**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
Hi all, i have been watching video after video of MS Flight Simulator game play and decided to pull the trigger.

I am looking to buy a Yoke and Throttle to start me off.

Yoke I am looking at: Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls (when they come back in stock)
Throttle: Logitech G Saitek Pro throttle quadrant or TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

Any changes do you think i should make? Budget of around £350 maybe £400.

Soldato
Obviously you fly, but what do you actually do in this game and is the main attraction fun or relaxing?

If you're new to flying then do some tutorials, learn some basics of instrument flying, fly VOR's, how to fly a radial etc. If you know all that stuff then fly to interesting places, sign up to OnAir, FSeconomy or a Virtual Airline and so some flying with them. Or find a group flight to join for a casual fly.

Associate
Hi all, i have been watching video after video of MS Flight Simulator game play and decided to pull the trigger.

I am looking to buy a Yoke and Throttle to start me off.

Yoke I am looking at: Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls (when they come back in stock)
Throttle: Logitech G Saitek Pro throttle quadrant or TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

Any changes do you think i should make? Budget of around £350 maybe £400.

Good choice with the honeycomb yoke. I have one and it is fantastic. If you are definitely going down the route of a yoke then you 100% need rudder pedals. Mapping the rudder to buttons is a terrible idea. Rudder on a joystick is fine using the twist axis but that is not an option with the yoke. Don't let it put you off buying a yoke though as you could pick up a set of cheap thrustmaster rudder pedals for around £70-£80.

I have also pre-ordered the Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant. Should be with me around the start if December of all goes well.

Man of Honour
Good choice with the honeycomb yoke. I have one and it is fantastic. If you are definitely going down the route of a yoke then you 100% need rudder pedals. Mapping the rudder to buttons is a terrible idea. Rudder on a joystick is fine using the twist axis but that is not an option with the yoke. Don't let it put you off buying a yoke though as you could pick up a set of cheap thrustmaster rudder pedals for around £70-£80.

I have also pre-ordered the Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant. Should be with me around the start if December of all goes well.

Nice setup; I've got the Airbus Stick and Throttle pre-ordered; I don't think I've got space for the yoke!

Associate

Nice setup; I've got the Airbus Stick and Throttle pre-ordered; I don't think I've got space for the yoke!

I've ordered both the Honeycomb yoke and Airbus stick and throttle. I plan to map rudder to the stick twist axis for now and get rudder pedals early next year. I like the Honeycomb throttle but didnt want to commit to that cost just yet, something i might consider next year or just get another airbus throttle to add to the one the stick comes with.

Associate
I think the first round of VR will only support Windows Mixed Reality headsets with support for Oculus etc to follow at a later date. I'm signed up for the beta but I bet they'll be no more interested in me than they were with the original alpha/beta phase. I've got a HP Reverb so should meet the basic requirements.

Soldato
Anyone hoping to use the Oculus Quest with this once VR becomes available? (and hopefully other headsets will be supported)

Reverb G2 is the plan personally, but the quest 2 will be great for it I’m sure.

Performance will the the interesting bit - both the Quest 2 and the G2 will be extremely demanding. I’m assuming reprojection will likely be a necessity until some serious optimisations occur for this game or we hit the next generation of cards after RTX3000s/RX6000s (and probably CPUs too, although if they improve core scaling over time that won’t be an issue).

In that regard the Quest 2 should actually be great because for all their foibles Oculus is, in my opinion, the clear leader with ATW and ASW vs the steam and WMR equivalents to date.

Associate

Cheap at £70-80? :)
Nice set up though, Im going to grab a yoke as well.

What size screen?

I have a couple of 27" screens and a couple of 24" but I read multi screens arent supported yet?

Associate
Cheap at £70-80? :)
Nice set up though, Im going to grab a yoke as well.

What size screen?

I have a couple of 27" screens and a couple of 24" but I read multi screens arent supported yet?

I've seen on the official forums and reddit that people have multiple screens already, so I think it's supported.

Not sure if it's new because of the update, but I've seen my first instances of fog/cloud at low level going through forests, thought that looked pretty cool.

Soldato
The buggy autopilot in the 747 is infuriating. A320 better but still randomly does what it wants.
Latest patch seems to have made it worse. Now not only does it track left and right (hunting) when following a course, it is also porpoising through a range of about 500 feet above and below your selected altitude. Essentially it's unusable.

Associate
Seems the game hates me this afternoon, thought I might like to go for a flight this evening so turned the laptop on early so I could install the new update. After some messing around, where it told me there was an error updating the App Store part, now the game starts but after pressing a key to continue it displays the Japan background picture, has a busy icon thing bottom right hand corner for a few seconds, then that stops and it does nothing. Not sure if it's here it asks me to update or after it's displayed the Japan tiles over the background but it does neither. The CPU is stuck at around 50% overall usage and the GFX adaptor at 100% ( to simply display a static image :rolleyes: ) Left it for 30 mins without any joy. Tried several times but it just gets stuck.

Guess no flying for me later.

Associate
Fixed it :) I guess something was messed up in the 'secret' WindowsApps folder. Getting access to this seems to be quite problematic but luckily for me both the Launcher and the Game I had installed on their own drive. I copied everything off, bar the WindowsApps folder, and reformatted the drive. I then was able to install the Launcher again so I copied the save files back and now FS 2020 is installing the patch.

Soldato
First military Jet available as far as I know.... saw someone flying it on youtube and seemed like the impressions were good. I will personally be waiting for it to come to the MSFS store (which it should be I believe) I think but you can already buy it here. Comes with two variants.

https://secure.simmarket.com/indiafoxtecho-mb-339-msfs.phtml

243696_118859325_3788584851154948_603944049106861087_o.jpg

edit - video review:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom