*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
Just wanted to update my Sonos experience now that I have a Beam Gen 2.

The original Beam didn't support LPCM so that meant no surround sound for the Nintendo Switch or my PC

I Used an optical switch for a time to an external soundcard to allow me to get Dolby 5.1 from the pc but this meant having a switch box, cables, extra remote etc etc and no benefits of HDMI ARC.

Now that I have a Beam Gen 2, it supports LPCM, and my LG TV passes this through so all is good! Now getting surround sound from my Nintendo Switch and PC via HDMI eArc (I believe eArc is REQUIRED too for this to work). The Sonos app reports this as 7.1 Multichannel PCM but I'm told that this is still outputting 5.1 as it should, it's just a bug between the LG and Sonos causing the incorrect read in the app.

Just thought I would post this here as when researching for myself, you just come up against out of date arguements and articles about what works, what doesn't etc etc.

I do have one slight gripe though but I feel it's either related to my Switch or TV.

When I turn the switch on now with the surround settings etc, I get no sound until I then turn the TV off and on again then it kicks in.

Very odd. PS5, PC And other sources work as expected. May try a new HDMI cable for the switch?

Soldato
Just wanted to update my Sonos experience now that I have a Beam Gen 2.

The original Beam didn't support LPCM so that meant no surround sound for the Nintendo Switch or my PC

I Used an optical switch for a time to an external soundcard to allow me to get Dolby 5.1 from the pc but this meant having a switch box, cables, extra remote etc etc and no benefits of HDMI ARC.

Now that I have a Beam Gen 2, it supports LPCM, and my LG TV passes this through so all is good! Now getting surround sound from my Nintendo Switch and PC via HDMI eArc (I believe eArc is REQUIRED too for this to work). The Sonos app reports this as 7.1 Multichannel PCM but I'm told that this is still outputting 5.1 as it should, it's just a bug between the LG and Sonos causing the incorrect read in the app.

Just thought I would post this here as when researching for myself, you just come up against out of date arguements and articles about what works, what doesn't etc etc.

I do have one slight gripe though but I feel it's either related to my Switch or TV.

When I turn the switch on now with the surround settings etc, I get no sound until I then turn the TV off and on again then it kicks in.

Very odd. PS5, PC And other sources work as expected. May try a new HDMI cable for the switch?

Hey kinger - I'm in exactly your "old" position.

I have PC -> Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 -> Optical -> HDMI converter (Sonos one) going into a Beam Gen 1 with a sub and 2 * Sonos 3 as surrounds. Sounds great but I feel it could be easier annd better...so the rest of my setup is:

9900K/Z390Pro
LG CX 48

Can I just confirm that you use HDMI 2.1 in the normal way into the LG and then another eARC port with HDMI to the Beam Gen 2? And it works with little fuss by selecting "LG TV SSCR2 (Nvidia High Definition Audio)" as the source in Windows (10)?

If so, Gen 2 Beam incoming!

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Hey kinger - I'm in exactly your "old" position.

I have PC -> Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 -> Optical -> HDMI converter (Sonos one) going into a Beam Gen 1 with a sub and 2 * Sonos 3 as surrounds. Sounds great but I feel it could be easier annd better...so the rest of my setup is:

9900K/Z390Pro
LG CX 48

Can I just confirm that you use HDMI 2.1 in the normal way into the LG and then another eARC port with HDMI to the Beam Gen 2? And it works with little fuss by selecting "LG TV SSCR2 (Nvidia High Definition Audio)" as the source in Windows (10)?

If so, Gen 2 Beam incoming!

Thanks in advance.

Hey man, yep that's pretty much exactly the set up I had! Same sound card too!

Please read the last few posts of this topic I recently updated in the sound section for pc

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/any-way-to-pass-5-1-via-nvidia-hdmi.18945332/page-2

Basically I returned to that post to ask why LPCM wasn't working for pc now that I have kit that supports it.. then when I turned the pc on last night it worked! Some screen shots etc there too related to settings I now had available to me.

I played some halo to try it out and the surround was working as expected, Sonos showing multichannel pcm in the app and also the windows audio test worked correctly for all speakers and the sub!

As for hdmi cables, I am using the one supplied with the beam 2, and not sure what type I have for the pc.. I think it only needs to be 2.0? Not sure though!

