**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Definitely something odd there - just played a bit and I’m getting around 40fps on 2070S at a little under 4k (80% res scale), high-end preset, 3900X, 32gb ram... GPU pegged at 100%

Yeah performance is very similar to my 2070S I had maybe slightly better.

I do have all settings max for example the sliders turned up to 2048, do you?

Everything set to lowest I'd be lucky to get higher frames and upping to 4k doesn't change the frames much

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah performance is very similar to my 2070S I had maybe slightly better.

I do have all settings max for example the sliders turned up to 2048, do you?

Everything set to lowest I'd be lucky to get higher frames and upping to 4k doesn't change the frames much

Sounds like main thread bottleneck then if you got similar between 2070S and 3080 and little change between 4k and 1440p etc... What CPU do you have?

What plane/where you flying? Try turning off live traffic if it's on. If flying something with panels, try lowering panel refresh rate as it reduces CPU load.

In main settings page at bottom on left go to developers, then enable developer mode and I bet you see limited by main thread pop up (options - rendering - display FPS)

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like main thread bottleneck then if you got similar between 2070S and 3080 and little change between 4k and 1440p etc... What CPU do you have?

What plane/where you flying? Try turning off live traffic if it's on. If flying something with panels, try lowering panel refresh rate as it reduces CPU load.

In main settings page at bottom on left go to developers, then enable developer mode and I bet you see limited by main thread pop up (options - rendering - display FPS)

I'm running. 3700x, using Ryzen balance power plan.

I tried the A320 neo and. Can't remember what the other plane was but it's the fastest turboprop in the game

Associate
Hi

my dad used to play FSX original (using an old 4-core sandy bridge i5 @ 4.8Ghz / 4GB RAM / GTX460 and a 1TB HDD which maxed out the system but worked (also had the upgrades/addons for weather & traffic etc and optimal settings added) and it worked great, but it looks nothing like the new one, after a while, he got bored and but stopped, now in the summer he heard about FSX2020 and instead of having to spend several hundreds of pounds upgrading to a decent gaming PC thought it would be cheaper to buy an Xbox One X for £250 as it was gunna be available on that too... but it isn't and there is no timeline even though one is considered as being "in the works" it sounds like it's not going to happen.

I suggested at least 16GB RAM (24Gb-32Gb recommended) at least an 8-Core recently made (last 0-2 years) CPU and 1TB SSD (for installs) + 2TB HDD (for temp storage) - this game supposedly has 40,000 HD Discs worth of data to stream and would imagine it being tough system-wide so no bottlenecks.

23" 1080p@60Hz ONLY SO NO 4k HORSEPOWER NEEDED

can anyone help as everyone knows the "minimum requirements" just aren't up to the real task?

thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Hi

my dad used to play FSX original (using an old 4-core sandy bridge i5 @ 4.8Ghz / 4GB RAM / GTX460 and a 1TB HDD which maxed out the system but worked (also had the upgrades/addons for weather & traffic etc and optimal settings added) and it worked great, but it looks nothing like the new one, after a while, he got bored and but stopped, now in the summer he heard about FSX2020 and instead of having to spend several hundreds of pounds upgrading to a decent gaming PC thought it would be cheaper to buy an Xbox One X for £250 as it was gunna be available on that too... but it isn't and there is no timeline even though one is considered as being "in the works" it sounds like it's not going to happen.

I suggested at least 16GB RAM (24Gb-32Gb recommended) at least an 8-Core recently made (last 0-2 years) CPU and 1TB SSD (for installs) + 2TB HDD (for temp storage) - this game supposedly has 40,000 HD Discs worth of data to stream and would imagine it being tough system-wide so no bottlenecks.

23" 1080p@60Hz ONLY SO NO 4k HORSEPOWER NEEDED

can anyone help as everyone knows the "minimum requirements" just aren't up to the real task?

thanks

Is your dad going to stick with the GTX460? Might be a huge bottleneck there?

If he only intends to play 1080p, you won't need to get anything too beefy to replace it, 30-40fps is perfectly playable.

Associate
Is your dad going to stick with the GTX460? Might be a huge bottleneck there?

If he only intends to play 1080p, you won't need to get anything too beefy to replace it, 30-40fps is perfectly playable.
its 11 years old PC - think he needs a new one by now - PSU has already been replaced once so far - its a 2nd gen i5 with 4 cores , 4GB Ram - its not gunna play FS2020 at all
he just wants tthe cheapest way of getting it to play at decent quality settings at 60Hz 1920x1080

Associate
its 11 years old PC - think he needs a new one by now - PSU has already been replaced once so far - its a 2nd gen i5 with 4 cores , 4GB Ram - its not gunna play FS2020 at all
he just wants tthe cheapest way of getting it to play at decent quality settings at 60Hz 1920x1080

What budget does he have?

Soldato
FS2020 struggles somewhat on my 2600K @ 4.5Ghz and a 980ti, I have 16GB of RAM and it's running off an SSD. Does that help?

What resolution are you playing at?

Your CPU and your GPU need upgrading. I have a 4770K and 980Ti and my CPU usage clips 100%, GPU is hammered, but I am playing at 4K, for my sins on this GPU.

Associate
What resolution are you playing at?

Your CPU and your GPU need upgrading. I have a 4770K and 980Ti and my CPU usage clips 100%, GPU is hammered, but I am playing at 4K, for my sins on this GPU.

Are you playing at 100% scale?

I have the 980ti and can only really play comfortably at 60-80% depending on aircraft and surroundings, with mainly high settings

Soldato
Saw a dev Q&A that mentioned they have significant CPU optimisations coming with the next patch.... significant improvements to multithreading and reduction in main thread bottlenecking. Might help with some of the performance woes for those already with beefier GPUs.

thought it would be cheaper to buy an Xbox One X for £250 as it was gunna be available on that too... but it isn't and there is no timeline even though one is considered as being "in the works" it sounds like it's not going to happen.

Broad target but billy big boss of the project (Jorg) says coming to Xbox in 2021... mentioned in this long Dev Q&A somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom