• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official Sapphire Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 5850 Extreme Owners Thread**

Associate
fix mine turned out to be my psu starving the card have it running fine now at 830/1170 and it is such a fast card. way better than my 4850 really happy :D

Associate
OP
I ended up returning mine under DSR for a refund because the screen would just go completely green when watching a movie and then the card would disconnect itself leaving the screen completely blank and this was on default core/mem.

The card was running off a Corsair HX 650w PSU so power wasn't the issue and I have never had that happen with my HD 4850 or HD 5750.

Associate
Just got my 5850 today. runs cool and quiet. Happy with
it running fine but would've been really great if they hadn't blocked
the voltage oc.

Associate
Gaaaah! The darned thing STILL won't work. I tried it again, no video. I had my computer system builder guy over and he couldn't get it to work either. He even brought over another DVI cable just in case. We tried new cables and different PSU six pin slots, we tried different PCI-e slots. Nothing. There was power getting to the card because the fan was spinning, just no piccies.

In the opinion of my tech guy, the card really IS DOA, despite what OCUK testers say. We looked through the motherboard documentation and it is definitely an AMD/ATI friendly MOBO through and through. There is no reason to say there is an incompatibility issue and no hardware issue - he tested everything and watched the rig boot instantly, with glorious pictures, the moment we re-installed the old card.

Support are going to be getting another call. I want refunding for not only the price of the card and the postage, but also for the testing charge.

Associate
Gaaaah! The darned thing STILL won't work. I tried it again, no video. I had my computer system builder guy over and he couldn't get it to work either. He even brought over another DVI cable just in case. We tried new cables and different PSU six pin slots, we tried different PCI-e slots. Nothing. There was power getting to the card because the fan was spinning, just no piccies.

In the opinion of my tech guy, the card really IS DOA, despite what OCUK testers say. We looked through the motherboard documentation and it is definitely an AMD/ATI friendly MOBO through and through. There is no reason to say there is an incompatibility issue and no hardware issue - he tested everything and watched the rig boot instantly, with glorious pictures, the moment we re-installed the old card.

Support are going to be getting another call. I want refunding for not only the price of the card and the postage, but also for the testing charge.

Have you tried it in another pc?

Associate
No, I only have one PC, plus my gaming laptop My techie guy does not have any other PC's in at the moment that have the guts to run that card. But he doesn't think there would be any point because there is nothing wrong with my other hardware.

Looks like I have a hundred and odd quids worth of turkey. I am loathe to start buying new mobo and processor and rebuilding bit by bit, as I have no faith that the damned thing will work even then.

Associate
OK. I have finally decided to upgrade my HD 4870 512mb card and have bought (after much deliberation) 2 5850 Extremes to run in Crossfire.

Now [after ordering the cards!] I am worried that my CPU is not going to bottleneck the system too much:

Motherboard: DFI LANParty LT X48-T2R
CPU: Q6600 [G0] @ 3.4ghz
RAM: 8gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC
PSU: OCZ GameXStream Power 1010W
Case: Kandalf LCS [Liquid cooled CPU and Northbridge]
HDD: x2 Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache

My CPU is liquid cooled and stable @ 3.4ghz without too much voltage, so could try to go higher. I have Googled as much as possible and people seem to suggest it will bottleneck with some games, depending on how GPU dependent they are [some say massive bottleneck, others say not a huge issue]. However, it should still provide playable framerates @ 1920 by 1080 with most settings pretty high.

Am I right in thinking that the bottleneck would have an impact on the maximum framerates attainable, but might not impact too negatively on actual gameplay - i.e. should still maintain respectable average and minimal FPS?

I will max out Far Cry 2 with my current system and record FPS etc and then repeat with same settings with 1 x 5850 and then in crossfire - might be useful for others still on socket 775 to see the results.

I know that the i5 2500k is exceptional value at the moment, but that also means new motherboard, RAM and possibly waterblock depending on the motherboard. I could do with avoiding that expense to be honest, but if it makes a massive difference then I will sell some stuff to make it happen in the next month or so.

Apologies for the long [first] post, but any thoughts?

Associate
I feel your pain at the prospect of rebuild, but I am looking at having to do it. It'll have to be one part each payday until I have got the lot. What I would say is do not bank on the cards working with your set up, mine didn't and has gone back for refund.

Associate
Yes, you're right.

Whilst the 2500k seems to be an absolute bargain in terms of performance - unlocked CPU that can keep up (in terms of gaming) with the best of the very expensive i7s for just £160 - it soon adds up when you have to also replace a motherboard, ram and possibly cooling at the same time.

I can only hope that the old Q6600 and DFI Lanparty motherboard would do OK on Ebay - but that would still not nowhere near meet the cost of a new setup - nor the hassle of trying to get a 775 socket cooling block to sit nicely on a new socket motherboard.

Hmmm.

Anyway, results are in from my current test:

ATI 4870 512mb
Q6600 @ 3.4GHZ

Far Cry 2 [average of 3 loops]

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1920x1080 (60Hz), D3D9, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(8x), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

Average Framerate: 11.91
Max. Framerate: 26.90
Min. Framerate: 4.11

Hopefully the new cards can at least beat this!

Soldato
guys, have any of you experienced the problem where it gets stuck at 99%/100%?

it isnt actually doing anything, but it is idling at max and the temps build up?

that is the only issue i have had with it so far

Soldato
guys, have any of you experienced the problem where it gets stuck at 99%/100%?

it isnt actually doing anything, but it is idling at max and the temps build up?

that is the only issue i have had with it so far

Some infos:
This driver is not WHQL.
OpenGL is newer, Direct3D and 2D are the same (vs latest 11.4 pre)
This driver is not a part of the early catalyst preview 11.4 branch,(pre build: 8.840.x this build: 8.841) it will probably end newer and better than 11.4 WHQL.
We have some reference of this driver in HERE bottom of the page you can read: "ATI Catalyst™ 11.4 Update Driver (8.841)".
Nice boost in DirectCompute applications.
OpenCL version: OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4 (595.10) FULL_PROFILE
99% bug is FIXED.

Desktop Win 7/Vista | MiRROR
Desktop Xp | MiRROR
MobilityMod Win 7/Vista | MiRROR

Back
Top Bottom