*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

Associate
Probably the most important video to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GKCyhJ1tyXQ

If that's all true then IMO they can't come in and sustain anything over £199.99. They learned with the 3DS that people won't pay a lot for hardware these days. I did find it amusing how he discussed how powerful Nintendo would be if it had Mario/Zelda + CoD/etc. Well duh. He really doesn't understand that as soon as Xbox 720/PS4 are out that's Nintendo left behind AGAIN for 3rd party. Also Nintendo doesn't understand online like Microsoft does with Live.

As for how the console will do it's all up in the air. The DS and Wii were both slated as being "gimmicky" to start with and (financially) they both did insanely well. People could buy into the gimmick/The New Wii thing. Or perhaps a lot of them will realise they didn't use their Wii that much and leave it alone as they have an iPad/iPhone now.

Associate
I look forward to the new Wii, but the first Wii really wasn't for me.
I only have an interest in Nintendo consoles for the Nintendo franchise games i.e. Mario, Zelda. So far all I miss is Skyward sword and Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha, funny but you cannot possibly classify "next-gen" as having better than the current graphical capabilities!

The Wii-U brings a new, unique asymmetric gameplay experience that no other console provides. It also is a massive upgrade in hardware over the Wii (so for Nintendo IS a next generation). It has a camera, NFC, touchscreen built into the gamepad - which is the obvious next step unless you go to a kinect-like solution.

It's thoroughly next-gen unless all you are concerned about is graphics.

Soldato
Haha, funny but you cannot possibly classify "next-gen" as having better than the current graphical capabilities!

The Wii-U brings a new, unique asymmetric gameplay experience that no other console provides. It also is a massive upgrade in hardware over the Wii (so for Nintendo IS a next generation). It has a camera, NFC, touchscreen built into the gamepad - which is the obvious next step unless you go to a kinect-like solution.

Yes but when the next box and PS4 are out the "next gen" games will be the likes of Assasins Creed 4 , Will the Wiiu be getting a "next gen game" If PS4 and next box graphics are a huge step up there is no way the WIIu will ever get these games. Unless its stripped down just like the Wii now

It probably will not hence it being a forgotten console again

Man of Honour
Yes but when the next box and PS4 are out the "next gen" games will be the likes of Assasins Creed 4 , Will the Wiiu be getting a "next gen game" If PS4 and next box graphics are a huge step up there is no way the WIIu will ever get these games. Unless its stripped down just like the Wii now

It probably will not hence it being a forgotten console again

You could say the same in reverse. Would next gen WiiU games come out on the next MS/Sony console? If so they will have all the additional Wii Pad controls stripped from it.

Soldato
You could say the same in reverse. Would next gen WiiU games come out on the next MS/Sony console? If so they will have all the additional Wii Pad controls stripped from it.

i really really dont see many third party exclusive games for the wiiu. What are these next gen games on the wii? because so far all it is getting are games they we have already played on the PS3/Xbox. Its going to have a years head start not enough tiime for a big enough install base to warrant Wiiu 3rd party exclusives

I mean what 3rd party exclusives have they announced?

Batman, Battlefield, Mass Effect, darksiders... oh wait/

Soldato
What on Earth have currently announced exclusives got to do with it?

you said
Would next gen WiiU games come out on the next MS/Sony console?

and what im trying to say is what are these next gen games? Obviously they are not going to get Nintendo 1st party games so what are these 3rd party exclusive games that only the wiiu is going to get and not the next playstation and xbox?

Caporegime
Pricing it like it's a graphically capable machine would only work if they'd actually shown some of these "next gen" games.
Wii-U is months from launch and surrounded in mystery capability wise ; GJ Nintendo.

Caporegime

But everything I've read from developers they have put it on a par with the 360/ps3.

So it's current Gen in my eyes. Yes it may have innovative control methods but that doesn't make it next generation as you could say the wii was a new generation of consoles.

Only time will tell how well it's received.

Soldato
Nobody else think Nintendo would be making somewhere above zero amount of fuss about it if the Wii U had some serious power under the hood? ;)

Associate
OP
Looking back over the 40 Wii games in my collection, there are few that were cross-platform (meaning PS3/360). Sure, many are 'family' games, which most gamers don't care for, but there are other titles:

(Obviously the first-party, but they're important as well)

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Red Steel
Mad World
Okami
Endless Ocean 1 & 2
a boy and his blob
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Little King's Story (looking forward to the next one on PS3)
Another Code R
Zack & Wiki
Zelda - Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword
Kirkby's Epic Yarn
Boom Blox 1 & 2
Donkey Kong country returns
Xenoblade Chronicles

I'd love for those games to come out on PS3, but it's unlikely - LKS is unusual in that respect.

Being able to play them, and the sequels, etc. in 720p/1080p is reason enough for me to buy the WiiU. Being able to play the existing titles on the handheld screen is a bonus.

There's so much talk about 'next gen' except nobody can really define what it is. The next round of Sony & Microsoft consoles will be behind the top-end PCs, and resolution isn't really what's missing from graphics (a big hint here - how often do you find yourself watching a bluray movie, and thinking it's a bit **** at only 1080p/24 :D ),

UE4 will be excellent, and the PC will be the place to go for that. I'll likely get a PS4, as I like a lot of the Sony exclusive franchises. MS give me nothing, as I don't care for the Halo or Gears worlds.

Today, I've mostly been playing Crush3D on the 3DS. In a bit, I'll be back (again) to Dragon's Dogma on the PS3 and next week will be Lollipop Chainsaw, followed by Lego Batman 2. I'm also playing through Dead Island and Risen 2 on the PC.

Variety, etc.

I really think some people are going to be disappointed quickly when they realise how far the 'next gen' doesn't really jump from what's possible already on PC. At least there are plenty of new gaming ideas coming out, and the animation/AI are improving again.

Back
Top Bottom