• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official Sapphire Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 5850 Extreme Owners Thread**

Associate
Got mine today, nice and quiet card.

Just wondering though why I still see slow down/jerky frame rates occasonally in Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare when maxed out at 1680x1050? My system win xp, Asus p5w dh deluxe, 2gb ram, q6600 all at stock speeds.

Soldato
I've been looking for ages for a card to replace my brothers current one 4850 (??).

Seems to hit the right notes for me, it depends on what he thinks though.

Could you lot try and get it through his head to get this card, he will be reading this!

Caporegime
Got mine today, nice and quiet card.

Just wondering though why I still see slow down/jerky frame rates occasonally in Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare when maxed out at 1680x1050? My system win xp, Asus p5w dh deluxe, 2gb ram, q6600 all at stock speeds.

cpu bottleneck wants to be at 3 ghz min

Associate
Well, got my two cards today and here is a simple Far Cry 2 bench at max settings on my old card, new 5850 extreme on its own and in crossfire:

Q6600 @ 3.4GHZ
OCZ Reaper ddr2 800
DFI Lanparty x48

Far Cry 2

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1920x1080 (60Hz), D3D9, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(8x), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

ATI 4870 512mb

Average Framerate: 11.91
Max. Framerate: 26.90
Min. Framerate: 4.11

ATI 5850 Extreme 1gb

Average Framerate: 44.75
Max. Framerate: 73.90
Min. Framerate: 29.18

ATI 5850 Extreme 1gb crossfire

Average Framerate: 79.18
Max. Framerate: 135.05
Min. Framerate: 53.36

Overall, pretty pleased with the single card performance and the crossfire scaling. With a Q6600 a crossfire setup still generates good results - perfectly playable framerates at maximum settings at this resolution.

As you can see, the cards are being bottlenecked as the same cards tested on same game with a more powerful rig recorded much higher average and minimum rates:

Processor: Core i7 970 @ 4.33ghz
Cooling: Coolit Vantage
Motherboard: MSI X58A-GD65 (MS-7522)
Chassis: Thermaltake Level 10
Power Supply: Corsair Ax1200
Memory: 6GB GSkill Performance Gaming ram @ 902.9 MHz (2:10) @ 7-8-7-24
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V+ 512GB Gen 2 SSD (Storage) / Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB (OS boot)
Monitors: Dell 3011, Dell U2410 UltraSharp, Sanyo 50 inch LCD Television.

Min: 88
Average: 121

Settings: 1920×1200, D3D10, Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(8x), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High).

What this means is that these cards will happily survive a new build. For Just over £200 i'm really pleased - and they run cool and quiet.

Associate
Hey guys!

Well apparently I am getting a refund now. However, I posted a query on Tom's Hardware and this is what one guy posted;-

"So sorry to Add to this thread guys BUT I had the same trouble installing my ATI 5850 xtream. the computer would boot in to windows but there was no display just blackness . I have a deadecated ,Thermaltake 300w pcie Power Express power supply with only 2x 6 pin pcie leads this is used just for your graphics cards and with these conected it was just black .

So i pluged my old 8800gt and the display was fine . Then I tryed the 5850 again in my wifes computer which has a 4830 in it and it worked fine there ,so i know it wasnt the card .

This time I reinstaled the drivers to latest 11.4 and conected it to my normal power supply using the leads that came with it, the D plug converters and pluged them into the same line from my normal psu and it worked streight away. {it does say on the static bag must be pluged into your psu }
So may be there is some-thing about how it recives its power for this card ,as it would not work with a 300w dedcated pcie power supply made for pcie graphics cards only "

I no understando what are D plug converters and where can I get some? The card did come with it's own leads, maybe if I ordered another one I'd get a result but I don't know what these D-plug converters of which he speaks are. Help!!!!!!

Associate
The same guy has since posted that when he switched the rig on again after being off for the night, he had the same issue of no pictures. It does look as if there are power issues with this particular card, for some people, even if their PSU is fine (like mine is.)

Associate
Well have been looking long and hard at this card as an upgrade but was skeptical about the voltage issue, especially as Sapphire listed Trixx as compatible with this card.

Been trawling the net looking for info and this popped up. Seems Sapphire are aware of the issue and are working on a new version of Trixx.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showpost.php?p=55110825&postcount=80

Make of that what you will but if a new version of Trixx does pop up can people post back their experiences?

Associate
Well have been looking long and hard at this card as an upgrade but was skeptical about the voltage issue, especially as Sapphire listed Trixx as compatible with this card.

Been trawling the net looking for info and this popped up. Seems Sapphire are aware of the issue and are working on a new version of Trixx.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showpost.php?p=55110825&postcount=80

Make of that what you will but if a new version of Trixx does pop up can people post back their experiences?

The news I was waiting for! It's just not enough to push this card without voltmod. :D

Associate
I've seen this card elsewhere for £98 including VAT. I currently have a Gigabyte GTX 460 768MB edition. I'm tempted to sell my 460 and get one of these instead, do you think it's worth it? I can get around £80 for my 460 so it'll be a £20 cost for the upgrade. Only problem is that I have a 530W PSU which won't be enough for 5850 crossfire in the future.

Associate
I've seen this card elsewhere for £98 including VAT. I currently have a Gigabyte GTX 460 768MB edition. I'm tempted to sell my 460 and get one of these instead, do you think it's worth it? I can get around £80 for my 460 so it'll be a £20 cost for the upgrade. Only problem is that I have a 530W PSU which won't be enough for 5850 crossfire in the future.

For £20 then yeah I'd say go for it. You will need a higher Wattage PSU for crossfire, but I'm sure by the time you really need to crossfire, you can hopefully save up for one.

Eric's collar

E

Eric's collar

I'm on my phone so can't copy the link but search up on youtube "5850 extreme" and look for a video posted by hitechlegion. They have 2 videos on the card but the one you want to see is the one about overclocking with trixx. You can see the option to change volts is there.

Back
Top Bottom