDU, CCleaner and fresh drivers, using 18.10.1 before).
So went and activated the HWInfo as the Radeon overlay doesn't work on this game since it is running on windowed mode. According to HWINfo the HBM ram speed works at 500Mhz and the GPU at maximum 820Mhz!!!!!!!
No other game experiencing those issues and the card normally clocks to 945 and 1620 respectively on Turbo Preset. Custom OC doesn't work either with the card idling also.

So I had a run around but impossible to play with the game looking like slideshow. Reminded me the ATI 9700 when needed to replace it when bought Oblivion.

UPDATE
I fixed the performance by
a) In Fallout76Prefs.ini set the
iPresentInterval=0 (unlock FPS)
bFull Screen=1
bBorderless=0

Last edited:
Soldato
I watched my friend playing this game, it seemed a complete load of turd...

IDK the jury is still out. Feels more like Fallout 4 than Fallout 3 & New Vegas. Too much bloom on graphics, washing out details and the world, and especially that bright sun is kinda annoying.
What fixes a bit the immersion is to raise the FOV, but that is found on Fallout76.ini no ingame sliders.

However I will give it a try on tomorrows session, as I will have the full 7 hours free. (7pm to 2am).

Soldato
I had a go and here are my first impressions in no particular order:
1.)Some of the texture quality is still surprising low resolution,and the models can look a tad blocky.
2.)Interior lighting is hit and miss.
3.)View distances are far better than Fallout 4.
4.)Combat seems much slower and clunkier than Fallout 4.
5.)The player character seems to have severe thirst issues and hunger issues. Drinking a soup,shouldn't make you feel thirsty 5 minutes later,and you need to eat way too often. You would piddling and pooing all the time at the rate you need to eat and drink in the game.
6.)Performance on a Ryzen 5 2600 and GTX1080 at the max settings allowed,was more or less a constant 60FPS at qHD,and only a quick turn would have FPS drop below that.
7.)The engine seems to spread core load a bit better than before,but it still seems to push one or two cores.
8.)The world feels empty - its not so bad if you are levelling up,and want to explore though. However,I can see it being an issue longterm,and as there are no live NPCs it will make the rewards seem hollow.
9.)The UI is not really intuitive for PC,especially the social menus.
10.)Character creation menu was a bit hit and miss.
11.)Bethesda have not impoved character models that much,and for some reason the character bodies seem quite bloated,and wide. The stock face models also look weird.
12.)The intro video dipped below 60FPS(!)
13.)Apparently people survived the war for decades,but magically a few years before you leave the Vault,are all gone or dead. It can't be that long as the bodies are still there. How convenient.
14.)You need to restart the game if you want to make any changes to the graphical settings.
15.)The nukes are central to the story.
16.)The story makes no sense - why would you send some of the brightness people in the US outside without any weapons?
17.)The Vault shuts down 24 hours after the people leave - what idiotic story writing is that?? If anything having the Vault as backup would be important to start a new civilisation and contradicts the lore.
18.)The stories told through the notes and audio logs is actually reasonably well done
19.)Paying caps to fast travel - LMAO.
20.)The cards system is OKish but the whole system seems very simplified and instead of fine tuning your character yourself,you need to rely on building it around the cards. Meh.

Was it fun?? Yes,but I can see myself playing this for a while,then getting bored. The fun aspect is more adding to the existing lore for me. Hence I am questioning whether this is worth £40 to £50. It might be fine at £20ish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished the latest BETA session for 5 hours. I now have about 16 hours in it overall with another 7 tomorrow if I can stomach it (probably not but I may get another few hours in as its the last time I will ever play this unless its turned into a Free To Play title like it should be!):

CONS:
1: Empty vacant world. Feels lifeless as for the most part it is there is so little going on its shocking to think Bethesda could even contemplate releasing this as a pay to own product :eek:
2: Very few actual buildings or locations most of its just empty landscape & lengthy walking around & trying to avoid instant death & retracking your steps to recover your items.
3: I have explored almost the entire map now. So few actual buildings to even enter. None have anything more than a few rooms either. All look very similar no variety whatsoever.
4: No extensive underground bunkers or underground locations at all. Its almost all above ground designed for MMO surface combat. Exploration only Fallout players are not catered for very well at all.
5: Spent ages travelling to The Mothman Museum thinking it must be a fantastic location with a name like that in West Virginia...when I eventually arrived there all I found was a bland location some old church with nothing whatsoever to do with the Mothman except some lame tiny little cartoon gfx outside the building. No atmospheric mythos. No hidden bunker or basement with cool mythos in. Nothing whatsoever. Then in the same tiny little location across the road hidden in a house after some unavoidable Ghouls lame battle I found 2 Holotapes with some weak audio Mothman based story. That's my reward for spending ages to even reach it as its heavily guarded you have to sneak a lot which takes forever :mad:
6: Found an actual Nuclear Bomb Code :p :D then realised you have to spend hours on some weak fetch quest to be allowed to use it in the bunker terminal :eek: this fetch quest also involves travelling a very long way. I cannot be bothered to even attempt it as it requires a lot of higher level combat. God knows how long it would take to find all the Nuclear Bomb release codes to launch a single nuke :eek:
7: Vast majority of the graphics are clearly Fallout 4 assets re-used or with very minor cosmetic changes. Very little new graphical artwork most is taken directly 1:1 from Fallout 4. Such a cheap & lame move by Bethesda. They spent time on the landscape streaming artwork that is very different in places but everything else is pretty much identical to Fallout 4.
8: Its an MMO through & through. Every single gameplay aspect is built around having a squad of clan mates. Solo is possible but so time consuming & frustrating I doubt many people will buy this for Solo play or exploration.
9: What is really annoying is how little resource there is ingame now. You are expected to be constantly building & crafting every single thing. There is so little around. Health, Water, Rads especially constantly nag you its very rare to find a single Stimpak. Fallout 4 had just the right amount of resource. 76 has so little its a very frustrating exercise to get basic upgrades & keep basic ammo & health levels within reason. This leads to instant death many times as you do not have enough to fight or survive so keep having to backtrack again & again in certain places as the MMO design is built around you have 3 other people to revive you.
10: Weapons are really weak, underpowered & break in the middle of a fight without warning! Again this is so forced to extend gameplay time & very frustrating.
11: Every single thing requires you find a Blueprint. This means you are spending an unreasonable amount of time fetching & carrying inventory items to build the basic resource you need. This is just time consuming & unproductive its just a massive time sink with no enjoyment in the gathering.

