Official Home Gym Building Thread

Man of Honour
Where are you putting your GAINZ mirror? :p

Haha, I can always wander to the patio doors - not that I would do such a thing :p

Have now ordered enough gym flooring from Origin fitness to cover the whole floor and another two heavier duty ground anchors.

Could do with another 2x25kg plates, but I’ll wait until the Origin rubber plates are back in stock.

After my gym membership freeze ends I suspect I’ll cancel. It’s so great not having to wait for equipment, especially bench/squat racks and I can take my time too.

In the process of rewriting my gym routine centred around the barbell. I never realised you could do so much with a land mine.

Man of Honour
I’ve added a few more anchors to the gym gazebo. Flooring arrives tomorrow.

Origin has more plates in stock, including the rubber. I could use a couple more 25kg plates to stabilise the squat rack, mainly in case I need to use the safety bars. Will probably wait until I have more money though.

Man of Honour
25th July gyms reopen. Numbers will be limited. It’s going to be chaos at peak time with queues.

Thank goodness I can avoid the chaos!

Flooring is down :)

Edit: A bit of condensation in there this evening. Mainly due to me taking water in on my feet when laying the flooring, but I’ll probably setup a dehumidifier in there in the winter.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Lighting and flooring now in place. Slightly thicker pads at the front for deadlifts. You’ll have to excuse the mess, I’ve left the plates everywhere after oiling the bar and collars.

I have the dehumidifier ready to go in there when the weather deteriorates with a pipe that will take the moisture out.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So glad I made the move to home gym, here are the updated rules from a big local gym. Essentially you have to pre-book a slot and after that slot is finished everyone in the gym is out while its cleaned, so no chance you can squeeze more than 1 hour out.

Everyone has to wipe down their equipment, and there's less of it so that could mean waiting for equipment with what little time you have.

At least there will be no queues.

nwVxaOz.jpg

Man of Honour
I have a really good routine going now and its amazing what can be done with a landmine (I've scoured the internet to find almost every exercise I can for it) - Anabolic Aliens had some of the best. Today was shoulder day and I did my usual OHP using the rack for 8x3, then barbell front raises 5x5 and then landmine lateral raises, face pulls and rear flys each for 5x5. Probably the best shoulder pump I've had for sometime. I'm also throwing in some landmine oblique twists which hammers the core.

Yesterday after my squat session I threw in 5 sets of 10 calf raises and 5x5 front squats (great to be able to front squat again).

I've always been a big fan of T bar rows, but the weight was getting a bit much for the landmine I use. So I've switched to one arm rows with the bar behind me - it means I can get a much better range of movement and I'm really feeling those gainz. Its a new favourite I think.

I'm not far off pre-lockdown strength, but if anything this period has made me more defined, less worried about overall lifting weight and looking much better now that I am entirely using free weights, even for assistance work.

My Nuffield membership is now frozen until January, so we'll see what the winter brings.

Soldato
Face pulls with the landmine? I wouldn't have thought of that

I'm itching to get my stuff sorted but still got a little way to go... Celotex panels being delivered on Friday to insulate and finish sealing up the big door on my garage, as well as my big plastic bench/storage box for the patio so I can move a bunch of the garden tools and mower out there to free up more space. Then I'll be about ready to start brushing down the walls and painting the inside (lots of crappy dabs of mortar all over from the crap builders who built it) - Wickes seem to do a massive pot of trade emulsion for £5, some of the reviews say its a bit watery but that will probably be perfect for going onto the brickwork...

Slowly slowly... My routine has taken a bit of a dive as I haven't quite got the right equipment yet, nor enough weight to do it properly, but I'm managing to just about maintain things with bodyweight exercises and what little equipment I do have. Loosely hoping that the bigger fitness stores will get stock back in in time for Black Friday and that's when I'm hoping to score most of the equipment I need in one big order... that should give me plenty of time to finish prepping the garage... but we'll see

Soldato
I have a really good routine going now and its amazing what can be done with a landmine (I've scoured the internet to find almost every exercise I can for it) - Anabolic Aliens had some of the best. Today was shoulder day and I did my usual OHP using the rack for 8x3, then barbell front raises 5x5 and then landmine lateral raises, face pulls and rear flys each for 5x5. Probably the best shoulder pump I've had for sometime. I'm also throwing in some landmine oblique twists which hammers the core.

