falloutlogo.png

Developer - Obsidian Entertainment
Publisher - Bethesda Softworks
UK Release Date - 22nd October 2010
Official Website - http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/home/home.php

13456541x.jpg

13456536x.jpg

Overview

Experience all the sights and sounds of fabulous New Vegas, brought to you by Vault-Tec, America's First Choice in Post Nuclear Simulation. Explore the treacherous wastes of the Great Southwest from the safety and comfort of your very own vault: Meet new people, confront terrifying creatures, and arm yourself with the latest high-tech weaponry as you make a name for yourself on a thrilling new journey across the Mojave wasteland. A word of warning, however - while Vault-Tec engineers have prepared for every contingency, in Vegas, fortunes can change in an instant. Enjoy your stay.

Setting

Fallout: New Vegas takes place during the year 2280, three years after Fallout 3 and 203 years after the Great War of 2077, making this installment the chronologically latest in the series thus far. The game is set in post-apocalyptic Las Vegas, Nevada and the Mojave Desert. Unlike other cities in the Fallout series, Vegas was not struck directly by a nuclear attack. Its buildings remain intact, and mutation of its inhabitants is minimal.

The city is divided between various factions, most notably The New California Republic (NCR), Ceasar's Legion, and the factions of New Vegas itself. Landmarks featured in Fallout: New Vegas include the Hoover Dam that supplies power to the city and the Helios 1 solar energy plant.

Story

The game places the player in the role of a courier. The courier, while delivering a package with unknown contents, is found unconscious in a shallow grave after a failed assassination attempt by an unknown assailant. The courier is treated for injuries by a local caregiver, Doc Mitchell. Thereafter the player enters into character creation (defining skills and attributes, name, gender, age and appearance) before investigating the assassination attempt, recovering the stolen package, and exploring the world.

Combat and Weapons

The Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, or V.A.T.S., will have the ability to use new special attacks. Usage of certain melee weapons will trigger unique attack animations. For example, using 9-Iron (a golf club) would show up as "Fore" and sends the enemy reeling for a period. Also Obsidian Entertainment has added the ability to use the iron sights on all guns.

New weapons, some Fallout 3 weapons and a weapon modification system are introduced in Fallout: New Vegas. The modification system allow for weapon modifications, such as mounting scopes, modifying rate of fire and changing size of magazine.

Reputation and Dialogue

The quantity of factions prompted developers to reintroduce the reputation system that was absent in Fallout 3. The degree of faction loyalty influences the player's reputation. Reputation affects the behavior of faction non-player characters (NPCs) toward the player, and reflects the impacts of selected choices in the world.

Availability of dialogue options with NPCs are based upon skills, reputation and karma. Skills have a bigger effect on conversation choices. The success or failure of speech is dependent on skill level rather than chance as seen in Fallout 3.

Companions

Companion behavior and tasks are controlled using the Companion Wheel. Fallout 3 presented companion commands in a conversational text menu. The new Companion Wheel offers command execution by selecting commands that are presented in a radial and graphical menu. Josh Sawyer states the Companion Wheel offers ease of companion interaction. Such examples of companion commands include setting and changing its combat tactics, its default behavior towards foes and usage frequency of available resources.

Hardcore mode

An optional mode, Hardcore mode, delivers a sense of realism and intensity into the gaming environment. Gaming difficulty is increased, and encourages players to implement effective strategies, careful considerations in resource management, combat tactics, and high attention to the surrounding environment. The features that increase gaming difficulty are as follows:

*Delayed healing rather than instant healing
*Healing crippled limbs require a high medicine skill and medical items
*Ammunition will have weight
*Requirement of water consumption to avoid dehydration and death
*Requirement of food consumption and sleeping to avoid starvation and sleep *deprivation.

Official Screenshots

screen16b.jpg

screen15b.jpg

screen14b.jpg

screen13b.jpg

screen12b.jpg

screen11b.jpg

screen10b.jpg

screen09b.jpg

screen08b.jpg

screen07b.jpg

screen06b.jpg

screen05br.jpg

screen04b.jpg

screen03b.jpg

screen02b.jpg

screen01b.jpg

Trailers

Debut Teaser Trailer

E3 2010 Official Trailer

E3 2010 Demo Teaser

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok this is my first ***OMG OFFICIAL*** thread, so apologies if its not up to your expectations (a lot of copy/paste used) and its a little bit early i know, but i wanted to do an official thread so thought id jump in there with a reasonably big title :o

Anyone else really excited by this? I loved Fallout 3 and will be preordering this for sure, actually cannot wait :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I like the idea of it, however I will probably wait a good few months before I get it as I will simply not have the time to play it, what with Dead Rising 2, Test Drive Unlimited 2, GT5, Black Ops to play over the coming months.

Soldato
OP
I like the idea of it, however I will probably wait a good few months before I get it as I will simply not have the time to play it, what with Dead Rising 2, Test Drive Unlimited 2, GT5, Black Ops to play over the coming months.

Im having to limit the amout of games i buy (spend far too much) so i should have a gap to spare ;)

Can't wait for it tbh :D

I didn't even want the first one and bought it cos i was bored and sunk far too many hours into it. :)

I was the same with Oblivion, i actually returned it the 1st time as i played it for 10mins and hated it. Didnt even get out of the sewer! I bought it again after i was told of the error of my ways, then 90hours later :D

So fallout 3 was a no brainer for me, Oblivion + Guns + Mutants you say? Awesome :cool:

Soldato
Definitely pre-ordering this! Fallout 3 is my favourite game :)

Just hope it doesn't have the issues (mainly on the PS3) F3 has like the lag you get when you are quite far into the game and some of the npc glitches.

Associate
I'm really looking forward to this but the fact the same guys that made Alpha Protocol are working on it has got me a little bit worried.

Soldato
I'm looking forward to Vegas but can't help getting a feeling that this is just a large expansion pack with more of the same.

Probably is, and I don't mind. There is not that much to change other than the glitches, lag and just generally improving some of the gameplay.

Soldato
OP
Slight preview type thing on gametrailers here skip to chapter 3 for those interested. Looks identical to Fallout 3 which is kind of a shame, but its all about the story and gameplay for me :)

Sorry there isnt more videos, Bethesda arent exactly famed for their pre release footage...

Back
Top Bottom