12: Found Vault 94. It was locked & looks like a paid for DLC landing point for the future (if this game has one!)
13: Just remembered Bobbleheads being temp perks only is another lame design choice as well! Just make them perm your character is already losing health constantly & needs water & food to keep going so why the need to nerf Bobbleheads!

PROS:
1: At times some of the new streaming Fallout landscape looks ok nothing better looking than Nuka World or Far Harbour DLC but similar fidelity just lower quality settings here due to low res textures.
2: Bethesda have been very brave in allowing so much playtime on the BETA. This is not going to be well received at all no wonder its not on Steam they would have a meltdown from millions of refunds ;)
3: This has to be made Free To Play sooner or later & allow modders on PC to do their own thing. No way will it last very long as a commercial product as it stands right now the content is so limited.
4: Starfield & the proper solo mode Fallout 5 will come sooner than expected due to the poor commercial reception this game will attract!
5: I have explored almost the entire map now. I can safely say there is absolutely nothing a Fallout 4 fan would miss if they never even played 76. The content is so limited it could easily be made into a Fallout 4 DLC expansion if Bethesda want to spend some time on crafting proper NPCs & Solo missions.

Best thing Bethesda could do right now is admit they are so wrong on many levels either make this a free to play for all or try to assign a small dev team to turn it into a Fallout 4 DLC product instead. It would work as that commercially if sold cheaply. As it stands the commercial reception & critical reaction from unsuspecting Fallout fans will be more savage than an angry Deathclaw :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
I had a go and here are my first impressions in no particular order:
1.)Some of the texture quality is still surprising low resolution,and the models can look a tad blocky.
2.)Interior lighting is hit and miss.
3.)View distances are far better than Fallout 4.
4.)Combat seems much slower and clunkier than Fallout 4.
5.)The player character seems to have severe thirst issues and hunger issues. Drinking a soup,shouldn't make you feel thirsty 5 minutes later,and you need to eat way too often. You would piddling and pooing all the time at the rate you need to eat and drink in the game.
6.)Performance on a Ryzen 5 2600 and GTX1080 at the max settings allowed,was more or less a constant 60FPS at qHD,and only a quick turn would have FPS drop below that.
7.)The engine seems to spread core load a bit better than before,but it still seems to push one or two cores.
8.)The world feels empty - its not so bad if you are levelling up,and want to explore though. However,I can see it being an issue longterm,and as there are no live NPCs it will make the rewards seem hollow.
9.)The UI is not really intuitive for PC,especially the social menus.
10.)Character creation menu was a bit hit and miss.
11.)Bethesda have not impoved character models that much,and for some reason the character bodies seem quite bloated,and wide. The stock face models also look weird.
12.)The intro video dipped below 60FPS(!)
13.)Apparently people survived the war for decades,but magically a few years before you leave the Vault,are all gone or dead. It can't be that long as the bodies are still there. How convenient.
14.)You need to restart the game if you want to make any changes to the graphical settings.
15.)The nukes are central to the story.
16.)The story makes no sense - why would you send some of the brightness people in the US outside without any weapons?
17.)The Vault shuts down 24 hours after the people leave - what idiotic story writing is that?? If anything having the Vault as backup would be important to start a new civilisation and contradicts the lore.
18.)The stories told through the notes and audio logs is actually reasonably well done
19.)Paying caps to fast travel - LMAO.
20.)The cards system is OKish but the whole system seems very simplified and instead of fine tuning your character yourself,you need to rely on building it around the cards. Meh.

Was it fun?? Yes,but I can see myself playing this for a while,then getting bored. The fun aspect is more adding to the existing lore for me. Hence I am questioning whether this is worth £40 to £50. It might be fine at £20ish.

Mostly agree with this. Can't see myself paying £40 for this. The world is just dead.

But don't agree with any of the low performance issues widespred, and it looks like **** nonsese.

Back
Top Bottom