***Official Squad Thread***

Soldato
OP
Monthly Recap - June 2016

jY9jFc8.png

Hi Squaddies,

June has been an extremely busy time for us, with work on Version 7 well underway and a majority of the team focusing on getting vehicles into your hands! Without any further adieu.. Here is what we worked on in June!

Systems

Vehicles Update

A lot of work has continued behind closed doors with respect to vehicles, namely sorting out the physics, handling, player interaction and gameplay systems involved. Below is a heavily Work in Progress video.

Vehicle handling is something we are paying careful attention to, and with that a sense of reality in responsiveness and drive capabilities of our vehicles. Not only physical behaviour but also input responses are tweaked for each vehicle. Different tires and suspension designs have strength and weaknesses. For example, the technical is much more nimble compared to the armoured Humvee. This is going to provide some very interesting bits of asymmetry with the way these vehicles will be used, with Insurgents and Militia factions opting for hit-and-run tactics while the Americans and Russians prefer more stout but slower convoys to move around the battlefield.

Production has made significant progress since the beginning of the month, with Effects dealing mostly with what happens when a vehicle is damaged or destroyed as well as handling different damage types, Audio with general engine and drive sounds (the video above is not the final product), Animation with passenger behaviour and vehicle weapons.

Logistics has also been heavily worked on in the next version, where vehicles now play a huge role in keeping FOBs supplied and armed. In the next version, Construction and Ammo points will be regenerating at a significantly reduced rate, encouraging the use of vehicles to run logistics from main base to FOBs in the field. Central FOB Radios will also require a corresponding supply vehicle to deploy. In the first release of Logistics, the supply will be channeled from vehicle to FOB, rather than dumping all of the supplies into crates. What you will see is a rough first implementation of the system, and we will be developing it further in future iterations.

Upgraded Radial Menu

As part of our expanded redesign of our User Interface, we are upgrading the look and functionality of the Radial Menu used by Squad Leaders and ordinary Squad members to access kit roles and deployables for construction in the field.

zblDntBl.jpg

y8W7Hxtl.jpg

YNu3yVcl.jpg

One exciting development to accompany this upgrade is tying the marker system with the Radial Menu, meaning that Squad Leaders can place map markers via pointing and marking with the Radial Menu, in addition to placing it directly onto the map.

Art

jY9jFc8.png

New US Army Soldiers

Our art team is proud to show off to you our new set of United States Army soldier models, finally in the game! Crafted from scratch with help from our Military Advisers whom have served in the US Armed Forces, the level of authenticity is hard to beat. We will continue to iterate and add more variations to the soldier models well into the future.

UrZFMKJl.jpg

n98rwzjl.jpg

HDi6DLcl.jpg

FLrQpuel.jpg

LXnakorl.jpg

vBJc4fCl.jpg

2BiLwndl.jpg

ECe83YTl.jpg

KkvYdfQl.jpg

M1937 82mm Mortar

"Mortars INCOMING!"

This old Soviet mortar pre-dates World War 2. Don't let its age fool you, when those 82mm shells start flying, youll be running for cover regardless of its age! Planned for much later down the track as a FOB deployable, the M1937 Mortar will see service with our irregular factions, while our more conventional factions will have appropriate mortar models down the line, and when the mortar system is developed further.

GhM5l0ml.jpg

DShK Heavy Machine Gun

Featured in a previous recap, the DShK is now fully animated and textured, and will soon be featured in the battlefield both in static tripod mode (as a Deployable Machine Gun), and on the back of the Technical. In its tripod configuration, the weapon offers full 360 degree coverage with excellent pitch range, making it an excellent all-round-defense weapon. However, the gunner is extremely exposed as it requires him to stand up to operate the weapon, so be careful!

zOjQoHJl.jpg

GbKMiixl.jpg

a7fjFjml.jpg

M110 SASS

The M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System is now in-game and will be featured in the US Army Marksman kit in the next version. In its current state it will sport a TA31 4X ACOG optic, in lieu of technical blockers preventing us in using the standard 10x Leupold scope. Rest assured that we will be working at getting that particular optic working in due time.

2BfUWDWl.jpg

UXb6geJl.jpg

PPSH-41 SMG & SKS Rifle

Our artists have also been hard at work bringing two more irregular forces weapons to the fold, the SKS rifle and PPSH-41 submachine gun. Both fully animated and configured, expect these to come to a battlefield near you!

