*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Caporegime
I've just had the same experience trying to use it to play some music from a playlist on YouTube Music.
Only option I found is to just airplay to my one new generation play one. Which means I can only use one of my speakers. Utterly dreadful service from this company again. It took them years to get a semi useful app and now this. Hardware great software terrible. As time passes to replace my original play ones I will find another speaker system to use.

Soldato
Anyone have the outdoor speakers? Looking at getting a pair for a revamp of our backyard.
After some quick reading, it seems they need the amp to connect to the existing system. I can wire them in by looping form the existing lights out there, that’s ok. Not sure where I would put the amp though? Would rather it was hidden but not sure how I would do that.
If they do need the amp to connect to the system then could you not just get a non Sonos branded pair with a Sonos amp?

Caporegime
Anyone have the outdoor speakers? Looking at getting a pair for a revamp of our backyard.
After some quick reading, it seems they need the amp to connect to the existing system. I can wire them in by looping form the existing lights out there, that’s ok. Not sure where I would put the amp though? Would rather it was hidden but not sure how I would do that.
If they do need the amp to connect to the system then could you not just get a non Sonos branded pair with a Sonos amp?
The outdoor speakers are just standard passive speakers, they don't need power. You could use any brand in their place (even the Sonos ones aren't made by Sonos, but Sonance).

The Sonos Amp will need power and can't be kept outdoors, so you need long cable runs to the speakers.

Last edited:
Soldato
+1. Repeated issues with not being able to see my speakers, not linking speakers, linking the wrong way, and not being able to unlink speakers. I had no issues with the old app.
Apparently it took ‘courage’ from Sonos to upgrade the app, which is awful management speak for we can’t bring ourselves to apologise for this borked release that clearly isn’t ready for public beta oh and we would like to force you to use the system a specific way so umm sorry about those missing features lol

Soldato
I discovered another set of issues, not being able to select music on Youtube Premium, or when I did finally get a successful search, it refusing to play. I tried reauthenticating Youtube but made no difference.

Soldato
My biggest bug today not being able to stop music without closing and re-opening the app!
Just sounds to me like you lack courage......

Luckily with this debacle, so far I have got away fairly scot free as the Beam 2 and two One SLs as surrounds are really only used for TV source usage but I'm confident that they will be brave enough to eventually break this as well ;)

Soldato
I'm not sure whether it's related - to be honest I've always rarely used the app rather than just playing directly from Spotify. But I'm sure that when playing to a SONOS speaker via Spotify on my phone, using the phone volume controls would manage the speaker volume. That doesn't seem to be the case any more, so I do have to use the SONOS app to change volume.

Associate
Yes I can’t say I’m in a massive rush to get anything else Sonos in the house-maybe an upgrade to the Arc? But even then-our Beam 2 along with the surrounds and Sub pack a pretty mean punch so happy to ride it out for the time being.

Soldato
I'm not sure whether it's related - to be honest I've always rarely used the app rather than just playing directly from Spotify. But I'm sure that when playing to a SONOS speaker via Spotify on my phone, using the phone volume controls would manage the speaker volume. That doesn't seem to be the case any more, so I do have to use the SONOS app to change volume.
I think they have broken that as well as I'm sure it previously worked on my phone that way and doesn't now!

Back
Top Bottom