*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
All depends on what do you want. Do you want to buy over the odds for wireless and expensive system?

Or get gear which is wired and you'll get far better system? The Sonos sub is £700, for that you can buy a BK Monolith, 12", 500W. And have money left over.

Associate
The wireless would be nice but not a deal breaker.
I've just been looking at the sony dn1080 and the denon x2400h as I have about 1k to spend for a full set up.

Soldato
£1000 is pushing it for a decent 7.0 speaker system, amp and subwoofer.

AVR's are about £150-£350 for low to medium spec ones.
£300-£500 for subwoofer
£150-£300 for standmounts
£150-£300 for center
£100-£250 for rears
£100-£250 for sides

Plus cabling- HDMI, RCA, optical/coaxial, speaker cable
a universal remote control.

Associate
I got 3 play 1’s for Xmas with 2 in one room as a pair and seperate in the hallway. I’ve listened to more music in the house in the last 2 days than the previous 3 Year’s I’ve lived here.

I’ve always been a little indifferent when I have heard Sonos in my friends or in a shop but I’m a convert now! I’m convinced the sound is miles better than my Sony ht660 soundbar and Sub which being a larger well reviewed at the time setup should be better than a couple of little Play 1’s shouldn’t it?

Soldato
Funnily enough, I'm just about to sell my Play 1. I hate the whole Sonos Ecosystem. Doesn't work for me at all. Much prefer a proper system. But then I'll sacrifice the space / wires to have a proper system any day. My biggest problem with it really MUST be my fault more than Sonos though, surely? For the life of me, I simply cannot EASILY find the BBC podcasts I listen to. No BBC iplayer Radio integration. Thats the main issue. Tuneit app or whatever it is is fine for live radio listening. Not so great at searching for podcasts though. The other issue is I cant get the Sonos program to auto scan my music library on the PC, so I never have my latest music / podcasts available without forcing a library refresh.

After a year of playing with it, it's obvious this system isn't for me, and every time I try to use it, it simply infuriates me. So off it goes. And I wont be in the slightest bit upset about it.

Caporegime
Tomorrow I was going to upgrade my sony soundbar (htc790 i think) to a sonos with intentions to buy the sub at a later date but I'm now wondering if its worth buying a decent 2.1 or 5.1 instead?

Sonos only really makes sense if you’re going to use its multi room abilities around the house.

As a stand alone home cinema system it’s benefits (less wires) pale with the compromises (only a single optical input, doesn’t support DTS or any hires formats, better performance available for cheaper).

Soldato
I got a Connect for Christmas which is great. I've currently got a Play1 in the kitchen and a Play1 upstairs in the Mrs' Craft Room, so I can get a few more and listen to vinyls all over. Gonna get an outdoor speaker for BBQs etc so now that can be connected too.

The play1s are a little over bass-y as all commercial products seem to be these days (Beats etc), but it's certainly better than having a hifi in every room!

Associate
Sonos only really makes sense if you’re going to use its multi room abilities around the house.

As a stand alone home cinema system it’s benefits (less wires) pale with the compromises (only a single optical input, doesn’t support DTS or any hires formats, better performance available for cheaper).
I went for a denon x2400h in the end with monitor audio bronze 5.1 set. Still dont understand why my post was merged in to this thread but nevermind :)

Soldato
Funnily enough, I'm just about to sell my Play 1. I hate the whole Sonos Ecosystem. Doesn't work for me at all. Much prefer a proper system. But then I'll sacrifice the space / wires to have a proper system any day. My biggest problem with it really MUST be my fault more than Sonos though, surely? For the life of me, I simply cannot EASILY find the BBC podcasts I listen to. No BBC iplayer Radio integration. Thats the main issue. Tuneit app or whatever it is is fine for live radio listening. Not so great at searching for podcasts though. The other issue is I cant get the Sonos program to auto scan my music library on the PC, so I never have my latest music / podcasts available without forcing a library refresh.

After a year of playing with it, it's obvious this system isn't for me, and every time I try to use it, it simply infuriates me. So off it goes. And I wont be in the slightest bit upset about it.
Odd my library rescans fine every night do you turn the pc off or something?

Associate
Play 5 gen 2 randomly stopped working over wifi yesterday. Sonos asked me to run diagnostics and then connect it to ethernet. Turns out it works fine via ethernet and they've said it's a faulty wifi card so they're organisng an RMA. When I purchased it from Richer Sounds they were doing a 6yr warranty so I'll call them tomorrow and see if Sonos replace the speaker will my warranty be carried over on the new one.
Surprising how much I miss it when it's not there.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Handy tip. I bought the playbase the other day and I wasn't convinced I was getting 5.1. go into settings and then about and it will say whether it's stereo, Dolby digital 2.0 or Dolby digital 5.1.

I was getting stereo on one of my devices so changed the output and it was 5.1. Sounds way better .

Man of Honour
Handy tip. I bought the playbase the other day and I wasn't convinced I was getting 5.1. go into settings and then about and it will say whether it's stereo, Dolby digital 2.0 or Dolby digital 5.1.

I was getting stereo on one of my devices so changed the output and it was 5.1. Sounds way better .
Cheers. I've been doing lots of reading regarding getting 5.1 to work, so will bear this in mind.

Back
Top Bottom