Apartment Blocks Update

An update from the environment team comes in the form of Apartment blocks, where we've been working on more variations and the exteriors to really get the ball rolling on a more urban-style environment.

x5pdwWsl.jpg

GMDDmUul.jpg

wAF70HQl.jpg

4zwvkYKl.jpg

plOIQqFl.jpg

Mapping

jY9jFc8.png

Yehorivka

Our new Eastern European theatre map, Yehorivka, has been growing since the last recap. The map now has the first settlements in it. They're agricultural themed, surrounded by open fields, roads and highways. Inside the settlements you'll find sturdily built house yards covered with fences and gateways. These settlements are going to be very easy to dig in and will provide the much needed cover for your whole team.

XSoAzTDl.jpg

LqMS9y7l.jpg

uhtgVx5l.jpg

brIEq2Fl.jpg

M6wzydFl.jpg

Gorodok

Work continued on Gorodok with the addition of new objective areas for upcoming layout variations as well as multiple visual improvements including sky and lighting adjustments.

UrirP2Gl.jpg

RudjsYXl.jpg

evuNfPol.jpg

Sumari Bala Detail Pass

They say "It's all in the details" and that's exactly why we've spent the last month adding props and detail to the remaining areas of Sumari Bala. In addition to giving it a more lived-in feel, the details should provide added cover and concealment for its wide streets, narrow alleys, and even interiors. We've also made a few tweaks to the AAS layers and added even more caches for the Insurgency layer.

qWw6snYl.jpg

tiOMxRll.jpg

vBczOFbl.jpg

6vt1Qyzl.jpg

jY9jFc8.png

Before we close out, the development team would like to thank Tom Landry for the continued contributions to the Squad Wiki. If you are new to Squad and joined us during the summer sale, this is a fast evolving resource to get yourself up to speed on all of Squad's content and gameplay concepts. For those who have been with us through development, we ask that you join in contributing, knowledge is power, power is strength, stronger Squaddies make a stronger Squad.

We hope ya'll enjoyed this months recap, and please stay tuned to the website and forums for more in Squad development!

Offworld Out.

Join the Discussion >>

Associate
@Xcept1 hi m8y can u find out if this will ever make it in game :)

Glass for windows that can be broken?
Will there be more weapons for the rebels ? More old ww2 rifles? Etc and Russian weapons? I ask this as I always find myself on them teams as usa have dot's and acogs etc...

And also weather effects ?

Cheers if u could maybe ask devs or if u know yourself

Soldato
OP
@xcept1 hi m8y can u find out if this will ever make it in game :)

Glass for windows that can be broken?

Buildings or vehicles? We have some plans for this with the balistics/penetration system.

Will there be more weapons for the rebels ? More old ww2 rifles? Etc and Russian weapons? I ask this as I always find myself on them teams as usa have dot's and acogs etc...

Yup, more are planned. Tis all I can say about that!

And also weather effects ?

Planned. Waiting on Simul to fix trueSky. Once that's in we can start looking at weather effects/passing of time etc.

Cheers if u could maybe ask devs or if u know yourself

Soldato
I know it won't happen as there was a discussion about it on the Squad forums, but I still would love to see a light mortar class. Would certainly make for interesting support fire team, particularly against heavily fortified positions.

Suppose one big issue would be that I'm not aware of other conventional armies using portable mortar systems like the old British 51mm and new 60mm that only requires one person to operate it.

Soldato
It will still be here like in PR, but it's a deployable asset. What I meant is a brand new soldier class on its own carrying a small portable light mortar such as this or this (look at the left side of the screen).

There is an argument that UGL and grenadier class make it redundant but mortar provides a much higher firing arc so you are able to fire above enemy walls which could be great for assaulting compounds that have been fortified.

British Army was in fact in the process of phasing out the 51mm mortar with UGL but operational experience proved that there still was use for more traditional mortar system on the battlefield so they acquired the M6 60mm as part of UOR.

Soldato
OP
Never say never. Our own Sgt. Ross was a mortar man in the USMC so there's always a possibility. For the time being though the plan is to currently have the mortar as a FOB deployable like the M2. The same developer who built the mortar system in PR will be working on the Squad version.

Associate
Oh and what about the transport choppers I am more looking forward to that than jeeps and that :D

Ps Arma choppers are going to take some beaten as they are the best in any game I've played :D

Associate
Advance or standard flight model? Suffice to say ours won't explode when they roll over though!

I used to use the arma2 controls :D

Looking forward to testing them hope they get sounds right like Arma did as well sounds crazy from ground waiting for pick up and you hear them coming :D

Back
Top Bottom