*** Official Kodi (née XBMC) Thread ***

Associate
I did post up a thread about this but maybe i will get a better answer in here, Im after a "droidbox" i think. Want XBMC an the ability to watch live TV over the Ethernet. What box would be a good "first timers" (so many puns there) to buy? Budget £100 max but would prefer to try something a little cheaper unless the more expensive versions offer better features?

the Minix U1 seems to get good reviews but is a touch pricey. ?

Associate
I did post up a thread about this but maybe i will get a better answer in here, Im after a "droidbox" i think. Want XBMC an the ability to watch live TV over the Ethernet. What box would be a good "first timers" (so many puns there) to buy? Budget £100 max but would prefer to try something a little cheaper unless the more expensive versions offer better features?

the Minix U1 seems to get good reviews but is a touch pricey. ?

The thing is like the saying pay for what you get. Of course you can cheap boxes for next to nothing on flea bay. But then you always run a risk. Get one that has good online support. Updates out the box. Minix have a very good rep with there boxes and a very good forum

http://www.minixforum.com/

Droidbox is another good box with good online support and out the box updates. I f was to choose id opt for the U1 just cause it has the latest s905 chip and not the s812 plus it has HDMI 2.2 if you have a 4K TV. But if not either box will be fine even the minix neo x8-h plus is also good. i have a T8 V3 from droidsticks. If your wanting new the Neo U1 if not bothered any of the other boxes mentioned will be great im sure you wont be disapointed in what you opt for. Oh and the Droidbox has Dualboot if your wanting Openelec

Associate
The thing is like the saying pay for what you get. Of course you can cheap boxes for next to nothing on flea bay. But then you always run a risk. Get one that has good online support. Updates out the box. Minix have a very good rep with there boxes and a very good forum

http://www.minixforum.com/

Droidbox is another good box with good online support and out the box updates. I f was to choose id opt for the U1 just cause it has the latest s905 chip and not the s812 plus it has HDMI 2.2 if you have a 4K TV. But if not either box will be fine even the minix neo x8-h plus is also good. i have a T8 V3 from droidsticks. If your wanting new the Neo U1 if not bothered any of the other boxes mentioned will be great im sure you wont be disapointed in what you opt for. Oh and the Droidbox has Dualboot if your wanting Openelec

Thanks i think i will give the U1 a go. The only thing i dont like is the Giant antenna but i have Ethernet at that point so wont plug the antenna in.

I noticed fleabay has them £20 cheaper than the rainforest, Im guessing that their are copies about ? Have to say i trust the rainforest more lol

Associate
Just ordered a MiniX U1 will be here tomorrow. If it does what it says in the tin i will need 2 more :) Totally new to this type of product so looking forward to having a play and see what it can deliver

Associate
They suppose to be decent. Anything with good support is what is needed. Especially if your new to this kind of thing always helps knowing that support is there when needed and getting updates also. If i was to get another box id get something with the s905 chip. Even though the s812 will do the job and do it well for most people

Associate
Thanks i think i will give the U1 a go. The only thing i dont like is the Giant antenna but i have Ethernet at that point so wont plug the antenna in.

I noticed fleabay has them £20 cheaper than the rainforest, Im guessing that their are copies about ? Have to say i trust the rainforest more lol

Yep you do get copy's that's why you don't wanna be getting anything in regards off ebay. Some people do and there happy with. But you do get a fair few clones that don't last 5 minutes. Fair few good dealers out there that do retail the Minix neo. Minix Don't sell direct. Not like Droidsticks or Droidbox

Soldato
Anyone here own a MINIX box?

My X6 isn't working anymore, and gets stuck on the MINIX logo on startup. I've downloaded latest firmware on my PC but I can't get it to install onto the box. Keep getting the following error:

[0x30404004]UBOOT/Partition boot/Get download status/Error result

Associate
Anyone here own a MINIX box?

My X6 isn't working anymore, and gets stuck on the MINIX logo on startup. I've downloaded latest firmware on my PC but I can't get it to install onto the box. Keep getting the following error:

[0x30404004]UBOOT/Partition boot/Get download status/Error result

You tried the Minix forums. Is they no Factory reset on the device they might be a button on the device to reset back to factory settings

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x6.76/

Last edited:
Soldato
Folks, looking at 2 x boxes here and would appreciate opinions on them. First is a Beelink Mini-MXIII 2Gb S905, second is an M8S again with 2Gb and the S905 -both boxes running 5.1 Lollipop.

What one to buy? Ta.

Soldato
Folks, looking at 2 x boxes here and would appreciate opinions on them. First is a Beelink Mini-MXIII 2Gb S905, second is an M8S again with 2Gb and the S905 -both boxes running 5.1 Lollipop.

What one to buy? Ta.

i have the m8s. if i was gong to rebuy id opt for an amazon fire tv instead.

after installing kodi for the inlaws on their fire tv its a night and day difference between running the 2. less crashes, better remote, feels slicker.

Soldato
Cool, ta. Another question as I'm a complete n00b to all this - I've got Kodi installed on my PC and a lot of the stuff I've watched on it is pretty 'blocky' and not of a great sharpness. Is that just something needing tweaked a little or is it the same on a box connected to a TV?

Associate
Cool, ta. Another question as I'm a complete n00b to all this - I've got Kodi installed on my PC and a lot of the stuff I've watched on it is pretty 'blocky' and not of a great sharpness. Is that just something needing tweaked a little or is it the same on a box connected to a TV?

I'd say that it's likely to be the quality of the video tbh.

Back
Top Bottom