*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
I would prefer a router/modem, something like the Netgear Nighthawks. Anything you have in mind?

Do you mean modem/router? The Hyperoptic service is presented as ethernet so you can plug straight into something like Google Wi-Fi, no need for anything else. You can connect the second port on the Google box to a switch if you need wired ports.

Soldato
Do you mean modem/router? The Hyperoptic service is presented as ethernet so you can plug straight into something like Google Wi-Fi, no need for anything else. You can connect the second port on the Google box to a switch if you need wired ports.

I do know that the engineer will be terminating a Cat 5e/6 cable into an RJ45 outlet in my apartment :) - I'm just concerned about the strength of the signal and speed for wireless devices spread across the apartment. I can always use an unmanaged switch if I'm short of ports near or at my PC desk (where most of the wired devices will be).

In all honesty I completely forgot to check if any of the rooms have structured cabling pre-installed as it's only 3 years old - this would make life much easier!

Caporegime
Honestly I would see how you get on with the bundled router first. It's not as bad as people make out - covering a two bed apartment with stud walls with Wi-Fi is not a difficult task and it doesn't need a bunch of APs. Yes the Wi-Fi is going to limit a 1Gbps service, but so is any wireless router.

Rather than buying a new router you might be better served with getting a cable run from the router location to where your PC desk is going to live.

I'm sat in the living room of a flat at the moment on a MacBook Pro and getting 350Mbps on Speedtest.net through two walls, one of which is covered in kitchen units.

TJM

TJM

Associate
nO. You’d have more luck with getting your community organised to pay Openreach to do it.

On the routers, I use an R7800 with the 1Gbps service and it can manage about 950Mbps and never goes down. I wasn’t sold on the 1Gbps service until I upgraded to it on a special offer and seeing an Nvidia driver download in five seconds is neat. Obviously very far from essential though.

Associate
Hi all

I've just had 1gb Hyperoptic installed and I'm having issues with the WiFi speeds (my 4g is currently miles faster). I live in a flat with a lot of heavy doors and thick walls to get to where I generally use the signal. Plus the network box that house the router is next to a fully tiled bathroom which I know can cause huge issues with signal.

I know there are issues with the Hyperoptic Router however I'm concerned that buying an expensive router wouldn't solve the problem due to the layout of the flat. Has anyone experienced something similar? I was wondering if buying a Powerline kit like this would help solve the issue more effectively? (TP-Link TL-PA9020PKIT 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FFBN4MO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_asjSBbHYG45RX)

TJM

TJM

Associate
Hi all

I've just had 1gb Hyperoptic installed and I'm having issues with the WiFi speeds (my 4g is currently miles faster). I live in a flat with a lot of heavy doors and thick walls to get to where I generally use the signal. Plus the network box that house the router is next to a fully tiled bathroom which I know can cause huge issues with signal.

I know there are issues with the Hyperoptic Router however I'm concerned that buying an expensive router wouldn't solve the problem due to the layout of the flat. Has anyone experienced something similar? I was wondering if buying a Powerline kit like this would help solve the issue more effectively? (TP-Link TL-PA9020PKIT 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FFBN4MO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_asjSBbHYG45RX)
It would help but it won't get anywhere near 1Gbps. Powerline kits just aren't that good.

Have you thought about running an ethernet cable from the Hyperoptic port to a better position for the router? This doesn't have to be an ugly cable that goes around door frames - the layout of my flat allowed a freelancer to go through the utility cupboard wall and underneath the kitchen units to reach the living area.

Associate
It would help but it won't get anywhere near 1Gbps. Powerline kits just aren't that good.

Have you thought about running an ethernet cable from the Hyperoptic port to a better position for the router? This doesn't have to be an ugly cable that goes around door frames - the layout of my flat allowed a freelancer to go through the utility cupboard wall and underneath the kitchen units to reach the living area.

Unfortunately that's not an options as its a rented place.

On 5ghz I'm hitting around 400mbs right next to the router. This is dropping to around 150/200mbs in areas that I use it most (approx 5 meters away from the router, although through walls). I know I won't get 1gbps over WiFi but I was hoping the Powerline might take it up to the same as it is by the router?

This sounds fast, but I was hitting around 300mbs with BT previously. Also, it doesn't actually seem as fast as it is stating - e.g. videos are buffering for ages, pictures aren't loading on websites which wasn't happening previously with BT.

TV, PS4, Xbox One and PC are all plugged in to ethernet and are hitting around 700-900mbs. Seem to be running fine but again, slower than they were with BT even though the speeds are 500+ faster on the tests.

My flat has an inbuilt network cabinet with an 24 port ethernet switch that links to ports around the flat. Could this be used in some way to boost the WiFi?

