• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official OcUK Coffeelake review thread

Soldato
perfrel_1920_1080.png

The i5 8400 is really good, as for the rest of them, '8700K/8600K' well of course they ain't bad but again vs the 8400 and the Ryzen 1600 they are massively over priced.
Looking at all those reviews what struck me the most was just how far Ryzen is behind in gaming now to the big intel chips, even compared to a four core four thread non K kaby chip it's slightly behind as your chart shows.

People make so much noise about Ryzen on these forums and yes you have the value card but those weaker lower clocked cores can't seem to compete.

Associate
Looking at all those reviews what struck me the most was just how far Ryzen is behind in gaming now to the big intel chips, even compared to a four core four thread non K kaby chip it's slightly behind as your chart shows.

People make so much noise about Ryzen on these forums and yes you have the value card but those weaker lower clocked cores can't seem to compete.

This is fair enough, but its worth remembering that when benchmarking CPUs in games they have to fiddle things to make them CPU bound. So in real world gaming situations the gap is a lot smaller.

Soldato
hahahahah linus video is called ryzen killer. these forums lol. basically intel have just stomped on amds ryzen. before these there was a point to buying ryzen now there isnt.read all the reviews.great chips.
Laughing at other people whilst getting suckered in by Linus' clickbait title. Classic. I've been reading the reviews for the past hour and am pretty underwhelmed. The 8700K in particular seems like a complete joke for the price. The 8400 is more interesting, but certainly not "stomping" on Ryzen by any means.

just how far Ryzen is behind in gaming now to the big intel chip
According to the very chart you quoted, a stock 3.2GHz R5 1600 is 10.4% slower for gaming than an 8700K clocked at 5GHz. A chip which costs twice as much, overclocked to the absolute limit. Wow!

If anything, all this launch has done is show how irrelevant newer CPUs are in terms of boosting gaming performance, even at 1080p. At 1440p and above you might as well still be using Sandy Bridge.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
hahahahah linus video is called ryzen killer. these forums lol. basically intel have just stomped on amds ryzen. before these there was a point to buying ryzen now there isnt.read all the reviews.great chips.

Well I'm glad you put so much faith in Linus, I actually use my head when deciding whether a product it good or not, and given the price of the processor and motherboards, certainly the i5 8600 and upwards aren't great value. Not everyone likes to throw money at a problem to gain a few fps.

Also you are a known anti-Amd fanboy on these forums, so I put little value in your opinion anyway.

Soldato
I've always said the 8400 will be the chip that makes the most impact. The problem is the motherboard.

I said, on pricing... not impact on the mark you said it would be "somewhat over £200, maybe £220 or £230" now it is released at ~£175 it has become good value, no? You can get a decent ASRock Z370 board for £109.99 or less, so I'd hardly call boards a problem if you are buying an 8400 chip.

Associate
If anything, all this launch has done is show how irrelevant newer CPUs are in terms of boosting gaming performance, even at 1080p. At 1440p and above you might as well still be using Sandy Bridge.

Totally agree. It's becoming even more apparent when gaming at 1440p and above that the differences between cpu's is really a case of diminishing returns. Whether you have Ryzen or an intel cpu that's a few generations old you're not really having a vastly different experience when gaming at high resolutions.

Associate
Laughing at other people whilst getting suckered in by Linus' clickbait title. Classic. I've been reading the reviews for the past hour and am pretty underwhelmed. The 8700K in particular seems like a complete joke for the price. The 8400 is more interesting, but certainly not "stomping" on Ryzen by any means.

According to the very chart you quoted, a stock 3.2GHz R5 1600 is 10.4% slower for gaming than an 8700K clocked at 5GHz. A chip which costs twice as much, overclocked to the absolute limit. Wow!

Isn't that what the guy from Nvidia said that the CPU are lacking behind GPU atm. For me R51600 is enough for 1440p. I would rater get another 1070 than change CPU for few fps.

Soldato
OP
I said, on pricing... not impact on the mark you said it would be "somewhat over £200, maybe £220 or £230" now it is released at ~£175 it has become good value, no? You can get a decent ASRock Z370 board for £109.99 or less, so I'd hardly call boards a problem if you are buying an 8400 chip.

Well TBH,its a shame why Intel can't unlock the B series motherboards so you could use an £80 one. Still a nice chip!!

Associate
Disappointing lineup. Intel should be dragged through the mud regarding the mandatory Z370 chipset for these CPU's. Even if you buy a locked CPU, you'll still need to pair it with their most expensive chipset as the cheaper boards aren't available until a later date. Yet, this will be probably be overlooked by reviewers.

I'm currently gathering parts for a new system, primarily for work, it'll definitely be an AMD CPU that'll be going into it. Intel are all over the place.

Oh, and LinusTechTips vids should be banned on forums like these. I wouldn't trust that source with a bag of rice.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well I'm glad you put so much faith in Linus, I actually use my head when deciding whether a product it good or not, and given the price of the processor and motherboards, certainly the i5 8600 and upwards aren't great value. Not everyone likes to throw money at a problem to gain a few fps.

Also you are a known anti-Amd fanboy on these forums, so I put little value in your opinion anyway.

actually as i have said before im not for or against any company. i just want the best for my money.company loyalty isnt where my money goes.it goes on the best or better pc components. the funny thing is while you so hell bent on saying im anti amd you probably missed that i have a ryzen rig along with my intel pcs. once you start stepping into enthusiast range it isnt about value. intel have amd stomped on.regardless of whether linus video is clickbait title which is pretty obvious but it shows you intel have brough very good cpus out.better than ryzens.anyone who says not is lying. overall the better performance is on a intel chip.

