• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official Sapphire Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 5850 Extreme Owners Thread**

Soldato
any of these cards known for a failing fan? my brother has had an xfx 5850 since launch and got one of these saphires the other day but has had nothing but problems with it.

at first the sapphire wouldn't run at full speed and kept dropping to 2d clocks, i installed afterburner to fix that and now both cards run at full speed when gaming and the fan runs ok too once it's loaded.

heat was a big problem so he installed a h50-1 today to help keep case temps lower for the cards but now the sapphire is cutting out again before windows even boots so afterburner can't get the fan on in time and he has to remove that card to get the pc to boot again.

is it a case of flashing it to renove fan profiles or just send it back?

edit: should also mention that most of the times the CCC dont work properly either as its usually a blank page :/

Last edited:
Associate
well ive just got 1 today and had a bit play with bfbc2 and it runs fine,temps are good but not going to clock it as will be adding another later but will try a few more games over the next few days to make sure

Associate
I don't really overclock much these days but have had a fiddle out of idle curiosity.

The CCC Autotune sets itself it 830mhz, this isn't stable.

Trixx seems stable at 800mhz without adjusting the voltage.

Will carry on fiddling.

Associate
any of these cards known for a failing fan? my brother has had an xfx 5850 since launch and got one of these saphires the other day but has had nothing but problems with it.

at first the sapphire wouldn't run at full speed and kept dropping to 2d clocks, i installed afterburner to fix that and now both cards run at full speed when gaming and the fan runs ok too once it's loaded.

heat was a big problem so he installed a h50-1 today to help keep case temps lower for the cards but now the sapphire is cutting out again before windows even boots so afterburner can't get the fan on in time and he has to remove that card to get the pc to boot again.

is it a case of flashing it to renove fan profiles or just send it back?

edit: should also mention that most of the times the CCC dont work properly either as its usually a blank page :/

I am no expert, but this sounds like a crossfire problem, card not properly recognised or something.

OcUK Staff
yeah you do but the point is any other firm i have ever used fetch the product if faulty.

the onus is on the company you purchase from if the product is faulty not on the person. i paid for a working product. the reason i got for this on the phone is " it works out cheaper for us " :mad:

think i might just youtube me hitting the card with a hammer

hdpcgamer theyve told me ive got to send it to them as it works out better for them ! that is the exact words the guy from rma phone chat said no lie.

so not only have i not got my card ive got to pay extra for a broken card while i wait . like a extra kick in the balls.

Hi There,

If you do have a problem with one of our products please post in the Customer service section of the Forum so that we can deal with this for you. If you would like to direct your questions to this part of the Forum we will be more than happy to answer them for you.

Associate
Hmm. The testers say there is nothing wrong with the card and that they are returning it to me. I shall have to try other PCIe slots and maybe some fresh leads, and maybe get my system builder to have a go. Do you think that having updated the system BIOS might help?

Associate
Aha, I am not on Windows 7, I am on Vista 64 bit Ultimate. BUT I do have a Windows 7 Home Premium disc because that is what my laptop runs on, so a Windows 7 install is a possibility.

I do believe that the drivers are the same for Windows 7 and Vista 64. My system builder guy has just called around to borrow aforementioned Windows 7 disc and he is quite sure that if the system runs fine with the old card, and if I am having no problems with the current set up (which I'm not), then it really isn't an issue with my MOBO or processor. He thought far more likely that although I had the plugs in the right place, I may not have pushed them in firmly enough (I have arthritis in my hands so this can be an issue for me.) I also have the prospect of trying other PCI-e slots and also, my whopper of a PSU has spare 6 pin sockets and unused cables, has to be worth a punt. Yeah! Going to get this beast working! Despite my being grumpy in earlier posts, I do really want this card and the reviews on OCUK say it's a goodie, and if I can get this first card going, then I'm going to spend some of my bonus due end of this month on another for Crossfire goodness. And then wait impatiently for TES V....drool...

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to update my purchase:

Card came yesterday and everything went perfect with the install into my folk's AMD 245 system I'm using as a test rig.

Oh em gee this thing flies, even with a crap CPU. Cranked Crysis up to Very High with 4xFSAA @ 1680x1050 and it was still playable (at least in comparison to console standards which I'm now used to)!

Overall very happy with the purchase, oh and I've never owned a card this powerful that doesn't become a hairdryer at some point.

Cheap. Compact. Quiet. Fast.

Feel sorry for the chaps who somehow are having problems.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Oh em gee this thing flies, even with a crap CPU. Cranked Crysis up to Very High with 4xFSAA and it was still playable (at least in comparison to console standards which I'm now used to)!

Overall very happy with the purchase, oh and I've never owned a card this powerful that doesn't become a hairdryer at some point.

What resolution?

Associate
I'm sure there are some driver funnies causing problems.

My card is still very unpredictable... Some days it runs everything just fine, oter days it's jitters, vert lines and crashing withl driver error messages.

Very often with pc restart the issue goes away. CCC keeps showing differing clock speeds at different intervals... From 725 to 825 with no adjustment from myself.

I've tried bios flash, driver updates, driver cleans and further updates.

Sound familiar with anyone else?

Caporegime
I'm sure there are some driver funnies causing problems.

My card is still very unpredictable... Some days it runs everything just fine, oter days it's jitters, vert lines and crashing withl driver error messages.

Very often with pc restart the issue goes away. CCC keeps showing differing clock speeds at different intervals... From 725 to 825 with no adjustment from myself.

I've tried bios flash, driver updates, driver cleans and further updates.

Sound familiar with anyone else?

just rma it mines going back tomorrow tried everything just gunna get refund dont want same card back incase i get unlucky and get another broke one :(

Caporegime
Hi There,

If you do have a problem with one of our products please post in the Customer service section of the Forum so that we can deal with this for you. If you would like to direct your questions to this part of the Forum we will be more than happy to answer them for you.

cheers will add a few questions in my thread in there cheers for the help

Back
Top Bottom