** Official Recording/Streaming Tips & Tricks Exchange **

Soldato
OP
That's a pretty good deal!

Has anybody else noticed that Youtube now has some sort of in-built end-slate / end card tool? I'm not sure how long it's been there for but I'm tempted to give it a go and see how it works... anybody tried it?

Associate
Has anyone had problems with Shadowplay audio lately? Video is absolutely fine for what I want, and being able to recapture my last 20mins of gameplay if I want suits my infrequent use but for some reason since the latest update the audio is always only the mic channel or game audio only is sporadic at best. My headset connects via usb, mic/earphones are set to default devices. My google foo is failing me so far.

Any idea?

Caporegime
What would be a good game for a twitch beginner to start with

I've not tried Twitch myself, but maybe something that was a classic on a console which has been ported to the PC? Perhaps look at some of the Nintendo / PS / Xbox classics?

Has anybody else noticed that Youtube now has some sort of in-built end-slate / end card tool? I'm not sure how long it's been there for but I'm tempted to give it a go and see how it works... anybody tried it?

Yeah, I've noticed it: that column of mini-windows which appears on the right hand side of the screen? I've not tried it yet either.

Has anyone had problems with Shadowplay audio lately?

Apart from the thankfully relatively rare audio out of sync issue, due to ShadowPlay's variable bit rate, no, I can't say I have. Have you tried checking for updates / reinstalling GFE?

Soldato
Does anyone use OBS Studio to stream/record?
Do any of you use the AMD codec to do h264 encoding?

When I use the Twitch profile the video is really blocky. Using the CPU to encode is fine.
Are there some setting I need to alter?

Thanks.

Caporegime
Does anyone use OBS Studio to stream/record?
Do any of you use the AMD codec to do h264 encoding?

When I use the Twitch profile the video is really blocky. Using the CPU to encode is fine.
Are there some setting I need to alter?

Thanks.

I don't use OBS / Twitch just yet, but I've found that a blocky / pixellated video means the bitrate is too low - at least in my experience anyway.

The first example shows a bitrate of only 50mbs (because I forgot to check the settings after a driver update :mad: :rolleyes:), while the second video, although upscaled, looks much better - especially when you consider that titles like Stalker and Fallout tend to show lots of foliage.

The other tip when using a high bitrate is to really let your video process properly (several hours after it's available for release). Of course, there will always be some evidence of compression, since we are at the mercy of YouTube. I only use ShadowPlay; programs like Mirillis / Dxtory will give better image quality but come at a cost: much larger files / poorer recording fps. :)

50mbs (1:40 ish onwards):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQufL4niUV8&list=PLpjJkR6CPffhDChRmbS5Sox1u5CFayl58&index=41&t=46s

130mbs (I think):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcvPKA5KkrM&list=PLpjJkR6CPffhDChRmbS5Sox1u5CFayl58&index=20&t=106s

Not quite sure how to embed videos with really lengthy addresses?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi i have probably asked this question before but hey :D

I use shadowplay for record and for the moment windows movie maker (to compress and edit) videos.

2 gig uncompressed 12 minutes video
500mb compressed using movie maker. 1080p but loses a fair bit of quality imo

However even though the videos are 1080p they certainly lose some quality after the compression.

I now have managed to get the following

Sony Vegas Pro 13
Sony Movie Studio 13
Sony ACID Music Studio 10
Sony Audio Master Suite 11
Sony DVD Architect pro 6
Sony MoviEZ
Sony Sound Forge
VASST Sony Vegas Pro Pluginpack

and Photoshop CC 2015

I'm not really sure which one do go with. Does sony vegas do good compression of say a 2 gig video file down to 500mg without loosing much quality?

Soldato
Hi i have probably asked this question before but hey :D

I use shadowplay for record and for the moment windows movie maker (to compress and edit) videos.

2 gig uncompressed 12 minutes video
500mb compressed using movie maker. 1080p but loses a fair bit of quality imo

However even though the videos are 1080p they certainly lose some quality after the compression.

I now have managed to get the following

Sony Vegas Pro 13
Sony Movie Studio 13
Sony ACID Music Studio 10
Sony Audio Master Suite 11
Sony DVD Architect pro 6
Sony MoviEZ
Sony Sound Forge
VASST Sony Vegas Pro Pluginpack

and Photoshop CC 2015

I'm not really sure which one do go with. Does sony vegas do good compression of say a 2 gig video file down to 500mg without loosing much quality?

Problem with compression is no mater what you use your going to lose a considerable portion of quality by quartering the file size. Is there a reason you want it so much smaller when 2gb is a considerably small file already for 12 mins

Soldato
What bit rate do you record at with ShadowPlay?

edit: after faffing around i found the options for bit rate etc. But i dno why they changed it its annoying lol.

50 mbps
1920x1080
quality setting high (clicking on custom doesnt reveal more options)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Increase it to 130.

2v0jvpe.png
The quality you receive after editing will be down to the program you use, but upping the bit rate to 130 should help. I can certainly notice the difference when recording at 50 vs 130. :)

Last edited:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
As above, get your source video at the best possible quality - so 130.

Watch some tutorials on Youtube for rendering settings within Vegas. I have saved a couple of different templates that I use depending on what it is I'm uploading, and where I'm uploading to - i.e. my Youtube template will have different rendering settings compared to my Vimeo settings, which are different again from those I use for (near) lossless video.

It takes a lot of time playing around and working out what works best for you. Could be worth rendering out a short clip numerous times with different settings and uploading them privately to see what the final outcome will be like first.

Soldato
Depends on your set up / budget wise.

I have a 250gb SSD that I record on to for reduced latency, then just drag and drop it on to a plain normal 2tb HDD drive

How much space would say, a 2 hour 1080p require? (I have about 120gb left on my 240gb SSD).

Also a follow up question.

Is there a way to record 2 video streams at the same time, (screen cap and DSLR feed through OBS)? Would that be too much for a mechanical drive to handle?

Thanks.

Associate
Afraid I'm not at home, but my longest video I think is about 40 minutes or so, so I'll check when I'm home to tell you the size of that - but I would guestimate that 120gb is more then big enough.

You can set multiple capture's on OBS, as long as you have enough grunt in the CPU area and ram.

Its not so much the to much for the Mech HDD to handle, as opposed to the speed at which you write to it. SSD's or if poss a M.2 drive would be better IMHO due to there higher read write speeds.

Soldato
Thanks for your reply!

I'm trying to think through the logistics of what I'm trying to achieve.

I have 2 computers.
PC - i5 6500, 8gb RAM, 240gb SSD (about 120gb space left)
rMBP - i7 quad, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD.

My friend wants to record gameplay (with it's audio), record DSLR footage (can't record to it's SD card because of the 4gb limit, don't need to record the audio) and record audio into pro tools via and interface (this will all be mixed together after the fact).

PC will handle game recording, rMBP will handle audio so that leaves the DSLR.

I think I can tether it to either my PC or MAC and record but I'm not sure it will play nice while recording audio via pro tools.

Has anyone tried to do something similar, how did you achieve it?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Your hard-drive will take most of the strain (particularly if you're recording lossless), but this is dependent only on the dimensions and quality of the output file - a 1080p output recording with an embedded DSLR "face-cam" in the corner shouldn't tax the drive anymore than a 1080p output recording with no "face-cam"... but if you want the recorded DSLR footage to be totally separate then I think you want it going to 2 different drives/machines (as you've indicated) because you're recording to 2 independent files...

As for the audio source I'm not familiar with Mac versions of software but on the PC side most recording programs can handle the idea that you might have more than one possible audio source attached and you only want to record audio from one specific source. Easiest way if you've got all the gear is to dedicate a few hours to trying it out and see what happens

Soldato
Your hard-drive will take most of the strain (particularly if you're recording lossless), but this is dependent only on the dimensions and quality of the output file - a 1080p output recording with an embedded DSLR "face-cam" in the corner shouldn't tax the drive anymore than a 1080p output recording with no "face-cam"... but if you want the recorded DSLR footage to be totally separate then I think you want it going to 2 different drives/machines (as you've indicated) because you're recording to 2 independent files...

As for the audio source I'm not familiar with Mac versions of software but on the PC side most recording programs can handle the idea that you might have more than one possible audio source attached and you only want to record audio from one specific source. Easiest way if you've got all the gear is to dedicate a few hours to trying it out and see what happens

Essentially I think that's what I'm going to have to do.

I was planning to record the DSLR separately. Pro tools will be recording to an external HDD (as I always do). I might try recording the DLSR straight onto the rMBPs SSD.

Back
Top Bottom