*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
Picked up a Play 1 from John Lewis' for the kitchen as was suitably blown away - so much so that I now have five of them; one in the kitchen, two for the lounge with the Playbase and Sub, one for the bedroom and one for the study.

Massively impressed with the quality and ease of use, not so impressed with Sonos customer service. After initially saying they would honour the 15% off they backed out. Fortunately John Lewis' agree to do me a deal on the kit I wanted.

With regard to the Play 5... does the bass port make the difference? I'm wanting something harder-hitting for one room and the Play 1 doesn't quite cut it.

Soldato
Picked up a Play 1 from John Lewis' for the kitchen as was suitably blown away - so much so that I now have five of them; one in the kitchen, two for the lounge with the Playbase and Sub, one for the bedroom and one for the study.

Massively impressed with the quality and ease of use, not so impressed with Sonos customer service. After initially saying they would honour the 15% off they backed out. Fortunately John Lewis' agree to do me a deal on the kit I wanted.

With regard to the Play 5... does the bass port make the difference? I'm wanting something harder-hitting for one room and the Play 1 doesn't quite cut it.

Play 5 is, from memory, 3 high excursion woofers, that offer deep sound, but don’t hit very hard. But non of Sonos’ stuff does.

Essentially, yes it has much better bass (deeper and more of it), but it doesn’t hit hard.

Soldato
If you want hard hitting Sonos then you can either use the Sonos Connect or Connect Amp, the connect allows you to hook up to your own amp and speakers while the connect amp you can connect you own speakers, from memory it also has a sub out channel.

These also have inputs so you can feed into your Sonos from another source and play throughout your other Sonos devices :D

Soldato
To be fair to Sonos, the Play 1 I have in the kitchen has enough oomph to make my keys rattle if I pop them down next to it. Very impressive.

Play 5 over Play 3 sounds like the general consensus. JL might get a bit more money out of me yet...

Man of Honour
Play 5 is, from memory, 3 high excursion woofers, that offer deep sound, but don’t hit very hard. But non of Sonos’ stuff does.
I have 2 Play 5s with a sub and that room is quite impressive......even with the sub off it's good but at higher levels adding the sub helps clarity and depth.

I've got a smaller room with a Play 3 (didn't want 2 speakers) and sub and that's also pretty good....but I'd never get 2 Play 3s on their own. I'd get 2 Play 1s and a sub or for a bigger room 2 Play 5s, with a sub if you really like bass.

Soldato
I have 2 Play 5s with a sub and that room is quite impressive......even with the sub off it's good but at higher levels adding the sub helps clarity and depth.

I've got a smaller room with a Play 3 (didn't want 2 speakers) and sub and that's also pretty good....but I'd never get 2 Play 3s on their own. I'd get 2 Play 1s and a sub or for a bigger room 2 Play 5s, with a sub if you really like bass.

I’m personally running a playbar and sub in my front room, and while there is a significant amount of bass, it doesn’t hit hard, for kick drums and the like.

I am heavily considering going with a 2.1 system instead

Man of Honour
I’m personally running a playbar and sub in my front room, and while there is a significant amount of bass, it doesn’t hit hard, for kick drums and the like.

I am heavily considering going with a 2.1 system instead
I've got a Connect:amp too, and I briefly hooked up my little REL sub and moved it into the room with the 5s + sub. That was fun but didn't pass the wife test :D

Otherwise I'd suggest a Connect hooked up to a standard hifi system with a more grown up sub but it depends what level you're looking for. The 5s and sub certainly get noticed at parties!

Soldato
I've got a Connect:amp too, and I briefly hooked up my little REL sub and moved it into the room with the 5s + sub. That was fun but didn't pass the wife test :D

Otherwise I'd suggest a Connect hooked up to a standard hifi system with a more grown up sub but it depends what level you're looking for. The 5s and sub certainly get noticed at parties!

To be honest, it would be a cost reduction option too, especially with the price hike on Sonos, I got cracking deals on my stuff, and would most likely get as much, or maybe even a little more than what I paid for it.

Then again, I’m a real fan of the sound of B&W stuff. The 685s are, for me, a very pleasing sound. Paired with a half decent sub I’m sure it’d be a fantastic sound.

I looked at the monitor audio bronze series, but thought they sound quite harsh

Caporegime
20% discount code for you guys. Found it on another forum.

PJ10-3SD3DTQWVP

I believe it's a multi use US code good for 20% off which I assumed was to do with the birthday discount, but apparently it still works. It seems to be international as I used it the other day when I got my Sonos (in Canada, they arrived yesterday) and it appears to take off 20% the price on the UK Sonos website too. Presumably it's only for for Sonos online, rather than a rebate.

Obviously I have no idea where it originally came from or how long it will last, so "buyer beware"...

I presume this is ok to put on the forum, if not apologies!

Last edited:
Associate
So Sonos......

From reading the previous comments, it seems like if you're in the Sonos ecosystem pre-price hike, you're more than likely to stick with them, but if not - people aren't really recommending to buy their gear...

I'm very interested in hearing what they have to say regarding the Play 1's and Alexa integration tomorrow. If they have that, and keep Apple Music in as one of the streaming choices (wondering whether if the Alexa integration means that those specific speakers are Amazon only), then that could be the trigger for me to begin my journey into Sonosing the house.

Should I be looking elsewhere before I get hooked in?

Associate
So Sonos......

From reading the previous comments, it seems like if you're in the Sonos ecosystem pre-price hike, you're more than likely to stick with them, but if not - people aren't really recommending to buy their gear...

I'm very interested in hearing what they have to say regarding the Play 1's and Alexa integration tomorrow. If they have that, and keep Apple Music in as one of the streaming choices (wondering whether if the Alexa integration means that those specific speakers are Amazon only), then that could be the trigger for me to begin my journey into Sonosing the house.

Should I be looking elsewhere before I get hooked in?

The Play 1 paired is pretty damn good, the Playbar I felt was a little underwhelming but the girl likes how there minimal amount of clutter from it so we kept it.

I can't see them getting rid of AM tbh since you can already have rival music services on the system.

Soldato
For full multi room I would still recommend Sonos, the platform is very easy to use and setup.

If someone wanted a standalone wireless speaker then there are far cheaper alternatives, it really depends what someone is looking for.

Associate
The Play 1 paired is pretty damn good, the Playbar I felt was a little underwhelming but the girl likes how there minimal amount of clutter from it so we kept it.

I can't see them getting rid of AM tbh since you can already have rival music services on the system.

I don’t think they’ll get rid of AM in the regular ones, but the potential new one they might.

For full multi room I would still recommend Sonos, the platform is very easy to use and setup.

If someone wanted a standalone wireless speaker then there are far cheaper alternatives, it really depends what someone is looking for.

Well that would be the plan initially, to then build it up to the 5.1 combo.

Soldato
The Sonos equipment I have bought sounds exactly like what I expected and dare I say it, wanted it to - clear, punchy and with a nice wide tonal range. I liked the Play 1 I bought so much I got five more of them.

Go and see for yourself - it's the only way to be sure. Sonos currently offer a 100-day money back guarantee, so it's worth testing them out in the real world, using your music.

Soldato
I can't bring myself to get excited about voice control to me it's like 3D tv's and internet connected fridges a step to far down the technology for technologies sake route! Guess I'm getting old!

Back to sonos I still can't believe how good the speakers sound and how well they work yes they are pricey but offer a premium sound quality to match. The performance of the play 1 defies logic!

Soldato
Managed to get alexa and sonos 1 to play nice, but no spotify support yet. it will increase the volume and skip tracks (ironically on spotify)

Need to update the android app, the speakers, and link the accounts on the alexa app itself (its not made clear)

Back
Top Bottom