*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
BBC Radio is still available via tunein on Sonos the BBC who decide what is on tunein haven't found an alternative way to get radio streams to Sonos so haven't killed it yet (don't try using Voice Commands though as the BBC did ruin that).

Can you not use the BBC Sounds app with Sonos? I suppose if not, you can still use BBC Sounds via Airplay2 from Apple devices (which is one of my considerations for moving to Sonos).

Soldato
BBC counds app doesn't work with Sonos you are limited to airplay or just accessing it via tunein from the sonos controller app the only thing that did work that now doesn't is voice control which is annoying as you get used to it but this is all the BBC's fault and nothing to do with Sonos the BBC chose to pull it's services from tunein and force the awful BBC sounds app on us all so it can track and sell data.

Associate
BBC Radio is still available via tunein on Sonos the BBC who decide what is on tunein haven't found an alternative way to get radio streams to Sonos so haven't killed it yet (don't try using Voice Commands though as the BBC did ruin that). Sonos really is a convenience product so for a user like yourself who clearly has some particular network requirements and enjoys high res music then it is a pretty bad fit.

The real question I guess in the current circumstances is which other mainstream multi room audio system is going to give you a longer life time that Sonos on it's products none of the other big players have managed even as long as Sonos (Yes I know someone will come and push squeezebox but it's hardly mainstream). It will be interesting to see how long Google and Amazon keep updating older generation smart speakers for before they ditch them from support although obviously they have a different set of drivers being primarily interested in your data and selling other services to you not selling hardware.

I read these
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/37e4e3f6-fbd2-4c14-8d72-7f7139641582
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/supported-devices/sonos-airplay

I didn't realise you could still get BBC radio. In any case, like you say, Sonos doesn't really fit my requirements for a variety of other reasons.

Airplay and Cast will hopefully be supported for a while yet, my thinking is stick to those and you should be good for a while. Nothing is "future proof" (I hate the phrase) in terms of tech. Fairplay to Sonos for keeping the support going as long as it could for the olders stuff. I would be more gutted if I owned something that was effected, or even worse had only bought one of the "legacy" products new very recently.

Dave

Associate
That's good, I was reading a lot of the grumblings in the comments on various items of news and people seemed to be implying that they had only bought some of these products in the last year or so that have been discontinued.

Dave

Man of Honour
Another consideration is the second hand value impact of the speakers which they won't update. I bet my Connect is worth about £20 now.

Soldato
This news is a bit gutting. We don't own any Sonos stuff but we we're ready to get the beam, 2 x Play 1s and 2 of the IKEA speakers. Massively put off now.

I feel for those who have spent thousands on it.

Soldato
You've not been able to buy the old Play 5 for ~ 4 or 5 years, so I don't think that's an issue.
Which is a terrible shelf life in the world of audio kit but something we need to get used to I guess now everything is going smart, I would like to see companies forced to maintain products for an extended period following discontinuation a bit like boiler companies have to make spare parts for another ten years. If Sonos were discontinuing support for a product that hadn't been in the shops for a decade I would have more sympathy for the position.

Caporegime
They don't even need to maintain the product, just leave them with a legacy firmware that allows them to function within the Sonos environment but without any feature updates. All it has to do is receive an audio stream, it's not very complicated.

Needing to junk your old gear so your newer bits of kit can continue to be supported sounds far more like planned obsolescence rather than a technical limitation. The original Play:5 was on sale only 5 years ago, to only get a few years life if you buy at the wrong time is going to cripple sales rather than boost them.

Associate
Right, something has happened to the Beam overnight and I’m not getting any audio from my Beam when playing 5.1 content.

The surrounds work as sound is coming out of them but in terms of speech from the center, nothing.

I did a refund of Trueplay, but the problem still remains?

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Soldato
They don't even need to maintain the product, just leave them with a legacy firmware that allows them to function within the Sonos environment but without any feature updates. All it has to do is receive an audio stream, it's not very complicated.

Needing to junk your old gear so your newer bits of kit can continue to be supported sounds far more like planned obsolescence rather than a technical limitation. The original Play:5 was on sale only 5 years ago, to only get a few years life if you buy at the wrong time is going to cripple sales rather than boost them.
Totally agree, they need a re-think!

Soldato
"As long as possible" Is rather vague.

Also:

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

Do they mean that legacy and modern will not be able to be used together?

It all seems to be your usual empty company statement.

Soldato
It's not very clear or substantial. Have to wait it out on this one I think.

Splitting to separate systems makes little sense.
the devil will be in the detail as always and they clearly don't have any yet! That letter from the CEO is a bit of a panic response aimed at pouring water on the fire but they don't have the detail to back it up yet. I would be happy with the split groups provided you could still stream music between the two but only the newer stuff supported any new features it really can't be that hard for them to let a new speaker send a stream to an old device!

Soldato
the devil will be in the detail as always and they clearly don't have any yet! That letter from the CEO is a bit of a panic response aimed at pouring water on the fire but they don't have the detail to back it up yet. I would be happy with the split groups provided you could still stream music between the two but only the newer stuff supported any new features it really can't be that hard for them to let a new speaker send a stream to an old device!

Exactly, they are all working together now :D

Back
Top Bottom