The router is Tilgin 2381

TJM

TJM

Associate

On 5ghz I'm hitting around 400mbs right next to the router. This is dropping to around 150/200mbs in areas that I use it most (approx 5 meters away from the router, although through walls). I know I won't get 1gbps over WiFi but I was hoping the Powerline might take it up to the same as it is by the router?
The results from Powerline kits are unpredictable but it's certianly worth a try since it's close and sounds like you'll only be relying on it for mobile devices. An alternative is to install an access point (essentially a second router that feeds into the first) but that might be overkill with the PC, etc., already connected via ethernet.

This sounds fast, but I was hitting around 300mbs with BT previously.
Hyperoptic and G.Fast in the same spot - nice to have options.

It sounds like something is choking the connection as Hyperoptic should be snappy. A high-end router would be better for a 1Gbps connection with a lot of devices attached but I'd rule out the internal switch/cabling causing the lag first by running a long ethernet cable from one of the affected devices to the router and seeing if things improve.

Caporegime
Are you on a CGNAT service? My Hyperoptic felt a bit underwhelming until I opted for the £5/month static IP option to get a 'real' IP address.

Post some photos of the network setup in your flat and people can advise - it sounds like you have structured cabling already installed so patching the Hyperoptic service through should be easy.

Associate

This sounds fast, but I was hitting around 300mbs with BT previously. Also, it doesn't actually seem as fast as it is stating - e.g. videos are buffering for ages, pictures aren't loading on websites which wasn't happening previously with BT.

TV, PS4, Xbox One and PC are all plugged in to ethernet and are hitting around 700-900mbs. Seem to be running fine but again, slower than they were with BT even though the speeds are 500+ faster on the tests.

My flat has an inbuilt network cabinet with an 24 port ethernet switch that links to ports around the flat. Could this be used in some way to boost the WiFi?

The router is Tilgin 2381

I'd suggest getting that 24 port switch and the structured cabling in to action. If you can cable up as much as you can, that's a great help - have as few devices as possible on the wifi.

After that, as per the rest of this thread, consider looking at getting some separate wifi access points. The Unifi range is pretty well regarded.

Associate
Are you on a CGNAT service? My Hyperoptic felt a bit underwhelming until I opted for the £5/month static IP option to get a 'real' IP address.

I wasn't aware this was a thing, is this just something that Hyperoptic do? My knowledge around IPs are pretty sparse, why does this make a difference to the performance?

Post some photos of the network setup in your flat and people can advise - it sounds like you have structured cabling already installed so patching the Hyperoptic service through should be easy.

I will put up some photos when I get home at the weekend.

I'd suggest getting that 24 port switch and the structured cabling in to action. If you can cable up as much as you can, that's a great help - have as few devices as possible on the wifi.

After that, as per the rest of this thread, consider looking at getting some separate wifi access points. The Unifi range is pretty well regarded.

Yeah, everything that can be plugged in is, just a pain worth the WiFi for my mobile devices because the flats have poor 4g signal as well and I rely on WiFi at home on those devices. Thanks, I will look into the Unifi range. How does this differ from something like the Powerline above?

Caporegime
Hyperoptic rely on Openreach to drop off an EAD circuit at a block that will contain upwards of 30 properties, this costs them about £1600 per year. Even if only 10 people take up the service, this element of the connection costs them ~13 per month - a couple of pounds more than the cost of providing an FTTC service. Once the thing is back at the exchange then the costs are the same as any other ISP - they can use highly competitive backhaul options to get the service back to their own network the same way any other provider does.

The only difference that Hyperoptic have is the initial investment required in each building, but a switch or two and some Cat5e cable is not that expensive. Those economies go out the window if you wanted to move to a model where each customer requires their own fibre drop - so it is anything but 'shocking' that they don't offer it in situations where they'd lose a lot of money by doing so.

If you wanted to pre-cable (most likely with fibre due to the drop in subscriber density) a bunch of houses and then provide a central location for Hyperoptic to install their equipment I would assume they'd take you up on that offer.

Soldato
My 150MB connection went live on Monday and I have say I'm impressed. The installation was quick, neat and took only a few minutes to authenticate after patching in. The remote cabinet is only around 20m away from my apartment so the cable route is short with minimal bends or turns. I haven't tested wireless properly but wired is averaging around 165-168 down and 164-167 up, which is fantastic considering I'm paying for 150.

Caporegime
It might not be relevant to your usage, but the only negative I can see is that without paying £5/month for a static IP service, you get a CGNATed IPv4 address. However, you do get IPv6 and lots of things work natively on IPv6 now so it might not be a problem. Usually Xbox Live/PSN and trying to host your own services tend to be the things that don't work properly when CGNAT is involved.

Associate
https://hyperoptic.com/landing/offer-broadband-only/
New 15% discount for new customers, 12 month contract, Black Friday sale expires 3rd December:
30Mb £15
150Mb £22
1Gb £40
or +£1 for a phone line as well.

At end of the 12 month contract you can renew your contact to get the regular discount instead of paying full amount ie £48 instead of £60.

My speedtest.net result right now:

5d764541-061e-4664-b0eb-e51e4a3b499e.png

Back
Top Bottom