Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
Got the stable mats down and moved everything around in the garage/gym today. It's a lot better set up and those mats are awesome. Not fussed about dropping things or dragging them round now.

Will have to get a photo taken when I have it exactly how I like it. Need to sell some stuff and make some space...

Associate
The immediate availability of this is tempting me - https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-solid-pro-lat-machine-plate-loading-1.html
It would match my rack too.
The ATX one certainly looks better. I don't see any functional benefits over the Body-Solid unit. They seem functionally identical.
The ATX pulldown is taller, heavier, and no doubt smoother. It also has an 180KG weight capacity on the pulldown, vs 136kg.

Depends if these difference are worth it to you....

Last edited:
Associate
PXL-20210727-224802273.jpg

In hindsight I should have gone for a full rack and not the half foldable as it's a faff to fold away and since installation I've never needed to put away. Waiting for my shelf unit to come this week so I can tidy up the weights off the floor

Soldato

Everything arrived over Weds/Thurs and i got built today!

Took up more floor space than i realised but the garage just needs an organise now and i need a trip to the tip with all the empty boxes!

Soldato
Some really good looking setups here!

I missed the boat on the ATX lat pulldown preorder. I only realise how much I want something when the decision is taken from me. There is another unit, a primal fitness one - here - but it's too tall for my gym...

So back to the body-solid idea. Squidward won't be impressed with my hesitation but their unit is as cheap as £371 delivered if ordered direct from their site with their discount code.

At least it will match my rack :rolleyes:

Soldato
which ones did you go for?

Someone local was selling them on FB marketplace. I think they're 18mm thick and each mat is about the size of a standard plywood sheet (2.4m x 1.2m very rough estimate). They have longitudinal channels on the underside and very slight raised circles in a pattern on the top. They are really good - while they look worn they look like they will last decades. I was also pleasantly surprised with how easy they were to cut with a stanley knife to notch around a column at the wall. My only regret is that I bought 4 instead of the ideal 6.

So if you have a home gym in a standard sized single garage, I'd go for 6. Even with a workbench and shelving unit in there.

Soldato
Finally got my hands on the leg pad for my bench to allow decline pressing/sit ups.

ySHchFc.jpg

That is a really nice looking bench. Since we have most of what we need, we're now looking to replace the cheaper tat we started with - ie the Men's Health bench. Where is yours from?

Associate
Snip
In hindsight I should have gone for a full rack and not the half foldable as it's a faff to fold away and since installation I've never needed to put away. Waiting for my shelf unit to come this week so I can tidy up the weights off the floor
Nice setup, flooring is clean.
Some really good looking setups here!

I missed the boat on the ATX lat pulldown preorder. I only realise how much I want something when the decision is taken from me. There is another unit, a primal fitness one - here - but it's too tall for my gym...

So back to the body-solid idea. Squidward won't be impressed with my hesitation but their unit is as cheap as £371 delivered if ordered direct from their site with their discount code.

At least it will match my rack :rolleyes:
If you are happy with the body solid solution then get that :).
Finally got my hands on the leg pad for my bench to allow decline pressing/sit ups.
Make sure to regularly check your screws and bolts on this bench. I literally had bolts falling out of mine on the silver plates on the side from regular usage. Bulldog gear stated this was normal.
Thanks! First impression is that the price is a steep jump from the lower end stuff. How do you rate the quality? Commercial gym grade?
Looks great.
I also have this bench. It is very heavy duty and defo feels commercial grade. I am pretty sure it is from China (it's actually a rep of the Rep Fitness AP5000), Again faster (linked below) sell the exact same bench. Also see my above note, can't say I am impressed with bulldogs customer care. Its a very heavy bench, feels solid when using. Aside from bolts and screws falling out my only complaint is the adjustment for the front seat slider (horizontal not tilt) is screw fit where the rest of the bench is push pin.

Edit: Again faster bench cheaper than bulldog
https://againfaster.eu/en_gb/streng...ompetition-elite-adjustable-weight-bench.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom