*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

Wii U's Scary Automatic Shutoff Feature

Be careful when you pause a Wii U game - it just might cost you.

Nintendo's new system features an 'automatic shutoff' feature, which turns off the system "if there has been no input for a set period of time," according to the system's manual. Here's the catch - a lack of input is still counted when a game is running and paused. We know - we had the system shut off on us when we left the system alone and came back after 90 minutes. System - off. Game progress - lost. By default, this option is activated, and appears to be set to activate after an hour, as we painfully learned.

All is not lost, however. This is able to be adjusted within the system options. You can turn the feature off entirely, or simply adjust the range of 'idle time' the system needs to register. All in all it's not a big deal - unless you don't know it exists. Then you might find yourself replaying a significant portion of a game, as we just did.

Nintendo consoles don't have media playback abilities, they can't even play basic things like CD's or DVD's.

I don't want to play CDs and DVDs... I'd like it to view photos, play MP3 (or FLAC) and ideally video media... If this was offered in a simple friendly media library perfect.

They're missing an obvious target here!

I saw my first Wii U advert this morning, and it was terrible.

Succeeded in making the console look really poor, and didn't seem to show it doing much.

I had thought Nintendo might have came up with a clever twist for this kind of thing, but apparently not.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/11/wii-u-wont-have-a-univeral-achievements-system-report/

Wii U won’t have a universal achievements system – report

The Wii U won’t have an accomplishment system analogous to the PlayStation Network’s trophies or Xbox Live’s Achievements, according to one developer.

The news comes via Scribblenauts developer 5th Cell’s creative director and co-founder Jeremiah Slaczka.

“There are no Wii U accomplishments that are system-wide,” he wrote on NeoGAF.

Instead, it seems developers will be able to implement their own individual accomplishment systems should they choose.

“Scribblenauts Unlimited loosely has them in the form of ‘Global Starite Shards’ which is like a giant checklist of global things to spawn and do in the game that aren’t area specific,” Slaczka said, for example.

Although the Wii U’s launch is nearly upon us – November 18 in the US, and November 30 in Europe – Nintendo has been slow to detail its online connectivity, leaving many in hopes of an as-yet-unannounced accomplishments system. That hope appears to be fruitless.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

Back
Top Bottom