*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Can't seeing it being much better than the supplied one for 1Gbps connections.

I have the Netgear R8000 X6 unit - the performance on wifi is like this. For comparison, when cabled to the router I get this.

If you do buy another router remember you don't have to plug it in the HyperOptic router and daisy chain them - if your install is like mine the termination is just Gb Ethernet so you can plug straight in to the wall socket.

Associate
Can't seeing it being much better than the supplied one for 1Gbps connections.

I have the Netgear R8000 X6 unit - the performance on wifi is like this. For comparison, when cabled to the router I get this.

If you do buy another router remember you don't have to plug it in the HyperOptic router and daisy chain them - if your install is like mine the termination is just Gb Ethernet so you can plug straight in to the wall socket.

Thanks for that, will try Ethernet tonight. Spoke to them today and was told they may get new routers by end if the year. Some members on hukd saying supplied router is pants for wireless, 54mb max.

Associate
I've just got my Hyperoptic 1GB connection in Bristol - I paired it with an ASUS AC88u and an ASUS AC3100 network adapter (AC card on my Macbook Pro already) and getting solid 619mbp down and 678mbps up on wifi! (901mbs Cabled) I thought that if i'm going to get GB connection it was worth investing in the wifi hardware. I do have one question that I can't seem to find the answer to 802.1q enabled or disabled with Hyperoptic and if enabled what is the VLAN value?

Great to join your Gigabit party! I'm from Australia and struggled to get 10mbs back home.
kUNF6G

Speed tests run on speedtest.hyperoptic.com results here

Associate
As in next month? Can't you sign up and ask them to activate at a set date perhaps?
Should have been more clear - I'm already with Hyperoptic, so they didn't want to do anything for me since I'm already in contract with them.

I've just got my Hyperoptic 1GB connection in Bristol - I paired it with an ASUS AC88u and an ASUS AC3100 network adapter (AC card on my Macbook Pro already) and getting solid 619mbp down and 678mbps up on wifi! (901mbs Cabled) I thought that if i'm going to get GB connection it was worth investing in the wifi hardware. I do have one question that I can't seem to find the answer to 802.1q enabled or disabled with Hyperoptic and if enabled what is the VLAN value?

Great to join your Gigabit party! I'm from Australia and struggled to get 10mbs back home.
kUNF6G

Speed tests run on speedtest.hyperoptic.com results here

Sounds awesome! I don't think there's any QOS on their network, they just run it as uncongested as possible. Certainly, I've in fact turned QOS off on everything, it all seems to 'just work'. If and when something starts to struggle I'll investigate it, but until such time as then, no point worrying :)

Associate
Hi guys,

Anyone on Hyperoptic having trouble with their home network? I have a nas drive connected to the hyperoptic router via an ethernet cable but on media players on fire tv etc the workgroup isn't showing. Plug the nas drive into my old router connected to plusnet and it shows fine.

Do hyperoptic have settings I need to change or anything?

Cheers

Associate
hello guys,
This is my first post and really sorry for my English I know is no great.
I have two questions
It's possible to setup BT Hub 5 for Hyperoptic and if yes can someone tell me step by step how to do this. I spent the last two days trying to setup Bt Hub and just gave up

Thanks in advance

TJM

TJM

Associate
I began drumming up support among my neighbours in March and it's going live in several weeks, so it's definitely doable, but I think Hyperoptic are more interested in the number of flats, the age of the block (newer blocks are very simple to wire up) and your proximity to a main road and/or other Hyperoptic buildings (the fibre route is less likely to have any blockages). I helped organise the building survey and obtain permission from the block management for the installation before signing anyone else up so Hyperoptic don't have to wait to hit X number of registrations before taking any action.

Email the sales team with the details. They will provide flyers and the like if you ask and they think your building is potentially worthwhile.

Associate
Just had 1Gbps hyperoptic fitted and had to call up about getting a Static IP which they have done. Problem is i cant get it working whatsoever. They have given me the Ip details, but im using myown Asus RT-N66U router.. Ive entered all the details correctly. Set Wan as Static IP with the following:

IPv4 address, Gateway IP, Subnet Mask, DNS servers. Problem is i have to connection whatseoever even after rebooting the router, however in the web interface i have CONNECTED showing. Is there any further details i should be entering? Ive even entered the hyperoptic router MAC address and tried cloning it but still no connection.

Can anyone please help as hyperoptic would provide any technical support when your using a 3rd party router!

Screenshot_61.png

Soldato
I don't know about Hyperoptic, but usually with a single static WAN IP you leave the router configured the same as you would for a dynamic WAN IP. The ISP then makes sure you're issued the same IP each time you connect.

What happens if you change the connection type to Automatic IP (or whatever they call it)?

Edit: There's a fair chance a RT-N66U won't fully handle a Gigabit connection.

Associate
That was my initial thought that I shouldn't have to do anything just leave the connection as it was on automatic IP.. it was setup this way prior to asking for a static IP from them.. as you just plug a ethernet cable into their socket, this should just work this way as the static IP should have been assigned my hyperopic.. I've tried going back to auto IP and everything is connected. But soon as I try something like my Plex server, I get outside network not reachable.. even tried setting manual ports for it. Still the same result. I'm aware my n66u router won't handle a full 1gbps connection and will upgrade soon, but either way I should be able to use the static IP seeing as I'm paying for it

Associate
It appears to be the same IP address I had before they changed to static IP.. I only had it installed 3 days ago and the IP address doesn't appear to have changed so I was presuming they had assigned that one to me

Soldato
They must be able to tell you what your static IP is supposed to be.

If you're getting the correct IP assigned with Automatic IP enabled I'd be looking elsewhere for the cause of your Plex issues.

Back
Top Bottom