*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Associate
Well, this didn't quite go to plan. Decided to use up my CEX vouchers on this (A grade). They've sent me a Gen 1. :confused: Wrong item ticket raised.

Edit: just a quick question: if I set up a couple of Symfonisk bookshelves with a beam Gen 2 for rear surrounds, would the app automatically cope if they were turned off some of the time? Or would I need to re-run the surround grouping each time I bring them into play?
I have that system and it is fine turned off.

However, my wife did manage to connect her phone via Bluetooth to the rears only, somehow, and that required a complete system reset to rectify, which was a complete pain!

Soldato
Well, this didn't quite go to plan. Decided to use up my CEX vouchers on this (A grade). They've sent me a Gen 1. :confused: Wrong item ticket raised.

Edit: just a quick question: if I set up a couple of Symfonisk bookshelves with a beam Gen 2 for rear surrounds, would the app automatically cope if they were turned off some of the time? Or would I need to re-run the surround grouping each time I bring them into play?
Doesn’t directly answer your question, however you can grab play one SL’s on the certified refurbished store for £129 each, or £109 each if you can find someone to give you a BlueLightCard discount code. There aren’t any in stock right now but if you keep an eye out they appear everyone month or two for a couple of days. They come boxed and as good as new.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Morning all, after some assistance as sonos themselves were rather unhelpful and despite me being pretty clear with my issue, they seemed to be discussing something entirely different.

I've removed my playbase and replaced it with the beam gen 2. My previous setup consisted of playbase+2x Play1s as rears. The playbase was connected via ethernet and the rears connected directly to the playbase via sonosnet.

I added the beam (ethernet), re-added the rears as surrounds but then they seemed to be cutting out. Looking further, I could see they were connecting via my wifi rather than sonosnet. I've reset everything, to default, added the beam again, then added the Play1s and then added them as surrounds to the beam, but again they will not connect via its own mesh and instead via my wifi and again keep cutting out (I went so far as to turning off my wifi access point to test if they would force onto sonosnet and no).

I spoke with sonos who said everything looks correct but didn't seem to understand sonosnet and its own mesh. I then suggested how it worked previously and had no issues and he said it was because the beam now supports 5ghz (as in, can *connect* to a 5ghz wifi network) and that because of that the beam can only connect on 2.4ghz to the rears and not directly. I then asked if there was anyone else I could speak to about the issue and he said that they would tell me the same and it won't change. If I call them, they will not say anything different.

All very surprising really, I assumed their support would be pretty clued up and helpful.

Any suggestions / tips before I send the beam back? I can't have the rears using my wifi instead of mesh, it does not work reliably at all and just cuts out every few seconds.

Man of Honour
Morning all, after some assistance as sonos themselves were rather unhelpful and despite me being pretty clear with my issue, they seemed to be discussing something entirely different.

I've removed my playbase and replaced it with the beam gen 2. My previous setup consisted of playbase+2x Play1s as rears. The playbase was connected via ethernet and the rears connected directly to the playbase via sonosnet.

I added the beam (ethernet), re-added the rears as surrounds but then they seemed to be cutting out. Looking further, I could see they were connecting via my wifi rather than sonosnet. I've reset everything, to default, added the beam again, then added the Play1s and then added them as surrounds to the beam, but again they will not connect via its own mesh and instead via my wifi and again keep cutting out (I went so far as to turning off my wifi access point to test if they would force onto sonosnet and no).

I spoke with sonos who said everything looks correct but didn't seem to understand sonosnet and its own mesh. I then suggested how it worked previously and had no issues and he said it was because the beam now supports 5ghz (as in, can *connect* to a 5ghz wifi network) and that because of that the beam can only connect on 2.4ghz to the rears and not directly. I then asked if there was anyone else I could speak to about the issue and he said that they would tell me the same and it won't change. If I call them, they will not say anything different.

All very surprising really, I assumed their support would be pretty clued up and helpful.

Any suggestions / tips before I send the beam back? I can't have the rears using my wifi instead of mesh, it does not work reliably at all and just cuts out every few seconds.

Try disconnecting the Play 1's from ethernet and the beam and have them all connected via WiFi.

I originally had all my Sonos One Gen 2's connected via ethernet, except for the one in the kitchen. The kitchen one would regularly disappear from the Sonos app. So I connected all the speakers via WiFi and it's been ok since.

Or turn off 5ghz on your router and force the Beam on to 2.4ghz?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Thanks @barmyllama I've only got the Beam on ethernet, the two rears are already wireless. The problem I have is that they now are dropping onto my 2.4ghz network, rather than sonosnet as they were previously with the PlayBase. Doing that, they just constantly drop out, like every 2-3 seconds.

Playbase and the 1s was perfect - as soon as I simply replaced the PlayBase with the beam it's just been trouble!

RE: your final point, I've tried forcing the Beam onto the 2.4ghz network, but then everything (Beam, Play1s) are all on my wifi which again isn't proving very stable.

If I can't get back to where I was with Sonos creating it's own stable mesh network I might just send it back. I enjoyed that Sonos was just one of those things that 'worked' without fiddling but it's taken far more fiddling than I expected.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hi @Daaaavvveee yup, got that enabled buddy (so that it can create the mesh network). Very bizarre. I think I'll give it one last try, reset everything, reset my network (ugh, that's not been a problem for years and worked just fine with the playbase) and see how I get on. Interestingly, I tried the other way around, wiring in one of the Play1s and the beam still wasn't playing ball by, so I guess there is a small likelihood it's faulty, perhaps.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Without dominating this thread, some good feedback. Contacted Richer Sounds yesterday, told them what Sonos said, they organised a replacement, DPD arrived this morning and also collected the other one. Within a few minutes it was set up, paired perfectly with rears via Sonosnet and working perfectly with no dropouts.

Very happy with that level of customer service. Probably an 18 hour turnaround!

Man of Honour
That's awesome. I had a few minor issue with my sub dropping off but Sonos support fixed that via chat. I'm now convinced my Port isn't working correctly but they want me to send a video of the issue which I haven't managed to get around to doing.

Caporegime
Anyone had any issues with random intermittent disconnections? My Mrs often does the house work with the music playing in every room and it’s been fine for years. She showed me yesterday that it drops in just about every room for half a second intermittently. Connecting to one speaker at a time like I do has never given me any issues.

Not quite sure how to do about troubleshooting this, maybe we just have too many devices connected to our router. I was thinking about trying the boost, anyone else had similar?

We have them in about 7 rooms all Sonos Ones.

Soldato
Anyone heard if ikea are replacing their bookshelf speaker?

Thinking of getting 2 as rears for the beam and noticed it says last chance to buy. They being discontinued or is a new model coming out?

Associate
Anyone had any issues with random intermittent disconnections? My Mrs often does the house work with the music playing in every room and it’s been fine for years. She showed me yesterday that it drops in just about every room for half a second intermittently. Connecting to one speaker at a time like I do has never given me any issues.

Not quite sure how to do about troubleshooting this, maybe we just have too many devices connected to our router. I was thinking about trying the boost, anyone else had similar?

We have them in about 7 rooms all Sonos Ones.

Hm interesting, my ones, which have been fine for years, have been disconnecting of late, I did wonder if it was related to an update (keep meaning to check the sonos forums). At the same time my play 5 is fine.

Soldato
Hi guys, any idea if and how you can play YouTube videos via Sonos? I know you can play YouTube Music via the Sonos app, but is there a way to play the sound from videos from the regular app/site too? I listen to a lot of mixes (such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b13vktLlVso&list=WL&index=34&t=8s) which I'd like to play.

Otherwise, any idea if the regular videos uploaded to YouTube (example above) available in YouTube Music?

Soldato

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Air play works if you're on the Apple ecosystem, I don't believe there's an official way of doing it for Android. If you've got a Sonos hooked up to a TV you can do it that way; either cast from mobile to TV, or use the YouTube app on the TV and then group as many speakers as you want to listen in other rooms. Bit of a mess around but does work.

Man of Honour
I'm now convinced my Port isn't working correctly but they want me to send a video of the issue which I haven't managed to get around to doing.

Update to this. The issue that I've had is that the input ports have been extremely sensitive. The slightest movement of the jacks meant the audio cracked and distorted. Furthermore, if I chose variable output and did a left/right fade, it just wouldn't fade. And stereo wasn't working, everything was in mono. It was set up right and I've checked all of the cables which I guess the first agent didn't belive. I got onto Sonos Support again via live chat and the agent spoke to his manager, they asked me to connect my CD player to the input of the Port and to try that, which didn't work. When I looked in the app, it would show as connected for a second and then disconnected for about 5 seconds then connected for a second and so on. They then authorised an RMA and I have the new one in and working and it's all fixed and as a bonus sounds even better, but that might be the addition of stereo!

Soldato
Another attempt. A Grade Beam Gen 2 from CEX, £50 cheaper than when I ordered it the first time. After removing the packing materials, it is very obviously a Beam Gen 2, the correct item. This could work out quite well.

Also, I made a lot more money from selling my RTX 2060 for a CEX voucher a couple of months ago than I would have done now.

Back
Top Bottom