Will check later! Not sure why I'd wasn't working that first night I tried it. The LG was just showing on windows as 2.0 stereo

Soldato
Hey man, yep that's pretty much exactly the set up I had! Same sound card too!

Please read the last few posts of this topic I recently updated in the sound section for pc

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/any-way-to-pass-5-1-via-nvidia-hdmi.18945332/page-2

Basically I returned to that post to ask why LPCM wasn't working for pc now that I have kit that supports it.. then when I turned the pc on last night it worked! Some screen shots etc there too related to settings I now had available to me.

I played some halo to try it out and the surround was working as expected, Sonos showing multichannel pcm in the app and also the windows audio test worked correctly for all speakers and the sub!

As for hdmi cables, I am using the one supplied with the beam 2, and not sure what type I have for the pc.. I think it only needs to be 2.0? Not sure though!

Will check later! Not sure why I'd wasn't working that first night I tried it. The LG was just showing on windows as 2.0 stereo

I am sure I followed that previous thread too at one point in the past :) but this is great news thanks for taking the time to reply and I'll update with results!

Many thanks again!

Soldato
I am sure I followed that previous thread too at one point in the past :) but this is great news thanks for taking the time to reply and I'll update with results!

Many thanks again!

I recall us trying to find a suitable soundcard etc :)

I want to test it all out a bit more but if it worked last night it clearly should be fine!

I did find even by optical sometimes I wouldn't get sound etc so would have to turn things off and on etc. Never straight forward!

Soldato
I recall us trying to find a suitable soundcard etc :)

I want to test it all out a bit more but if it worked last night it clearly should be fine!

I did find even by optical sometimes I wouldn't get sound etc so would have to turn things off and on etc. Never straight forward!

Indeed - and mine's dispatched and the 15% upgrade thing is great again. Just have to find a home for the old beam and that's this weekends fun sorted.

Soldato
Indeed - and mine's dispatched and the 15% upgrade thing is great again. Just have to find a home for the old beam and that's this weekends fun sorted.
Nice!

Hope you get on well with it! Reason I took a risk is Sonos offer 100day return if you aren't happy so I thought if it didn't work, I'd just turn it back round but luckily it's all good and sounds great too

Not tried much Atmos content yet

And I did that upgrade thing too, sold my Beam Gen 1 to a buddy for £200 (can definitely get more) but I had no box etc and no other room to pop it in :D

Soldato
Well this morning I swapped to Sonos Radio for my Planet Rock fix and that too has the same this service is ending soon message. :(

I'll go an vent on the Planet Rock Facebook page or similar. But effectively Planet Rock is now confined to the car.

Soldato
The IKEA Sonos range may be a good option for rears! Worth a look
I'd like to do this. However the issue I have is no power outlets near the back of the room.

What would have been ideal might have been adding a couple of Roam speakers as rear surrounds. Unfortunately it's not something that can currently be done (although plenty of people asking for it in Sonos forums).

I see someone has managed to hack in a particular Xiaomi power bank to a Symfonisk bookshelf speaker that allows it to work cable-free (it has to be something supporting both high and low USB power to make it through a reboot) but I'd rather something 'off the shelf' was available without having to solder things or drill holes.

Soldato
Well this morning I swapped to Sonos Radio for my Planet Rock fix and that too has the same this service is ending soon message. :(

I'll go an vent on the Planet Rock Facebook page or similar. But effectively Planet Rock is now confined to the car.

Just go to Settings >> Services and Voice >> Music & Content and add the Planet Radio service. You will then have access to the full list of Bauer stations. You will have to create a Planet Radio account but that only takes a couple of seconds.

Soldato
Ahh well, I have a Beam Gen 2 ordered. First Sonos product I'll have owned.

For now just going with the Beam G2 itself. Adding rear surrounds would take a good deal more persuasion with my other half, but I suppose I'm intrigued to hear the virtual surround / Atmos performance from the Beam. Once upon a time I didn't believe in virtual surround via headphones but I'm a complete convert in that respect. We'll see what can be done in terms of surround effect from a soundbar.

Soldato

For now just going with the Beam G2 itself. Adding rear surrounds would take a good deal more persuasion with my other half, but I suppose I'm intrigued to hear the virtual surround / Atmos performance from the Beam. Once upon a time I didn't believe in virtual surround via headphones but I'm a complete convert in that respect. We'll see what can be done in terms of surround effect from a soundbar.

Nice one, enjoy!

Had my Gen 2 for a week today and really pleased with it. Came from a Gen1. Haven't really tried anything Atmos yet, just been enjoying the extra formats it supports which has opened up PC and Switch surround sound options. Worth it for that over the original for my set up.

Soldato
Nice!

Hope you get on well with it! Reason I took a risk is Sonos offer 100day return if you aren't happy so I thought if it didn't work, I'd just turn it back round but luckily it's all good and sounds great too

Not tried much Atmos content yet

And I did that upgrade thing too, sold my Beam Gen 1 to a buddy for £200 (can definitely get more) but I had no box etc and no other room to pop it in :D

Well....update time.

Beam Gen 2 arrived on Thursday, I was patient and waited until this morning. Immediate improvement over the Beam Gen 1 (to be fair, I've only played DL2 and BF2042) but it sounds a level above, the surround is about the same with the 3s but no pesky soundcard and eARC much neater. I did need to (I think) downoad the Dolby Atmos app and reboot but all in all very simple and an upgrade. Speaking of which the old Beam went into the bedroom and that meant I had to get a couple on 1SLs to complete it...so fairly pricey weekend.

Still thanks kinger mate for the inspiration!

So now we have

Roam
Move
PC - Beam 2 - Sub - 3s
TV - Playbase - Sub - 1s
Kitchen TV - Beam 1 - 2s
Bedroom - Beam 1 - 1SLs
Connect (for the record deck)
Sons room - 5 gen 1 for his projector (he's at uni anyway)

I think it has to be the ARC to replace the playbase next. Oh and review the contents insurance!

eta just trying this...

Last edited:
Soldato
Well....update time.

Beam Gen 2 arrived on Thursday, I was patient and waited until this morning. Immediate improvement over the Beam Gen 1 (to be fair, I've only played DL2 and BF2042) but it sounds a level above, the surround is about the same with the 3s but no pesky soundcard and eARC much neater. I did need to (I think) downoad the Dolby Atmos app and reboot but all in all very simple and an upgrade. Speaking of which the old Beam went into the bedroom and that meant I had to get a couple on 1SLs to complete it...so fairly pricey weekend.

Still thanks kinger mate for the inspiration!

So now we have

Roam
Move
PC - Beam 2 - Sub - 3s
TV - Playbase - Sub - 1s
Kitchen TV - Beam 1 - 2s
Bedroom - Beam 1 - 1SLs
Connect (for the record deck)
Sons room - 5 gen 1 for his projector (he's at uni anyway)

I think it has to be the ARC to replace the playbase next. Oh and review the contents insurance!

eta just trying this...

Nice one glad you got it working on pc.

I havent downloaded the Atmos app but may do to try some Atmos supported games in the future :)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I need to mount my TV on the wall which means my playbase is going to have to be replaced. I’ve got playbase + rears.

How much of a noticeable difference should I expect switching to a beam gen2? I’ve really enjoyed the playbase, concerned about the bass but can’t have a sub in this room.

I’ve considered the arc, but it’s bigger than my TV (50”) so going for the Beam.

Soldato
Nope, but I do know sonos soundbar has quite aggressive sleep mode, if no sound comes through the soundbar for a little bit it can turn itself off and the volume control won't work till it turns back on - you can tell by the LED light color, once you have audio playing and it turns itself on, it will be green and not accept volume control, only once it turns white will it play audio and let you control volume

Soldato

Well, this didn't quite go to plan. Decided to use up my CEX vouchers on this (A grade). They've sent me a Gen 1. :confused: Wrong item ticket raised.

Edit: just a quick question: if I set up a couple of Symfonisk bookshelves with a beam Gen 2 for rear surrounds, would the app automatically cope if they were turned off some of the time? Or would I need to re-run the surround grouping each time I bring them into play?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, this didn't quite go to plan. Decided to use up my CEX vouchers on this (A grade). They've sent me a Gen 1. :confused: Wrong item ticket raised.

Edit: just a quick question: if I set up a couple of Symfonisk bookshelves with a beam Gen 2 for rear surrounds, would the app automatically cope if they were turned off some of the time? Or would I need to re-run the surround grouping each time I bring them into play?

I'm pretty sure it will just continue to work as intended, then back to surround once they were turned back on.

For example I accidently turned off a rear surround and noticed like a week later

Back
Top Bottom