*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Man of Honour
Finally got my refund from Sonos then paid the £699 fee for the advanced replacement which arrived yesterday. Odd as although I hadn't sent mine back, they took the £199 charge and released the rest. Nevertheless, dropped mine off with DHL yesterday and I've got the new one set up and no high pitched squeal thankfully! My old one also had a few marks on the front and the new one is refurbished, so like new as you'd expect which is a nice bonus. Need to email John Lewis to get 50% refunded now.

Did the Playbar have an update at all? It's physically the same however the box is different, colours on it are Orange instead of Green like my old one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone tried running the Playbar with two play 1's but no sub.

Currently have the playbar in the lounge and recently got a play 3 to replace a play 1. So now I have a spare play 1 sitting around that I could either put up stairs (but won't get much use), or I could purchase an additional play 1 and then use them as rear speakers in the lounge. Can't afford the sub at the moment, so that is out of the question, but don't want to waste another £180 if it won't make much difference.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
That's the setup I run in my bedroom. Bass can be lacking at times but it's by no means poor. I'd like to add a sub but they're simply too much money for me to justify.

Soldato
That's the setup I run in my bedroom. Bass can be lacking at times but it's by no means poor. I'd like to add a sub but they're simply too much money for me to justify.

But would you say it's worth the extra £180? Hopefully a deal may come out Friday, but I need to make the decision of do I buy that, or get an additional Blink camera haha :p

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Anyone using the Playbase? I'm torn between either getting the playbase or playbar (which might look silly in my lounge as my TV is only 40") or just going for the cheaper option with the Sky Soundbox by Devialet. Trying to justify twice the price on the playbase, I have 2 x Play1 in the lounge which I could re-purpose, too.

Soldato
Anyone using the Playbase? I'm torn between either getting the playbase or playbar (which might look silly in my lounge as my TV is only 40") or just going for the cheaper option with the Sky Soundbox by Devialet. Trying to justify twice the price on the playbase, I have 2 x Play1 in the lounge which I could re-purpose, too.

Pretty much identical in sound quality "apparently" although the playbase has 10 speakers as has the extra woofer which the playbar doesn't, but it's not meant to be noticeable due to the playbar being larger and getting more sound into the room. So I would say it comes down to more personal preference. Think more future proof, do you ever plan to wall mount a TV in the future, as I don't think the playbase can be wall mounted, so you are stuck with it under the tv if you go with it. Playbar only comes in black, where the playbase comes in white, so which fits with your theme?

My personal preference would be the playbar, as you have the option to stand it in two positions, or wall mount it above or below a tv. I've also read that although the sound quality is pretty much on par, the playbar has the slight edge due to it being bigger and getting sound more wide spread into the room.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Ah, cheers buddy. I'd say for the next few years won't be wall mounting (only place is above the fire, too high and too hot). I suppose by then things may have moved on too. Decisions decisions.

Soldato
Ah, cheers buddy. I'd say for the next few years won't be wall mounting (only place is above the fire, too high and too hot). I suppose by then things may have moved on too. Decisions decisions.

Russian roulette, which ever gets the best deal on Friday :p

Soldato
I have two of the new Amazon Echos that I got for £150 on a launch day special. However, I still haven't taken one of them out of the box (was going in the bedroom). As we spend a fair amount of time in the kitchen I was thinking of selling one, sending the other back, and then buying a Play:1 (with my Echo dot) or Sonos One. It's pain having to use two plugs for the Dot + Play:1.

Does anyone have the Sonos One? How are the microphones? Not really sure if it is worth spending £200 on something when I can get two Echo's for £150! Sound quality is important, but is it really that noticeable?

Man of Honour
Sound quality is vastly better on the Play One. I've got two dots now that I use to do the Alexa bit, as I already had the old Ones.

Soldato
Sound quality is vastly better on the Play One. I've got two dots now that I use to do the Alexa bit, as I already had the old Ones.

So do you need to use two plugs? One for the dot and one for the Play 1? I saw the Play 1 on sale for £150 today. Part of me thinks it would be better just to pay the extra £50 can get the Sonos One, then sell the dot for £20...

Man of Honour
Yes, both the speaker and the dot need power. I got my first dot for £25 and put it in the kitchen with a Play 5. Second is in the bedroom with a Playbar and two Ones.

Soldato
Ended up buying another play one and two Sanus WSS2-B1 stands so will get the 5.0 setup tomorrow. Will see how I go with that and maybe add the sub one day. :)

Soldato
Quick question, does anyone know the best placement for the rear speakers? I can’t get them directly behind sofa, but have them in the corner of the room at moment. Should I have them facing each other or angled? I can take a picture if easier. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom