*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

Anyone thinking of getting a screen protector for their GamePad?

There is an official Nintendo one (£7.99) and a Hori officially licensed one (£5.99) but not much else. I always buy screen protectors and will do for this but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

I will probably wait a bit and then e bay will probably be full of packs of five for a pound or two.

Anyone thinking of getting a screen protector for their GamePad?

There is an official Nintendo one (£7.99) and a Hori officially licensed one (£5.99) but not much else. I always buy screen protectors and will do for this but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

I will probably wait a bit and then e bay will probably be full of packs of five for a pound or two.

Definetly,just not bothered looking,yet,will do though,my grandson will have his mitts on the gamepad every chance he gets.:D

Zombie U has no online multiplayer =/ it has offline co-op, offline 'death match' (1 player survives, the other spawns zombies and such) and 'assault mode' whatever that means.

Big let down, so far none of the big launch titles support online play at all .. what is this, the 1990's?

that game looked promising but lack of online play really is dissappointing. I was considering a WiiU but it's looking less and less like a hardcore gamer unit and still a family fun box. I think I'll stick with the PS3 for now.

that game looked promising but lack of online play really is dissappointing. I was considering a WiiU but it's looking less and less like a hardcore gamer unit and still a family fun box. I think I'll stick with the PS3 for now.

I laugh at this post.

"Hardcore gamer unit" indeed.

I have all the current consoles, theres nothing hardcore about any of them, they are designed so your average mouth breather can stuff a disc in the hole and instantly be playing some dumbed down excuse for an FPS or RPG.

;)

I laugh at this post.

"Hardcore gamer unit" indeed.

I have all the current consoles, theres nothing hardcore about any of them, they are designed so your average mouth breather can stuff a disc in the hole and instantly be playing some dumbed down excuse for an FPS or RPG.

;)

That sounds rather elitist?

So to test your argument, how does Skyrim differ on the PC say to the 360? How is the 360 version dumbed down for mouth breathers?

He's not particularly saying that, he's just saying all the current consoles are really designed so the average person can put an RPG/Shooter in and being playing quickly with minimal hassle, and he's correct.

Skyrim PC you could argue has far better mod support, official texture DLC etc, but either way that game, like oblivion, was designed with a console in mind, but that wasn't really quite what he was trying to say TBH.

And I agree.
Whilst the software library for the Wii meant it kinda got relegated; the current release plans for the Wii U seem to put it on a similar par with the PS3/360 in terms of games coming out; which would indeed make them all equal, and not particularly hardcore.

The only thing hardcore about any of the consoles is the occasional game which comes out which is a tougher like Bayonetta or Demon Souls...

He's not particularly saying that, he's just saying all the current consoles are really designed so the average person can put an RPG/Shooter in and being playing quickly with minimal hassle, and he's correct.
Still sounds unnecessary elitist to me. "so the average person can put an RPG/Shooter in and being playing quickly with minimal hassle" = "mouth breather"? Cumon! Not really any different to the PC in reality.

And I agree.
Whilst the software library for the Wii meant it kinda got relegated; the current release plans for the Wii U seem to put it on a similar par with the PS3/360 in terms of games coming out; which would indeed make them all equal, and not particularly hardcore.

The only thing hardcore about any of the consoles is the occasional game which comes out which is a tougher like Bayonetta or Demon Souls...
Not even sure what a hardcore game even is TBH? But I suspect it would involve more niche titles with lower sales figures, so it's hardly surprising these may not be found on the consoles?

Now I don't own a console, although the family (kids) have a Wii, as I far prefer the PC as a gaming option, but it bugs me when people get all over protective and unnecessarily seem to give consoles a hard time. Consoles are very good at what they do if you think about it. A gaming platform for £150 which will match a PC costing multiples of that. Isn't bad is it!

Last edited:
Now I don't own a console, although the family (kids) have a Wii, as I far prefer the PC as a gaming option, but it bugs me when people get all over protective and unnecessarily seem to give consoles a hard time. Consoles are very good at what they do if you think about it. A gaming platform for £150 which will match a PC costing multiples of that. Isn't bad is it!

Pretty much spot on. I don't have the time anymore to be keeping up with the latest hardware upgrade or software patch to ensure I can run BF3 at the highest frame rate. Instead I can come home from work, stick my disc in and play my friends online with ease.

