*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Personally that doesn't bother me as most of my files are almost exclusively encoded AC3. I was commenting yesterday that it's just nice to have something simple that works without any fiddling.

Soldato
Admittedly I haven't looked into it at all, but is there anyway to use 2 x Sonos 1's as an alternative to a TV soundbar? I would rather spend my money adding to our existing Sonos network, than a single use soundbar!

Man of Honour
I wish I’d have tested this sooner, ie, before arranging someone to view and potentially buy my amps and MA gear. I took my Sonos Playbar from the bedroom, two spare Play 1’s I have and connected it all up to my TV in the living room.

First of all I grouped the Sonos Connect (connected to my HiFi amp and G300 speakers) with the PlayBar and Play 1’s. I then played a few songs and I really don’t know why, but I was shocked at how poor the Playbar sounded in comparison. True play did improve things, but there was still no match for the stereo setup of some very expensive speakers combined with an amp which cost nearly twice as much as the PlayBar itself.

Then I pulled the Fire TV HDMI cable from the amp and plugged it into the TV and experimented with Plex, Amazon TV, Netflix etc. I usually play my Plex stuff off my Shield as it supports DTS HD pass through. I used a tip earlier in this thread for detecting 5.1 and although I got it to work on some stuff, it proved problematic on others. That said, even my Mrs said things sounded ‘odd’ when playing through Sonos. I tried a few different settings but ultimately was never happy with it so I’ve decided that I’m going to keep my AV gear.

No doubt if I had a smaller living room it may have been better and granted, I don’t have a Sub to test with, but I didn’t expect such a drastic difference in sound quality and it’s made me appreciate what it is that I have. I’m not sure why I’m so surprised, I’m comparing a £1300 setup to one costing much, much more.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yea, it's horses for courses. I had the "benefit" of having to make do with the internal speakers of my TV for the past six months so anything is an improvement! Shame to hear about the playback issues not quite working but as you say, if you can keep your existing kit why not!

Man of Honour
They seem to hold their value pretty well, I'd probably say around the £800 or so region if in good condition. Less if out of warranty.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
What stands are people using for their play1s? Mine are currently down behind the sofa which isn't ideal. Want to get them mounted.

Happy with either wall or standmount. I guess stands would be more flexible.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Indeed ... so pleased. I also have to say how pleased I am with the playbase. I've had it a month now and I'm very impressed. I matched it was my two Sonos Play 1s and to be honest it sounds great even without the sub. For anyone who's interested, I wanted to run all my devices directly to it instead of via the TV as my TV only outputs 2.0 via optical. I bought a cheap HDMI switch with Optical splitter and it outputs just fine.

I watched a few films which it has stripped out and plays back in 5.1 (by going into the sonos app settings > about my system) and F1 in 5.1 was pretty damn good too.

Soldato
I recently jumped on the Sonos bandwagon, I have got a stereo pair of Ones in my kitchen and living room and I love them.

I need a soundbar for my TV, but the Sonos one seems hugely overpriced for how old it is and the lack of connections it has. So I may just pickup something cheap for now and wait and see if they release a new one.

I'd like to get the soundbar and sub, then use the 2 ones elsewhere in the house as I am not bothered with a 5.1 setup.

Caporegime
The Soundbar is underwhelming and the Soundbase is frankly embarrassing (same tech released years later).

As much as I like my Sonos gear I’d just buy a separate standalone soundbar.

Back
Top Bottom