Yesterday after my squat session I threw in 5 sets of 10 calf raises and 5x5 front squats (great to be able to front squat again).

I've always been a big fan of T bar rows, but the weight was getting a bit much for the landmine I use. So I've switched to one arm rows with the bar behind me - it means I can get a much better range of movement and I'm really feeling those gainz. Its a new favourite I think.

I'm not far off pre-lockdown strength, but if anything this period has made me more defined, less worried about overall lifting weight and looking much better now that I am entirely using free weights, even for assistance work.

My Nuffield membership is now frozen until January, so we'll see what the winter brings.

Interesting read that, thanks.
Never heard of a landmine before (not for exercise purposes anyway) so I've been doing some reading up. This may be my next progression. I've been doing body weight exercises since early April, made myself a pull up bar in the garage and immediately found I could only manage 3 chin ups :D. I've stuck at it though, chin ups are now at 9, 8, 8, 8, along with dips, crunches, pull ups and pistol squats. Ditched the pull up bar for a set of gymnast rings a couple of weeks ago and I was looking to start adding weight when I reach 4 sets of 10 chin ups. I think I'll be going the landmine route now.

Soldato
I know it's been mentioned before but what was the pre lockdown average price per kilo on Olympic weights? Looking to grab a few bits again but can't remember what normal prices are :D

Same with olympic and hex deadlift bars...how much were they normally?

Caporegime
OP
^ when i ordered some new plates (2 years ago) it was roughly £2 per KG but i have no idea what prices were pre Covid but i doubt they would have been much different from when i last purchased some

£2 is very cheap I don't think that is normal.

I mean they sell for £1.50 per kg second hand.

Brand new should be at least £3 per kg. Higher for bumper or higher quality plates with handles.

Bars were £80 for quality ones to £120 for the best.

Soldato
@dragonslayer @Psycho Sonny thanks for the replies.

Looking at 2nd hand market in my immediate area +100 miles (FB marketplace, Gumtree, eBay), folks are asking between £3 - £5 kilo for second hand equipment collected.

Should never have sold my equipment a few years ago after our baby was born. Looking at my ebay message history, I sold an olympic bar, £145KG tri grip olympic weights, bench, cf375 rack with lat pulldown and ez bar for £675. :(

Caporegime
OP
@dragonslayer @Psycho Sonny thanks for the replies.

Looking at 2nd hand market in my immediate area +100 miles (FB marketplace, Gumtree, eBay), folks are asking between £3 - £5 kilo for second hand equipment collected.

Should never have sold my equipment a few years ago after our baby was born. Looking at my ebay message history, I sold an olympic bar, £145KG tri grip olympic weights, bench, cf375 rack with lat pulldown and ez bar for £675. :(

Oh yeah lockdown prices are hugely inflated.

Normal second hand pricing for weights is £1.50 per kg.

I sold a powertec power rack plus all attachments worth £1500 plus a gym ratz bench and a bar for like £150. That was £2k worth of equipment new.

So I'd say prices for stuff second hand pre covid were really bad in this country. Unless you lived in London or where there will be huge demand with people earning more than the average.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I wouldn't worry about it you win some and you lose some.

I made a fortune selling my dumbells during lockdown more than I would have gotten for everything pre covid so I'm all good now.

I wish I had kept my rack and bench until now to sell but I'm not overly stressed about it.

Prices right now second hand are multiples of the norm.

Man of Honour
Added an outdoor cable to the gym today and a pipe going outside that can be hooked up to the dehumidifier when needed. I’ll add a security camera tomorrow and then when the time comes a smart plug and small heater.

Edit: security camera added. Next plan is to insulate the dehumidifier pipe. Later in the year I’ll buy two smart plugs that I can use to control the dehumidifier and heater. I’m also trying to find a WiFi thermometer/humidity monitoring device.

Edit 2: one smart plug added to control the dehumidifier. Pipe taking water out. So far working well, even in these downpours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom