** Official Recording/Streaming Tips & Tricks Exchange **

Soldato
OP
Essentially I think that's what I'm going to have to do.

I was planning to record the DSLR separately. Pro tools will be recording to an external HDD (as I always do). I might try recording the DLSR straight onto the rMBPs SSD.

I expect that'll be okay... the only remaining thing you'll have to do is ensure you have a way to sync up the recordings... I think what I'd do is start recording the audio first, then clearly say into your mic "I'm pressing record on the DSLR in 3,2,1,now" and then do the same again for the game recording software, but make sure your mouth is visible in the DSLR shot when you do the countdown for the game recording. That will give you some clear points in the audio waveforms and in the DSLR to get everything sync'd up

If you want to be extra thorough you can then do a more traditional in-game sync (i.e. move the mouse between two defined points on the screen whilst vocalising it, like "new game - quit - new game - quit - new game" on a main menu or something). Hope that makes sense

Soldato
I expect that'll be okay... the only remaining thing you'll have to do is ensure you have a way to sync up the recordings... I think what I'd do is start recording the audio first, then clearly say into your mic "I'm pressing record on the DSLR in 3,2,1,now" and then do the same again for the game recording software, but make sure your mouth is visible in the DSLR shot when you do the countdown for the game recording. That will give you some clear points in the audio waveforms and in the DSLR to get everything sync'd up

If you want to be extra thorough you can then do a more traditional in-game sync (i.e. move the mouse between two defined points on the screen whilst vocalising it, like "new game - quit - new game - quit - new game" on a main menu or something). Hope that makes sense

I was just going to clap each time we hit record so it can be synced up afterwards in adobe premiere.

Soldato
OP
I was just going to clap each time we hit record so it can be synced up afterwards in adobe premiere.

That's another way to do it and I know quite a few people do it that way as well... I prefer a vocal cue because a clap can be quite a huge spike in the audio, and I find a series of rhythmic vocal peaks easier to line up...

However additionally in your case how will the clap help you to line up the game audio? Or do you mean you'll hit record on the audio, then clap as you hit record on the camera, then clap again as you hit record on the game? How many hands do you have? ;) (or do you have a helper?)

Soldato
That's another way to do it and I know quite a few people do it that way as well... I prefer a vocal cue because a clap can be quite a huge spike in the audio, and I find a series of rhythmic vocal peaks easier to line up...

However additionally in your case how will the clap help you to line up the game audio? Or do you mean you'll hit record on the audio, then clap as you hit record on the camera, then clap again as you hit record on the game? How many hands do you have? ;) (or do you have a helper?)

Game audio will be recorded with the game video as 1 stream.

If you mean DSLR with game audio, it shouldn't matter too much if it's perfectly in sync because of the way it will be edited together but I hadn't really thought of that.

I suppose we could pause the game "123 unpause" or something if we need it perfectly(ish) in sync?

It's just the mic audio that will need to be synced with what is recorded with the DSLR video, we'll have a whole video of vocal cues technically so a clap probably isn't even really needed.! :)

Soldato
OP
Ah okay I had assumed you were recording it to be like a "face-cam" / live commentary type thing in which case you would want your reactions etc. to things happening in the game to be as sync'd up as possible. You're right as well that you can just sync up the DSLR and mic audio by looking at your lips moving etc. but it's deceptive how tricky it can be sometimes to work out roughly where the "start" is if you get what I mean...

Soldato
Increase it to 130.

The quality you receive after editing will be down to the program you use, but upping the bit rate to 130 should help. I can certainly notice the difference when recording at 50 vs 130. :)

Yeah i found it heh. Thanks i will try that.

As above, get your source video at the best possible quality - so 130.

Watch some tutorials on Youtube for rendering settings within Vegas. I have saved a couple of different templates that I use depending on what it is I'm uploading, and where I'm uploading to - i.e. my Youtube template will have different rendering settings compared to my Vimeo settings, which are different again from those I use for (near) lossless video.

It takes a lot of time playing around and working out what works best for you. Could be worth rendering out a short clip numerous times with different settings and uploading them privately to see what the final outcome will be like first.

Yeah when i do more recording i will experiment with short segments to find the best quality. Thanks for your help.

Soldato
After carrying out some research, it seems my DSLR won't do what I want it to do (record for hours even with nikonhack).

I've been looking at alternatives. Is the logitech c902 a good way to go?

I got the C920 recently and it is an excellent web cam with great quality. There is a new one out which is meant to replace it and has some features for people using green screens and is called the C922. Either way you'll be happy with the quality.

Caporegime
For those that are familiar with ShadowPlay, you may remember that you used to be able to make your recording session as one longer file, rather than being broken down into several smaller clips. I can't see a way of being able to do that now, but I assume it still must be in there somewhere? Does anyone know how to do that?

Caporegime
When exporting audio (Audacity), how come the wav file is so much shorter than the original recording? It's like 95% gets lopped off. :confused:

Think I've sorted it. It seems it doesn't like the 32-bit wav file, though I could have sworn I selected that for a previous video. Anyway, this time I tried 16-bit and all seems fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
When exporting audio (Audacity), how come the wav file is so much shorter than the original recording? It's like 95% gets lopped off. :confused:

Think I've sorted it. It seems it doesn't like the 32-bit wav file, though I could have sworn I selected that for a previous video. Anyway, this time I tried 16-bit and all seems fine.

This sounds pretty odd... I usually export to 32-bit and haven't noticed any problems; what format was the original recording?

zia

zia

Associate
For those that are familiar with ShadowPlay, you may remember that you used to be able to make your recording session as one longer file, rather than being broken down into several smaller clips. I can't see a way of being able to do that now, but I assume it still must be in there somewhere? Does anyone know how to do that?

20 mins is the max length you can record,go to instant replay,customise set slider to 20 mins.save

zia

Caporegime
^^ I set it to record the in-game resolution, which in my case is 1440p.

1znvjeu.png

Caporegime
Quick question for those using OBS Studio (I'm literally just starting out), but what represents 'Fullscreen Capture' in the sources options mentioned here in Halfmad's video (6:30 mins in)?

The version I have is 17.0.2 and the options I get are not quite the same:

2i6nwk9.png

Could it be 'Media Source' or 'Video Capture Device'?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Adobe is once again offering 40% off their third most expensive CC package. I didn't bother with it last time, though it was very tempting, but this time I just might.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick question for those using OBS Studio (I'm literally just starting out), but what represents 'Fullscreen Capture' in the sources options mentioned here in Halfmad's video (6:30 mins in)?

The version I have is 17.0.2 and the options I get are not quite the same:

2i6nwk9.png

Could it be 'Media Source' or 'Video Capture Device'?

I've always been confused by the terminology used in OBS to be honest mate. Just fired up mine to check what I use (changed a bit since I made that vid). Seems I use game capture when after games and target a specific .exe, but I do remember using display capture in the past when game capture failed me.

From member if you alt-tab whilst using game capture you'll likely bork your recording, but that's less likely to happen in display capture. At least from my experience and I break my recordings frequently by doing that.. :D

Back
Top Bottom