*****Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread*****

Soldato
Some other videos show zoning isn't even done yet, charater just plopping out of the air, so this is definitely not a final product!

Champions Online...or perhaps more aptly, City of Heroes. In the videos I have watched it just kind of looks like you get a mission from a mission hub location, maybe group with a couple of friends and then go into what appears to be an instanced mission, then return to the hub, get another mission, go into another instanced mission and repeat.

Oh god I hope not, but I don't think so considering it has a story line, made by masters of storylines in games. :D
So a lot of missions will probably have purpose no doubt, not to say there won't be random instances as well as a filler.

Man of Honour
Well its easy enough to do as I described with a story line. In fact, one could almost say that doing it with instanced missions would be the best way to do a storyline, as it would ensure that people dont come along and mess your story line up, or kill the guy that you're supposed to be helping/killing for the story etc etc.

I just havent seen anything yet which doesnt scream instanced to me.

Man of Honour
Oh I see what you mean, like public/world/open quests and the option for a PvP realm to say, attack people (and playing an evil character, be evil!)
I've never played evil and I really want to in this, no holding back.

Yeah thats the kind of thing I would like, what point is there in having light and dark and moral decisions to be made if I cannot turn on the people around me at any given time. In UO for example I could truly be evil, I could turn on anyone, anywhere, I could stab them in the back, steal from them, betray them at any moment. IMO that level of freedom is the only way that there can truly be "good" and "evil" where your choices actually do change the things that happen to you.

Sadly , from what I have seen so far, that doesnt look like it will be an option in SWTOR as it looks like everything of consequence is done in instances because its virtually the only way to have a story line where nobody else messes it up.

As an example, a mission to kill a good/bad guy. If its not instanced, then what happens if you reach the good/bad guy, only to find that theres another group there who killed him?

As I say, at the moment I am just expecting a great story (as Bioware usually do) , but with most things of consequence being instanced in a kind of City of Heroes/Champions Online/Star Trek Online sort of way. Which unfortunately isnt quite my ilk of MMO.

Soldato
This thread makes me laugh. It's a year away, it looks great for an MMO and that without 80% of the information not being released yet! This will be a WoW killer which is a game that changed a lot from the early betas. The single player fanboys wish it was single player and the MMO fanboys are moaning it won't be MMO enough!

I have confidence that Bioware can see what has made successful MMO's and will incorporate all the parts that will make it succeed and make money.....

Soldato
I still dont quite see the MMO in this...watching some of those videos do you know what I am reminded of?

Champions Online...or perhaps more aptly, City of Heroes.

No, you got it spot on, it's like Champions Online but i think the movement on CO are a lot better than what we're watching on demo videos.

Soldato
This will be a WoW killer

No it won't, WoW is too successful for anything to 'kill' it, it's beaten MMO's countless of times over the years, people need to give it a rest and accept that WoW is classed as the best MMO and will continue to be as Lucasarts will think of something to screw up TOR.

Associate
I can't see what is basically a single player game having much longevity compared to a 'real' mmog. I'm sure it will be fun for a couple of months though ;)

Associate
I wonder if they are planning to release that side of things as an expansion, a la SWG's Jump to Lightspeed? Surprises me that they haven't included it (or so it would seem at least), could be a possibility.

My thoughts exactly, but we all know how badly JTL worked out as an expansion, and how bloody long after release it took to come out. Systems as prolific as space should really have been in development since the beginning - but who knows, maybe it has? All indications say no though:

Tentonhammer said:
Is there any space-based aspect to the game?

James: We can say that we're going to have different worlds for you to explore and that you're going to have a method of travel from world to world. But again, we can't go into any details on how you go from world-to-world. I know it's a little disappointing, but it's something we definitely can't talk about at this point.

Then again there's also this:

IGN said:
IGN: This is from Mitchell in Texas. I would like to know if you guys are implementing space combat. There are a lot of people asking about space combat, and what type of combat will it be? Will there be dogfights, capital ships? And he says I want to feel like a Star Wars adventurer in the fray, not just another Boba Fett lookalike. Do you guys plan on allowing the player to customize their weapon, armor, and body features with a lot of variety.

Dallas Dickinson: The first one is that we're not talking about space combat yet.

I guess we just have to sit tight and wait and see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom