*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Associate
Managed to get a couple play 1's for my birthday present off the Mrs. Arrived today, but birthday isn't till another 10 days! Will have to put up with these teasing for a wee while longer. Quite excited though, it's my first dip into sonos.

Your in for a treat as pairing them up as stereo is quite excellent do you still get 12 months deezer with a new set?

If your going for a streaming solution i would use Spotify or apple music

amazon is OK if you have prime along with it but most of the new tracks are not present.

Associate
Your in for a treat as pairing them up as stereo is quite excellent do you still get 12 months deezer with a new set?

If your going for a streaming solution i would use Spotify or apple music

amazon is OK if you have prime along with it but most of the new tracks are not present.

Aye it's fine, I'm a long term Spotify user and I've got prime. I'll need to get the playlists at the ready!

Soldato
OP
Just a heads up for anyone using the UniFi (Ubnt) wireless network APs / UAP things (possibly other similar setups as well)

While I love my UniFi kit I was having a problem with my Sonos. After kitting out the upstairs my Sonos controller on my phone was only picking up 3 out of 6 when I was downstairs, then the other three when I was upstairs.

Now you can probably guess what was happening already but the above is a very simplified explanation of months of the controller not picking up any Sonos devices or 4, or 5 - it all appeared to be very random.

Anyway, what was happening is that the controller was only showing the Sonos devices connected so the same AP. Despite the fact that every other aspect of my network working (I can even carry a Skype call between the two APs) the Sonos devices were obviously can't communicate with the controller on a different AP for some reason. It didn't help that they kept changing which AP they were connected to every so often (with the other half turning them off/on, power cuts or me turning the power in the house on/off as we do some renovations).

So yeah, while a Google around suggests other people are having the same problems and have modified some of the UniFi AP settings to no avail the quickest way I found to resolve this has simply been to use the Sonos mesh.

Now I've got enough devices the mesh works across the whole home (large house is part of the reason I needed the UniFi kit in the first place!) and to set it up it's as simple as taking the existing Sonos setup (on WiFi) and plugging one of the devices into Ethernet. It then automatically creates the mesh.

For good measure I blocked them on the UniFi AP's as well so they couldn't fall back to WiFi so I'll know if the mesh setup breaks rather than it causing confusion - but I have to say it's night and day.

Previously the other half thought the Sonos was becoming a massive pain in the ass, and begrudged the app not letting her stop or start it (randomly) but now it works flawlessly and she's admitted that she likes it now!

So yeah, thought I'd post this in the off chance someone else is having similar trouble. If you're having any trouble with devices appearing on the controller, set up the Sonos Mesh by plugging one of your speakers into WiFi and don't look back.

Man of Honour
Good post as I have that AP. Although I have no plans to at the minute, I may end up getting a second in the future. My Sonos Connect is connected via wifi so I assume they have a mesh set up. Is there a way to check?

Soldato
OP
Good post as I have that AP. Although I have no plans to at the minute, I may end up getting a second in the future. My Sonos Connect is connected via wifi so I assume they have a mesh set up. Is there a way to check?

If they're connected with WiFi then they're NOT using the Sonos Mesh (I see now it's called SonosNet - anyway, same thing).

It's been explained a number of times but there's two setups you can do with the Sonos.

WiFi and SonosNet.

To use WiFi every single Sonos device is connected via WiFi.

To use the "SonosNet" you connect ONE device via Ethernet to your network and then the Sonos devices themselves create their own WiFi mesh network (SonosNet) that the other devices connect to.

To confirm this if you follow these instructions to see the information "About My Sonos System" you will see a entry labled "WM:0" or "WM:1".
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2626#var_2

If it says WM:1 then you're using your home WiFi.

If it says WM:0 then you're using the SonosNet.

If you do get a second AP, or just want to change from WiFi to SonosNet before that, then all you need to do is plug in an Ethernet cable to any device and it will automatically swap over. From the UniFi controller page you will see the Sonos devices drop off and from the Sonos controller on your phone you'll see the "WM" information change from "1" to "0".

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/kw/sonosnet

Can I switch my system from a Standard Setup to a BOOST Setup?

Yes. If you experience frequent dropouts or audio interruptions on one or more Sonos product, you can switch your system from a Standard Setup to a BOOST Setup by simply wiring any of your Sonos products to your router, and your system will switch over automatically. You will need to keep one of your Sonos products wired to your router permanently in this configuration.

Last edited:
Associate
Any word on amazon echo integration? Kinda feel like we will use it more telling the thing to play ODB i got ya money in the living (a good way to make her swear) or kitchen etc

Soldato
Any word on amazon echo integration? Kinda feel like we will use it more telling the thing to play ODB i got ya money in the living (a good way to make her swear) or kitchen etc

Taken from the Amazon echo dot page:
Connects to speakers or headphones through Bluetooth or 3.5 mm stereo cable to play music from Prime Music, Spotify and TuneIn

The PLAY:5 has a 3.5mm line-in I believe, so would this not work?

Man of Honour
How is it connected and do you have any bother from the lack of DTS handling? I have spare Play:1's already and am so tempted to get a Playbar but it looks so fiddly!

Optical from my TV. No bother, it just plays whatever I throw at it but I'm sure that Plex will be able to detect it's not DTS and only present DD to the soundbar.

Back
Top Bottom