1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by ntg, Nov 1, 2013.

1. BongoHunter

Wise Guy

If you can't get one - might be worth looking at a dynamic DNS provider, I use one with my non static IP ADSL line and seems to work ok.

2. ~cw

Associate

It's a lot easier now Openreach are more willing to share their ducts with other commercial businesses.

Correct, Hyperoptic run their own fibre from colo equipment, typically in the nearby exchanges, that goes into a switch which provides copper access ports which are trunked to individual properties. For small blocks like mine they just install one switch but I imagine they'll do switch stacks or spread their smaller switches across floors in high rises where utility cupboards and risers are available. That can cause delays, where they come to install and don't have access to risers because building management aren't organised.

I believe they may use backhaul from BT or whoever in certain circumstances, but it's obviously preferable for them to run their own fibre to their own infrastructure.

I have some pictures of my block's little setup, I'll post them. I was delighted to see they're using Huawei switches. ;)

Yeah, already use afraid.org for DDNS - ended up paying out for a static as CGNAT does not play nicely with me. Frustratingly they assign a /29 but you're only able to use one IP. Quite annoyed about that.

Also, heads up if you want to monitor your line by pinging the Hyper Hub (a Tilgin router) with a service like TBB's BQM: they've restricted the setting to enable/disable ICMP response on WAN to a 'root' account - which they will not disclose to you. I politely begged they turn it on on my router, which customer support did. However it seems they have no plans to unrestrict all the options for the normal admin account. Perhaps use your own router.

3. MG42Maniac

Wise Guy

Interesting, our development is mainly detached properties so will be curious why they have expressed interest in going live in our area as it's not the typical demographic of flats.

4. BongoHunter

Wise Guy

If it's a completely new development then the council might not have adopted the roads yet, especially if the roads and pavements haven't been paved yet. This makes things much easier for anyone wanting to lay cable

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  5. mrkev

Gangster

DNS would probably be of little use if you have a CGNAT address. Also things like port forwards and UPnP won't work . You will need a real IP address (static) .

6. Anthony Accioly

Associate

Hey guys,

I got the 1 Gbps package installed today. Peek speeds of around 770 Mbps. With an ASUS AC68U I'm getting WiFi speeds of over 500 Mbps (while it can't saturate the link, the speeds are better than I expected).

A quick doubt: Did anyone manage to get IPv6 working? And if you did, can you enable port forwarding over the IPv6 address without acquiring a static IPv4?

While my laptop was assigned a LAN IPv6 address, I don't think that I have a WAN IPv6 address.
    With the original router it says that ipv6-over-eth is disabled, but I can't find any setting to enable it.

Do I need to call hyperoptic to get an IPv6?

7. mrkev

Gangster

You don't need to port forward with IPv6 as you should get you own unique prefix to play with. What's the first four digits of your LAN IPv6 address?

8. TJM

Wise Guy

Plug in your Hyperoptic router and see (through the admin panel) if it can obtain an IPv6 address. If it does, you will need to configure your own router to work with it - auto-detect worked on my Netgear. If it doesn't, your building's equipment isn't using IPv6 yet.

9. Anthony Accioly

Associate

Sorry for the delay, my connection is in a different flat and I wanted to test it before getting back to you.
    I see the following two prefixes

IPv6 fd7a
    Link-Local IPv6 fe80
    I'm quite confused about Hyperoptic's admin interface. I have plugged my original Tilgin AB router and it looks like it wasn't able to obtain a IPv6 (picture bellow):
    [​IMG]

https://test-ipv6.com/ also reports that no IPv6 was detected

However, I have previously opened a ticket with Hyperoptic and customer support told me that IPv6 should be available for my building / region.
    Is the picture above definitive prove that my building equipment isn't ready for IPv6 yet, or is there something that I can do to enable ipv6-over-eth?

Kind regards,

10. Caged

Capodecina

What happens if you shove a cable from your laptop straight into the Hyperoptic socket?

The way that status page says disabled suggests it's been turned off in the router, rather than just a case of not getting an address allocated.

11. Anthony Accioly

Associate

Humm, same thing. Now both my IPs start with fe80 and ipv6 test is still failing

12. mrkev

Gangster

It doesn't look like IPv6 has been configured for you. You should at least see something with a PC plugged in. A valid global address should start with a 2 or 3.

13. Anthony Accioly

Associate

Yeah :(. I'm logging another ticket.
    As far as I understand, if IPv6 is not available, my only way out of CGNAT is to pay £5 per month for a static IPv4 right?
    By the way, if I do pay for IPv4, is it ok if I self-host my on website, SMTP server, etc at home? (My previous ISP had rules against it)

14. Caged

Capodecina

Hyperoptic do IPv6 without a static IPv4, if they think your building has been enabled then take it up with support.