Soldato

Wow really? just really? haha omg ok....

How many times have we been over this? 10% is the rough difference between AMD chips and Intel K chips @ 1080p when gaming.. 10%... at 100fps thats still giving you 90fps roughly, omg noooo wheres my 10fps? the lower fps you go the less impact it is, the higher you go the numbers obviously skew into the Intel chips favour, but lets be honest, who notices the difference between 120fps and 132fps? add in Adaptive sync and your issue is not even apparent anymore....

Your AMD salt is transparent and obvious.. please try harder.

ljt

ljt

Soldato

Perhaps some of us (myself included) prefer value over sheer performance?

Even when the graphs shows differences of 80fps for Ryzen and 130fps for Intel, if the Ryzen is cheaper I'll go for that. I won't notice the difference above 80fps anyway, so why spend more money for something I wont notice.

This also applies to the platform. If I can get away without having to replace my motherboard when the newer Ryzen CPU's launch over the next few years, then that will save me more money, which is more important to me. I believe the Z370 is really only going to be for CoffeeLake? which would put me off buying into that platform because it would mean buying yet another motherboard and CPU come next the next CPU upgrade

Permabanned
What I find surprising is the performance difference between a stock i5 or i7 and a 5.0ghz overclocked cpu, it hardly makes any difference at all. Why would you spend £500+ for the tiniest improvement it fps is beyond me. Delidding is a poor excuse as it's really quite simple to do it yourself for not a lot of money.

Think I'll pass on an upgrade for now.

Soldato
Perhaps some of us (myself included) prefer value over sheer performance?

Even when the graphs shows differences of 80fps for Ryzen and 130fps for Intel, if the Ryzen is cheaper I'll go for that. I won't notice the difference above 80fps anyway, so why spend more money for something I wont notice.

This also applies to the platform. If I can get away without having to replace my motherboard when the newer Ryzen CPU's launch over the next few years, then that will save me more money, which is more important to me. I believe the Z370 is really only going to be for CoffeeLake? which would put me off buying into that platform because it would mean buying yet another motherboard and CPU come next the next CPU upgrade

Smart man, the whole thing about the endless chase for high fps numbers is hilarious.... If you game at 1080p then your CPU is going to have a bit of an impact on your overall fps, if you game at 1440p or 4K then your GPU is doing most of the work. If your smart you buy a GPU and an adaptive sync monitor that works with the GPU, then its almost irrelevant what top end FPS numbers you get, and as long as your lower end FPS numbers dont drop out of the adaptive sync range if using Freesync, then why worry if your cpu is only giving you 100fps where as the Intel one would give 110fps? your never ever going to see those missing 10fps and your gaming is smooth as silk anyhow thanks to adaptive sync.

Too many people get hung up on high fps, when simply spending your money on the correct hardware and getting your system balanced correctly will give you a much more superior gaming experience than simply chasing high fps.

Soldato
Having read reviews my thoughts are yes it's a bigger jump in performance over last gen, but still not big enough considering the price and you need to get a new mobo.

Guess I'm sticking with my 4790k a lot longer than I thought

Associate
Smart man, the whole thing about the endless chase for high fps numbers is hilarious.... If you game at 1080p then your CPU is going to have a bit of an impact on your overall fps, if you game at 1440p or 4K then your GPU is doing most of the work. If your smart you buy a GPU and an adaptive sync monitor that works with the GPU, then its almost irrelevant what top end FPS numbers you get, and as long as your lower end FPS numbers dont drop out of the adaptive sync range if using Freesync, then why worry if your cpu is only giving you 100fps where as the Intel one would give 110fps? your never ever going to see those missing 10fps and your gaming is smooth as silk anyhow thanks to adaptive sync.

Too many people get hung up on high fps, when simply spending your money on the correct hardware and getting your system balanced correctly will give you a much more superior gaming experience than simply chasing high fps.

There is a reason to chase high FPS today: longevity.

A chip that's doing 120fps Vs <100fps today is going to keep running games at >60fps far long into the future. Considering a platforms value in this second only is no value consideration at all.

The same discussions happen every single time core counts change, and before that it was when L2 cache sizes changed or the FSB speeds changed. The whole internet's just been going round in circles for 2 decades on this :p

ljt

ljt

Soldato

A chip that's doing 120fps Vs <100fps today is going to keep running games at >60fps far long into the future. Considering a platforms value in this second only is no value consideration at all.

The same discussions happen every single time core counts change, and before that it was when L2 cache sizes changed or the FSB speeds changed. The whole internet's just been going round in circles for 2 decades on this :p

That's all well and good if you care about always maintaining above 60fps, but if a system initially cost me say £200 less than the competition, and lasts me 5 years before an upgrade, but I could have spent £200 more to last 6 years, then I'll still choose the £200 savings and easily put up with a year of lowering settings in games, or running sub 60fps quite happily knowing it cost me £200 less initially.

Soldato
OP

Most people are GPU limited though and most are running 60HZ monitors,so you could argue for the average person that is money better put towards another graphics card upgrade.

Its why SB/IB has lasted so long.

Back
Top Bottom