*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Caporegime
There is a stupid high statistic like 90 odd percent that if you buy one you'll buy another one within 12 months.

Well Sonos is a bit pointless if you only have one! :p

I guess part of the reason is people buying Sonos are looking for a system with multiple speakers. They get a Play 1 to test and then buy the others after they find they like it. That's what I did at least, it's quite nice to be able to test a system fairly cheaply before committing.

Caporegime
Other way - you stream to the connect and it comes out of your normal hifi. Let's you integrate normal hifis into your Sonos setup.

But my HiFi is already on the network and I have airplay...if I select Sonos in the receiver surely that means for example, I am unable to watch bluray in the background as the receiver can't take 2 input at once.

Caporegime
But my HiFi is already on the network and I have airplay...if I select Sonos in the receiver surely that means for example, I am unable to watch bluray in the background as the receiver can't take 2 input at once.

I don't get what you're asking. The connect let's people with hi-end hifis add Sonos connectivity. You don't have to buy one, it's just one of the options.

Caporegime
I don't get what you're asking. The connect let's people with hi-end hifis add Sonos connectivity. You don't have to buy one, it's just one of the options.

I mean what is the advantage of adding it to my HiFi as my intention is to have it separate from my HiFi ?

I can already stream content through my HiFi if I wanted to as it's on a network you see so to get a Sonos for its connectivity is not what i am after, I already have that connectivity.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If your intention is to keep things separate there's no benefit. You can stream via airplay but it's not as slick as Sonos, you can't sync your hifi with other rooms for instance or leave music playing if the streaming device is taken out the house.

The benefit for others is that it takes a non-connected hifi and allows you to stream from a variety of sources and integrate it into a multi-room system all using a single app. Stops your existing hifi being rendered useless as your Sonos system grows.

I haven't got one myself as i haven't got space for a traditional setup, but can see why people would buy them.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If your intention is to keep things separate there's no benefit. You can stream via airplay but it's not as slick as Sonos, you can't sync your hifi with other rooms for instance or leave music playing if the streaming device is taken out the house.

The benefit for others is that it takes a non-connected hifi and allows you to stream from a variety of sources and integrate it into a multi-room system all using a single app. Stops your existing hifi being rendered useless as your Sonos system grows.

I haven't got one myself as i haven't got space for a traditional setup, but can see why people would buy them.

This pretty much. I like to be able to stream to my hifi amp and the kitchen's Play 5 at the same for example. Means I have seamless audio between the two. It's also great if I have a house part and move some of the upstairs Sonos speakers into the garden.

Associate
Same as above,

I have a Play 5 in the kitchen and one upstairs, and I also have the connect, so that I can use my hifi in the lounge too.

@Raymond Lin

As you have already have your hifi connected to a network already, then you probably
won't need the connect.

But it's very nice being able to have the same music coming out of your Sonos speakers, and your hifi speakers as well ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm always on the look for the ZP to drop in price as currently last time i looked it was £400 plus the £150 outlay for ceiling speakers just cant justify that cost even though having ceiling speakers about the house would be cool.

Man of Honour
I'm always on the look for the ZP to drop in price as currently last time i looked it was £400 plus the £150 outlay for ceiling speakers just cant justify that cost even though having ceiling speakers about the house would be cool.

It's expensive to put speakers in the ceiling once the upstairs floorboards are down. Presume you know this or you're handy at DIY?

I looked into ceiling spot lights, I asked my neighbour for a quote as he's a sparky and I was shocked at the amount of time it would take.

Associate
One thing to question, is there a delay between using a connect and a normal sonos speaker?

I.e. i've got a connect linked to a hifi amplifier and thus normal speakers
Also for exmple have a play 5 in the next room.

If I group the two together doesn't the connect have a small delay from the sonos speaker? I'm sure i read that somewhere but cant remember precisely. I.e. there'll be a 150ms delay as the signal is being passed through the connect > hifi > speaker, rather than sonos > speaker.

Can't remember if it's noticeable however I might be getting confused with a different product! :o

Man of Honour
One thing to question, is there a delay between using a connect and a normal sonos speaker?

I.e. i've got a connect linked to a hifi amplifier and thus normal speakers
Also for exmple have a play 5 in the next room.

If I group the two together doesn't the connect have a small delay from the sonos speaker? I'm sure i read that somewhere but cant remember precisely. I.e. there'll be a 150ms delay as the signal is being passed through the connect > hifi > speaker, rather than sonos > speaker.

Can't remember if it's noticeable however I might be getting confused with a different product! :o

Connect > Roksan K3 > Monitor Audio G300's in the living room.
Play 5 in the kitchen.

Perfect sync to my ears.

Associate
Debating between a Sonos 1 or the Bose Mini Soundlink.

Am I right in assuming for the Sonos everything needs to be loaded up via the app vs the Bose which basically streams whatever is playing on the device?

Man of Honour
Debating between a Sonos 1 or the Bose Mini Soundlink.

Am I right in assuming for the Sonos everything needs to be loaded up via the app vs the Bose which basically streams whatever is playing on the device?

Yes you need to have a controller to use Sonos. But you don't need to start playing via the app, you can just hit the play/pause button and it will carry on playing what was in the queue.

My experience of Bose is that the sound is very manufactured and not that natural.

Associate
I thought they done away with the 'connect' part and you don't need it unless you've got them in multiple rooms?

Can you use the Sonos as a speaker for say an iPad or Macbook which is watching a something like Netflix?

Back
Top Bottom