*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Man of Honour
It'd be nice to know, as otherwise that's a huge selling point to the unknowing, ie not putting the crossover back when the sub is still part of the system. People will go zomg have you heard that and immediately buy.
I've tested today in my lounge (2x play 5 plus sub) and when the sub is toggled off under room settings - lounge - advanced audio it does send the bass back to the play 5s. I can tell because if I turn the sub on but its level right down, there's no bass at all.

Same experience before the system readjusts when I switch the sub off at the socket.

The Play 5s actually hit the low notes on Pendulum's Showdown track on their own too! But not with the same impact as the sub....

I also find Trueplay reduces the bass as my play 5s are on the floor in corners, so I manually turn up the level in the sub settings sometimes.

I think for the play 1/3 the sub is handy to add depth, and it helps the 5 at higher volumes. But with the Playbar it's to add some fun to movies and let the Playbar be a good centre speaker.

The Sonos system as a whole isn't as good as my separates system (which isn't special, B&W 600 series front/centre/rear speakers, cheap Onkyo amp and an old REL sub), but it's darn close, wife-friendly and awesome for parties! Which is why that system is relegated to another room in stereo form only :( (but with a Sonos connect!)

Man of Honour
Yeah that's why I don't think I'll bother, I have Monitor Audio Gold 5.1 AV in my living room with a hefty amp, so having the sub in the bedroom is a waste of money for rumpy pumpy music and the occasional Netflix.

Soldato
I have just sent back my Sonos Playbar as I thought it sounded very average at best. I was looking to replace my 5.1 setup with something smaller but tbh I think I'm just going to stick with the amp and speakers.

Soldato
I have just sent back my Sonos Playbar as I thought it sounded very average at best. I was looking to replace my 5.1 setup with something smaller but tbh I think I'm just going to stick with the amp and speakers.

I recently replaced my 3.1 system with a Yamaha YSP-2700 soundbar, it's pretty darn good. I doubt it can match separates but it certainly seems better than what I had. I doubt Im even getting the best out of it due to the shape of my room.
The Sonos playbar is quite poor for connections and features.

Soldato
I was thinking trying the 2700. I have read the reviews and it seems ok. Tbh I might even just get another Q media 4 as it does a good job with everything. I have also been looking at an Onkyo one which gets decent reviews.

The Sonos to me sounded no better than my freebie Samsung that came with the tv. I imagine it improves with the addition of the sub but for the price I expected better....

Soldato
I was thinking trying the 2700. I have read the reviews and it seems ok. Tbh I might even just get another Q media 4 as it does a good job with everything. I have also been looking at an Onkyo one which gets decent reviews.

The Sonos to me sounded no better than my freebie Samsung that came with the tv. I imagine it improves with the addition of the sub but for the price I expected better....

I do love separates but I wanted to have a simple all in one solution and get rid of all the wires and free up some space.
I love the fact that is has the 4K/HDR passthrough for when I get a 4K tv and ps4 pro or Xbox Scorpio.

Soldato

I find the Playbar sounds massively different depending on where/how you positioned it. In the new house I've moved it slightly higher up the wall and it sounds a LOT better. When I first got it I was massively disappointed with the sound tbh.

Soldato
I do love separates but I wanted to have a simple all in one solution and get rid of all the wires and free up some space.
I love the fact that is has the 4K/HDR passthrough for when I get a 4K tv and ps4 pro or Xbox Scorpio.

I'm pretty much doing the same. I like the amp and 5.1 but I'm nit using at as much anymore and only really listen to music at moderate levels.

Does the Yamaha do Apple AirPlay ?

Soldato
I find the Playbar sounds massively different depending on where/how you positioned it. In the new house I've moved it slightly higher up the wall and it sounds a LOT better. When I first got it I was massively disappointed with the sound tbh.

I did read that but sitting it on my tv unit under the tv which is wall mounted but quiet low is the only place it can really go for me.

Soldato
I'm pretty much doing the same. I like the amp and 5.1 but I'm nit using at as much anymore and only really listen to music at moderate levels.

Does the Yamaha do Apple AirPlay ?

Yes I think so, pretty sure it said Airplay on the speaker label before I pealed it off and everywhere suggests it does, and it has Spotify connect as well.

It also has Yamaha multicast which I think works in the same way as the Sonos system.

Can't comment on how it handles music though, as I use my play 1s for that. I bought it primarily for movies/gaming.

Don
Hi,

Can someone give me the measurements for the Playbar mounting holes at the back of it? (What's the distance between them?)

I'm thinking of getting one, but I'll have to slightly modify my TV stand to do it.

XYRCcFU.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom