*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
not from the same app or device.

but from multiple devices yes.

as in 3 different phones can play 3 different songs across 3 different speakers.
Ah. I can do it from one device which for us is far more convenient. I can also walk out the house and it doesn’t impact the playback as it’s not streaming from the device.

Works much better for us than having to stream from devices to speakers.

Caporegime
Ah. I can do it from one device which for us is far more convenient. I can also walk out the house and it doesn’t impact the playback as it’s not streaming from the device.

Works much better for us than having to stream from devices to speakers.

I don't see why you one person would want 2 different songs playing in 2 different rooms.

So I don't see why the 1 device is a sticky point tbh.

As in if i want to listen to a song in kitchen i use my phone or tablet. Wife wants to listen to a song upstairs she uses her phone/tablet.

In your scenario it's like me listening to music in the kitchen using the phone. And then the wife telling me what songs she wants to listen to upstairs and i then put them on for her. Seems a weird way of doing it in my head.

Soldato
Airplay/chromecast are not streaming from the device, too, they do just tell the client/speaker where to take the (m3u etc) stream from, which is then autonomous;
you can have multiple browser tabs, on one device, that cast different music to different clients.

Soldato
not from the same app or device.

but from multiple devices yes.

as in 3 different phones can play 3 different songs across 3 different speakers.
There you go you've lost the convenience instantly, Sonos is brilliant for multiroom I love how it is a simple click to take the music with me from one room to the next seamlessly as I move round the house or how I can easily start a different song in another room for the kids etc yes there are rivals but none do multi room as well as Sonos at this point in time.

I will be very surprised if they are dead in five years, there history of growth even in difficult financial times is very very impressive the worst that will happen is someone will buy the brand it would be an amazing fit for any of the big 2/3 companies in this area.

Caporegime
There you go you've lost the convenience instantly, Sonos is brilliant for multiroom I love how it is a simple click to take the music with me from one room to the next seamlessly as I move round the house or how I can easily start a different song in another room for the kids etc yes there are rivals but none do multi room as well as Sonos at this point in time.

I will be very surprised if they are dead in five years, there history of growth even in difficult financial times is very very impressive the worst that will happen is someone will buy the brand it would be an amazing fit for any of the big 2/3 companies in this area.

I can also go room to room.

The only sticking point is playing 2 different songs in 2 different rooms or devices from the same device.

As I said before I cannot see any need for that feature.

Kids can choose their own music off a tablet

Soldato
Fair enough but I don't see the need of adding a lamp into the mix to further complicate it. If the lamp fails then your down £200 as opposed to £20.

Not getting the lamp. Just the bookshelf ones. I'd actually like the lamp in the bedroom but she thinks it's ugly.

the ikea symfonisks are £100

And for £100 they're really decent. My friend has two of them linked to his beam and it sounds pretty decent all things considered. I know we could probably get something better for less but we are both lazy!

Soldato
so you wouldn't be leaving him unsupervised when awake. therefore again I don't see how you would be in another room playing music and then also playing music for your child in another.

i just don't see the need to do it from 1 device ever.
lol the idea that a 2 year old is never in a room unsupervised for even a minute, but all this is irelevant Sonos has built it's success on being user friendly, decent quality and just working for everyone and they have done it brilliantly the companies growth figures are truly impressive right through the last economic contraction. There is a group of people who will always single out missing codecs/features as a reason not to buy but the vast majority of people don't care they just want decent sound at the touch of a button in an attractive package and thats what sonos delivers. Nobody else has as yet got close to them in the multi-room market only time will tell if the likes of Yamaha can maintain any presence or google and Amazon can dethrone them with cheaper smart speakers it feels to me very much like apple v's android, iOS/apple always lags behind but still commands a huge market share and a massive price premium.

Soldato
I don't see why you one person would want 2 different songs playing in 2 different rooms.

So I don't see why the 1 device is a sticky point tbh.

As in if i want to listen to a song in kitchen i use my phone or tablet. Wife wants to listen to a song upstairs she uses her phone/tablet.

In your scenario it's like me listening to music in the kitchen using the phone. And then the wife telling me what songs she wants to listen to upstairs and i then put them on for her. Seems a weird way of doing it in my head.
Kids. We have one Spotify account and can play music to put the kids to bed, whatever I want to listen to and whatever the wife wants to listen to from one account. Nothing else can do that. Granted, a family Spotify account would solve that, but we already have the kit and streaming directly from devices to speakers seems so archaic to me.

Different use case to you I guess.

Caporegime
lol the idea that a 2 year old is never in a room unsupervised for even a minute, but all this is irelevant Sonos has built it's success on being user friendly, decent quality and just working for everyone and they have done it brilliantly the companies growth figures are truly impressive right through the last economic contraction. There is a group of people who will always single out missing codecs/features as a reason not to buy but the vast majority of people don't care they just want decent sound at the touch of a button in an attractive package and thats what sonos delivers. Nobody else has as yet got close to them in the multi-room market only time will tell if the likes of Yamaha can maintain any presence or google and Amazon can dethrone them with cheaper smart speakers it feels to me very much like apple v's android, iOS/apple always lags behind but still commands a huge market share and a massive price premium.

point is if i was with a 2 year old and using my system and i left the room for 5 minutes. music would still continue to play. the point i'm making is you wouldn't leave a 2 year old in 1 room then go into another and start playing our own music and then leave them unsupervised for hours on end listening to their own music. neither would you leave them to go listen to your own music. as a 2 year old requires not constant but as good as supervision.

Kids. We have one Spotify account and can play music to put the kids to bed, whatever I want to listen to and whatever the wife wants to listen to from one account. Nothing else can do that. Granted, a family Spotify account would solve that, but we already have the kit and streaming directly from devices to speakers seems so archaic to me.

Different use case to you I guess.

it doesn't stream from device to speakers with google. the speakers are connected to the internet and stream directly. again the only feature i am missing is doing 2 rooms with 2 different songs at the same time from the same device. a use case i would never encounter.

Soldato
point is if i was with a 2 year old and using my system and i left the room for 5 minutes. music would still continue to play. the point i'm making is you wouldn't leave a 2 year old in 1 room then go into another and start playing our own music and then leave them unsupervised for hours on end listening to their own music. neither would you leave them to go listen to your own music. as a 2 year old requires not constant but as good as supervision.

it doesn't stream from device to speakers with google. the speakers are connected to the internet and stream directly. again the only feature i am missing is doing 2 rooms with 2 different songs at the same time from the same device. a use case i would never encounter.

I can do that,not that I have a family but easily required ie I am downstairs in main system.and a child would be upstairs on their headphones. Both listening to different tracks. Requires two streamers.

Soldato

This is getting weird all I’m saying is that I will often put one piece of music on for my kids (5&2) in one room then put something else on in the other room for me, for example if I’m getting dinner ready.

I’m not saying Sonos is the greatest thing in the world but it is a lifestyle music system that simply works for ordinary every day people it might not be the best solution for you and you might not like it but it is ridiculously successful for a reason.

Soldato
but the vast majority of people don't care they just want decent sound at the touch of a button
unless their market analysis is wrong the voice control mechanisms would suggest people have other priorities, SMART/AI is horribly pervasive(tv's ....).;
the cost of the physical hardware might be low, for that, but the R&D resources for hardware design and software support, not so much,
not sure how much is licensed from google et al ?

the patent case may still be divisive ... but some say Sonos is just trying it on.... and their is an obvious aspect to some of the patents that won't stand up to study.
GOOGLE’S INFRINGEMENT 14. In 2015, a decade after Sonos’s first product launch, Google released its “Chromecast Audio” – an audio adapter/dongle that can turn a speaker with an auxiliary port into a wireless, networked speaker. While the Chromecast Audio product did not launch with Sonos’s patented multi-room audio functionality, Google clearly understood the importance of this popular audio feature as it released a multi-room audio software update only a couple of months after launch. See Ex. 19 (2015 The Guardian: “Google is also working on multi-room audio streaming using the Chromecast Audio, but it will not support the popular feature out of the box.”).
16. As observed in a 2015 Variety article entitled “Google’s Chromecast Audio Adapter Gets Multi-Room Support Similar to Sonos,” Google’s updated Chromecast Audio was considered a “major” advancement for Google and was recognized as competing directly with Sonos because of its similar multi-room capability:
interesting how online review sites are quoted as evidence. ... can't see what hifi quotes.

Soldato
Just switched to a Sonos setup for home theatre use 99% of the time. Went with a beam, and 2x Ones for rears on some Sanus stands.

didn’t really have the option of amp + speakers as wiring would be too much trouble in existing room. This was so easy and tidy.

Anyhow a little disappointed in the beam, my old Tannoy base station was better / but was a lot bigger but also a lot cheaper.

the voice control is brilliant, works well with my Samsung TV and Xbox one.

just wanted to ask about the sub, worth the money? Is something I would like to add further along the line just can’t afford it at moment.
Any other options regarding sub or strictly only Sonos sub will work?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom