*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
I can't bring myself to get excited about voice control to me it's like 3D tv's and internet connected fridges a step to far down the technology for technologies sake route! Guess I'm getting old!

Back to sonos I still can't believe how good the speakers sound and how well they work yes they are pricey but offer a premium sound quality to match. The performance of the play 1 defies logic!

It's fantastic! Being able to say alexa play radio 1 in the kitchen..For example...maybe...

Or Alexa! Play some classical music in the office. And off she goes and finds a classical music station on amazon music and plays it in the office.

Soldato
Oh cool, so normal Alexa hardware is starting to get integration into the legacy Sonos hardware and networks?

Might be time for me to reconsider getting an Alexa Echo.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So to clarify this. The “updates” to existing Play:Ones are just so they work with the system if you have a new One, or an Echo, not so they work like a One and allow you to speak voice commands to the Play:Ones and them “hear” it?

Just bought two Play:Ones so tempted to take them up on their 100 day return policy and get the new Ones. I may not use the voice commands in the near future but it would be useful to have, although as we have one in our bathroom it may be quite nice to just be able to tell it stuff when in the shower.

Edit: just realised Trueplay only works directly with the Play 5 v2 not the 1 or original 5, so no microphone in them. I presume the microphone in the 5 v2 isn’t going to be powerful enough to be converted to an Alexa able one? Could be interesting if it was however.

Last edited:
Soldato
So to clarify this. The “updates” to existing Play:Ones are just so they work with the system if you have a new One, or an Echo, not so they work like a One and allow you to speak voice commands to the Play:Ones and them “hear” it?

Just bought two Play:Ones so tempted to take them up on their 100 day return policy and get the new Ones. I may not use the voice commands in the near future but it would be useful to have, although as we have one in our bathroom it may be quite nice to just be able to tell it stuff when in the shower.

Edit: just realised Trueplay only works directly with the Play 5 v2 not the 1 or original 5, so no microphone in them. I presume the microphone in the 5 v2 isn’t going to be powerful enough to be converted to an Alexa able one? Could be interesting if it was however.

No they were just really for trueplay. However I''ve converted my gen1 play5 by adding an Echo Dot to each one via a phono lead.

Associate
Hope someone can answer this as it could save me a lot of money!

I have a 2014 55” Samsung SDR UHD TV (HU6900) hooked up to a SamsungHW-J450 Soundbar via optical.

I’m interested in getting the new One first off with the intention of buying the rest of it (PlayBase/Sub) to get a 5.1 system set up in the living room.

However when I look at the sound settings with my current gear, everything bar PCM is greyed out.

Does this mean that my TV is incapable of doing 5.1?

My Sky Q setup looks similar to this:

297_EFCC7-6379-49_BF-_B9_A0-_EC7_A1_C3_EB9_AA.jpg

So I’m not sure what’s going on.

Obviously if I can’t then I might have to kabosh the whole idea.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Caporegime

Trueplay works using an iPhone microphone on all Sonos units. I don’t think it uses the Play 5 Gen 2’s built in microphone does it?

Caporegime
No they were just really for trueplay. However I''ve converted my gen1 play5 by adding an Echo Dot to each one via a phono lead.

I’m tempted to do that with my Play 5s as well. However if you’ve just ordered a Play:1 (for example the 15% off deal) nows the time to work out if it makes sense for you to return those and then order Ones in replacement for the same price (minus the 15% off).

If you ordered without the 15% off then it’s (should be?) a no brainer - return and get a One in a few weeks. That will be cheaper and nicer looking than attaching a dot to them. Hmmm.

I’m also intrigued to see how this all works out. Will they keep selling the Play:1, or is it being replaced entirely by the One? They’re the same price and size so unless it’s taken a hit in sound quality why would you ever buy a Play:1 instead of a One?

Trueplay works using an iPhone microphone on all Sonos units. I don’t think it uses the Play 5 Gen 2’s built in microphone does it?

You're right. It seems the microphones were removed from later batches of the gen2 as well, so perhaps they were initially meant to be for Trueplay then the design was changed to only remote devices.

Soldato
It's difficult. I'd love some Sonos One's, but for that price I can get two Echo v2's. Will be interesting to see the reviews for both.

I went from a Sonos Play 1 to 2x Echos and the sound quality of the Sonos was 10x better than the echo. The echo lacks a lot of bass in my opinion.

Soldato
Does anyone know whether the recent new stuff works with the older Sonos speakers?

My father has the older system which required the wireless bridge to work. If he bought a new Sonos One for example, would the system work together? Or does he need to replace the whole lot?

Soldato
Does anyone know whether the recent new stuff works with the older Sonos speakers?

My father has the older system which required the wireless bridge to work. If he bought a new Sonos One for example, would the system work together? Or does he need to replace the whole lot?
I believe all sonos equipment is compatible still they haven't orphaned anything yet.

Associate
Just got a playbar and sub for my 2nd TV, very happy indeed! Also have 3 x PLAY:3 in stereo in my study, SONOS:AMP hooked up to my Cyrus / PMC stereo system (this gets the most use) and a couple of PLAY:1's dotted around. Also have a PLAY:5 doing nothing :(

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

I have two Play:1s and a Play:3 in the house. Worked flawlessly for nearly two years in their current positions (living room, kitchen and spare room). I did the system update yesterday and noticed that the speakers are now dropping sound occasionally. Anyone else have this problem?

Back
Top Bottom