**Official Gigabyte Z87X-OC Discussion Thread**

Caporegime
Soldato
Ah, thanks. I'll put that in tomorrow. At the moment I'm running on the other cable in the 4pin socket and I'm posting via the board now (Linux Mint nicely doesn't care if the mobo changes) - but I expect it's not ideal.

Soldato
I haven't tried yet. I plugged it in, switched on, flashed the BIOS, stuck it to 4GHz on auto voltage (1.17v I think), booted and posted the question :)

Soldato
F5 official. Once I've got everything set up (the board's literally just lying inside the case unscrewed with an SSD hanging off the side) I'll look into overclocking it properly. I'm on air so I won't be getting any amazing clocks.

I was going to get the D3H, but this seems the best board <£200.

Caporegime
F5 official. Once I've got everything set up (the board's literally just lying inside the case unscrewed with an SSD hanging off the side) I'll look into overclocking it properly. I'm on air so I won't be getting any amazing clocks.

I was going to get the D3H, but this seems the best board <£200.

Im on air too (but with a bigger cooler i think) i can get 4.9GHz stable and even boot into windows at 5GHz, the board is strong, but also having a half decent chip helps too.

Soldato
Im on air too (but with a bigger cooler i think) i can get 4.9GHz stable and even boot into windows at 5GHz, the board is strong, but also having a half decent chip helps too.

I had this chip at first on another board (Maximus Gene), but it was faulty - so I switched to this one. I didn't have time to test much, but I think I managed 4.6GHz at a reasonable voltage. If I can get to 4.7GHz on this I'll be happy enough.

Edit: I've plugged the other cable into the PSU and into the board - works fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you should have the board by now?

What are you thoughts of it?

Only just got around to installing it.
What is there to say really, BIOS is a bit **** but other than that it's a motherboard. It's the only Haswell board I've had/used so no frame of reference.

What's the best way to start OCing a 4670K on this board?

At the minute I'm running it at stock speeds with Auto voltage. Running Prime95 it boosts to 3.8GHz and the VCore sits at 1.308v. Temperatures hit about 80ºC.

At a guess I'd say that for about the 93rd time in a row I've got a poor chip. What's the best place to start? Should I stay on stock speeds and drop VCore (using an offset, however you do that on this board) then when I've found the limit start increasing the multi until temps or VCore get too high?
What is considered high VCore for Haswell?
What's Uncore all about?

Soldato
Try using set voltages instead of auto. 1.3v for 3.8GHz is very high. Set the voltage to 1.25 and see if 3.8GHz is stable.

A lot of sites have said 1.25v for air, 1.35v for water, but it'll depend really on temps. My cooler seems to cope fine with 1.3v.

Associate
Only just got around to installing it.
What is there to say really, BIOS is a bit **** but other than that it's a motherboard. It's the only Haswell board I've had/used so no frame of reference.

What's the best way to start OCing a 4670K on this board?

At the minute I'm running it at stock speeds with Auto voltage. Running Prime95 it boosts to 3.8GHz and the VCore sits at 1.308v. Temperatures hit about 80ºC.

At a guess I'd say that for about the 93rd time in a row I've got a poor chip. What's the best place to start? Should I stay on stock speeds and drop VCore (using an offset, however you do that on this board) then when I've found the limit start increasing the multi until temps or VCore get too high?
What is considered high VCore for Haswell?
What's Uncore all about?

watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnHbLqlwG18

Turbo = 4.2ghz OC apparently.

Soldato
There is an overclocking guide in the opening post which uses a GBT board also, so makes easier copying to your own settings.
Thanks. Didn't understand a lot of that but there were some helpful bits i nthere (like not needing to use offset voltages to get the VCore to drop when idling.

Try using set voltages instead of auto. 1.3v for 3.8GHz is very high. Set the voltage to 1.25 and see if 3.8GHz is stable.

A lot of sites have said 1.25v for air, 1.35v for water, but it'll depend really on temps. My cooler seems to cope fine with 1.3v.

Had a play.
4.5GHz @ 1.25v screen was going black even in BIOS after a few seconds.
4.2GHz @ 1.25v BSOD when loading Windows
4.1GHz @ 1.25v Errors in Prime95 within a few minutes
4.0GHz @ 1.25v Hung during Prime95
4.0GHz @ 1.26v Completed the first 25/26 Small FFTs tests in a little over 10 minutes without issue.

Basically all I did was set the multi, set the VCore and disabled Turbo. Is that right? Should I be disabling Turbo or should I be OCing using the Turbos?

Caporegime
Add some LLC in the advanced settings section, turbo or extreme will help the vdroop and infact add voltage a bit over what you set the actual vcore to.

Also dont be scared to push the vcore up higher to make it stable.

Soldato
I saw an LLC but it wasn't CPU related, but that link did seem to suggest there's something else in there now with Haswell (VRM related?), wasn't sure if I should be touching that. So many settings...

The main issue with adding VCore is my temps already hit 85ºC during my 10 minutes Prime run. Admittedly I'm using a refurbed H60, but I thought temps around this voltage were an issue with Haswell and the IHS fiasco.

Back
Top Bottom