15. Anthony Accioly

Associate

Support has enabled IPv6 support. It is now working with the Tilgin router. I couldn't get it to work with the AC68U.

I'm sorry to nag you all, but I'm pretty new to IPv6 and Hyperoptic deployment.

Now that IPv6 is working I have a couple of follow up questions.

1. The only way that I could find to expose a few ports to the internet is by completely disabling the firewall using Tilgin's web admin. I couldn't find an option to configure firewall rules. Is such an option available?
    2. By my understanding, Hyperoptic provides my router with a /56 allocation. The router then do it's thing with SLAAC so that each client gets a global IPv6 address within that /56 block. Is that about right? My question is, can I configure the router to always assign the same IPv6 address to a client (e.g., bind a specific IPv6 to a MAC address)? I've tried the "reserve" checkbox in Tilgin's admin settings, but apparently it only affects LAN IPv4 address.

16. mrkev

Gangster

The Tilgin router looks pretty limited. I would try to get the ASUS to work first but i think you're going to have to reflash it with a custom firmware to do what you want it to do. FAQ on setting up IPv6 on the ASUS https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/113990

17. Anthony Accioly

Associate

Yes, can't do much with the default router unfortunatelly.
    I've spent a few hours trying to set my DSL-AC68U to work with Hyperoptic's IPv6 configuration.
    Initially I had Merlin, but, after exhausting all options I've flashed the latest and greatest ASUS stock firmware: 3.0.0.4.384_21128

I think that I've tried every possible combination of Connection Type (Native, Static IPv6, Passthrough, Tunnels), DHCP-PD, Auto-onfiguration and DNS settings to no avail.
    I've found a few articles over the Internet (e.g., Hyperoptic UK and IPv6 setup on ASUS RT-AC68U, How to configure IPv6 on ASUS RT-AC68U?), however, nothing seems to be working.

Can anyone recommend an alternative router known to work well with Hyperoptic?

My main requirements are:
    • As fast as possible
    • Able to configure simple firewall rules for IPv6 addresses (e.g., ALLOW Inbound TCP traffic from any source to 2a01:4b00:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx on port 8080)
    • Capable of DHCPv6 IP Reservation (or whatever is necessary to always assign the same IP to the same server)
    I don't mind buying a Negear R9000, R7800 / Linksys EA9500, TP-LINK AC3150 or whatever is necessary to make it work.

Any recommendations?

18. ~cw

Associate

I spoke to CS and apparently the Tilgin has some 'issues' regarding its v6 support. I noticed after I factory reset mine recently (wifi completely packed in) that I initially had my v6 address assigned, then some time later, ipv6 was disabled.

You'll probably just need to use your own router and set it up appropriately for IPv6. As has been discussed on reddit, try Native, dhcp-pd enabled, auto config set to Stateless (that's for an Asus, other routers should work similarly).

Email customer services if you want confirmation of your IPv6 assignment, they told me mine at the same time as my v4 static.

19. Anthony Accioly

Associate

Hi @~cw , thanks for you insights.

You are right. I got home to a router with IPv6 disabled again today. Hyperoptic's support later wrote me that they are disabling IPv6 on my router due to some required update. Apparently, I have no control over this. ETA to reenable IPv6: Up to 30 days.
    And I'm again blocked with no external reachability of any kind. Not a great start :(.

About my DSL-AC68U, unfortunately, it is not picking up IPv6 with the settings suggested in the mentioned reddit post; or pretty much any other reasonable combination that I could think of (see my post above). I don't really have a good explanation for it; maybe the fact that my router doubles as a modem (DSL prefix instead of RT prefix), or maybe something's up on Hyperoptic's side of things. It's a shame because otherwise AC68U is a great router able to reach 400 to 550 Mbps without any issues.

Anyway, I'm accepting suggestions for routers that work with Hyperoptic's broadband and IPv6.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  20. Dmitry

Associate

Question to HO users who got their ipv6 working - are you able to connect to your ipv6 device from Internet?

I have ipv6 working on devices directly connected to HO router (298N, can browse ipv6.google.com, test-ipv6.com is also fine), but unable to ping or access any port on that device from ipv6 Internet (firewall is open on device, wireshark is not showing any packets coming). HO CS said that they can't do anything due to security issues, but then I don't understand what is the point of having static ipv6. Does it mean with £5/month for static ipv4 they also can't open devices to Internet due to security issues? Could it be problem with HO router which is not giving enough settings so ipv6 is restricted on router level and third-party router will work?