I'd also be somewhat misguided if I were to be spending a small fortune right now on a gaming rig when I'm looking to buy a house in the new year but I guess that isn't the point. A Wii or a Wii U by the looks of things will not full fill my requirement for gaming.

Yeah it is rather elitist, "your average mouth breather" just makes him sound like a prat.

You know what I meant though, in terms of consoles. But yes I'll bow down oh great one.

No it's not being a prat, its you not understanding what's in front of you.

A console has to appeal to a large a demographic as possible, if they are remotely difficult to use or play they don't sell.

Its also no coincidence that the largest selling console games are the ones which require the least effort to gain the most emotional satisfaction/rewards.

As for the elitist comments, there is nothing elitist about what I said, and neither did I mention the PC.
I said as I own all the current consoles and handhelds I can say that without any doubt at all that there is nothing hardcore about any of them, by their very nature they are simplistic high reward low effort entertainment for the masses.

Pretty much spot on. I don't have the time anymore to be keeping up with the latest hardware upgrade or software patch to ensure I can run BF3 at the highest frame rate. Instead I can come home from work, stick my disc in and play my friends online with ease.

I'd also be somewhat misguided if I were to be spending a small fortune right now on a gaming rig when I'm looking to buy a house in the new year but I guess that isn't the point. A Wii or a Wii U by the looks of things will not full fill my requirement for gaming.

I can see how much more effort it is to click the Battlefield 3 link on Firefox then click on the server I wish to play on, than it is running it on a PS3.

That like NEVER has any software updates to games or the O/S ever.

I have a wii for the kids with a hard drive connected...........I own all the originals and dont want them scratched before anyone starts:)

Is this new one really worth getting for the kids, as it could be a joint present to all three of them.

The premium 32gb is around £299 ish whats the difference between this and the cheaper ones? And is the memory only for downloaded games and saves? Or is there something spectacular planned?

Aw bless you, I see what is happening here really, you're being protective that someone might have wrongly categorised the term Hardcore Gamer. How cute.

No, Im a bit narked about you being a condesending ***** and insulting me in both of your posts.

Simply because you jumped in with both feet without fully understanding what I was saying.

But not to worry, Ill get over it.

Damn it, there are some times where you REALLY need someone to see what you are calling them.

No, Im a bit narked about you being a condesending ***** and insulting me in both of your posts.

Simply because you jumped in with both feet without fully understanding what I was saying.

But not to worry, Ill get over it.

Damn it, there are some times where you REALLY need someone to see what you are calling them.

Ah! It's his/our fault people have taken offense when your post implied console gamers were "mouth breathers" etc...

Maybe you didn't mean that, but the bigger man might have simply and politely explained their true meaning. But you instead continue insulting folks.

I have a wii for the kids with a hard drive connected...........I own all the originals and dont want them scratched before anyone starts:)

Is this new one really worth getting for the kids, as it could be a joint present to all three of them.

The premium 32gb is around £299 ish whats the difference between this and the cheaper ones? And is the memory only for downloaded games and saves? Or is there something spectacular planned?

The memory is for the operating system, downloads and saves. From reading about it the OS and other pre-installed stuff takes up about 4gb, this will leave only just over 3 gb on the basic system for downlads, saves etc. It looks as though there will be demos to download in the future so I think that the 8gb is too tight, although it would seem pretty easy to upgrade.

I don't understand what the issue is with storage. If 8Gb or 32Gb isn't enough, buy external storage! Storage is cheap, and I suspect many people on this forum at least will have old drives in the house.

I have 2x 80gb, a 120gb, ans a 500gb sitting in my PC junk box. Cheap enclosure and jobs a good un.

If people are genuinely going to take direct download games seriously, then they will need more than the (Xbox/PS3) standard 320Gb drive to house games anyway (the Wii U discs can go up to 25Gb, despite NSMBU only being 2Gb).

by their very nature they are simplistic high reward low effort entertainment for the masses.

I always assumed hardcore was derived from how much the individual user played or increased their skill level within any medium, not necessarily the medium itself.

E.g. darts. People play down the pub etc for some fun, and then you have the actual sport that is taken to the Nth degree.

My belief is that it applies to games, as well as anything, so long as the user wishes to become "hardcore" at it.

Back on topic!

Can't see me buying a Wii-U. Doesn't seem hardcore enough.

Back
Top Bottom