** Official ** Summer 2010 Transfer Thread - Signings, Sightings and Rumor's in Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Maybe early doors for official signings but with the end of the season fast approaching, clubs at all ends of footballing spectrum are planning their respective additions as we speak.

The rumor mill started at the last window with Chelsea supposedly close to signing Kun Aguero. No smoke without fire I say when you see that he could quite easily replace Joe Cole who is yet to sign a new contract. Citeh are supposed to be offering mega bucks for Joe Cole's services.

Beckford at Leeds looks like he is on his way to either a Championship or Premier League club.

Vidic at United may or may not be going to the warmer climbs of the Santiago Bernabeau this summer depending on which red top you read.

Will Liverpool manage to keep hold of Torres, Gerrard and Rafa this summer with lack of funds and quality players being cited as some of the reasons for their relative decline from last seasons runners up performance.

Arsenal are supposed to have money to burn but will this be another summer of big promises with only or two notable signings.

So there's your starters. Keep all confirmed signings, speculation and rumors in this thread.

What youngsters do you think should be getting chances Johnny? Kakuta is one I assume. Always curious to hear what youngsters other fans think will come through, not something I hear about outside of Carling Cup games.

Was speaking about this with one of the other coaches from our club this afternoon. He made a good point that Utd will not go out of their way to sign the marquee players who are over valued. So he would like to see some of the youngsters given a good run in the team next year like Gibson and Possebon

and how many recless yellow / red cards for Scholes? How about a more dynamic AM with energy for whole games who doesnt need to be rested every few days come the end of the season?

The games are becoming more obvious when they pass both players by - yes they work hard, but sometimes that isnt enough. I never suggested they arent Utd heroes, they both will be for life but sometimes you just have to say enough is enough. Giggs still has a role, even Scholes - but Im sorry it shouldnt be for that amount of games (they are much more worth teaching younger players imo)

Funny you should say that, I was at a fundraising dinner a few weeks back and Lee Sharpe was the guest speaker. He was telling the audience how Paul Scholes was 45 minutes away from not making it at Old Trafford. Him and a few of the more senior pro's were watching an indoor game at the Cliff along with Fergie and Brian Kidd. A few of the household names had already been earmarked to get a full time contract (Beckham, Neville, Butt) Yet Fergie wasn't convinced by this small ginger chap. With 20 minutes to go, he bagged 4 goals and set up two more which earned him his contract.

Anyway I think the problem with Scholes this season is in part down to enigma that is Michael Carrick. Scholsey simply is not the player to ghost into the box week in week out. His game is more suited to playing deeper and reading the game and picking the passes, all of which is he does more consistently than what Carrick does. Is he the man to drive a midfield forward no. And he certainly is not one for going up against a more dynamic Gerrard or Essien for 90 minutes. However if you want somebody to stretch a game with his range of passing or offer a bit of experience to some of the younger charges then I don't think you will go too far wrong with Scholse

What is needed is someone with a bit more drive and fizz playing in front of him. Someone who can make them lung busting runs into the box in the 1st minute and the last minute. Someone who can break up play on the edge of our box and be up the field a minute later to place a delicate shot past the keeper. I still think we missed the boat with Sneijder. Van Der Vaart would not be a bad option but his wage demands would be prohibitive.

He had a trial there, was offered a contract but didn't fancy it. Said the move to Utd at that time of his career just didn't feel right. To be fair to Citeh they do have one of the best Youth set up's in the country so it's no wonder Ireland really blossomed as a player up until recently

Whether he would feel any different now being a more established player :confused:. I mean surely if he came then he's got to be confident that he would get a game ahead of Carrick

You say that, but for instance what was the main problem against Chelsea home and away?
Against Liverpool?

There should be a player in there who just simply steam rollers anyone in possession before they approach the back 4.

Uniteds problem is they are physically weak in the center and lacking up front even with Rooney.

I would extremely surprised if he doesnt sign a Roy Keane type player this year.

That in turn could be a complete waste of money as well. Im sure if he thinks he can get a good 30 games out of Hargreaves next season he will turn his sights for somebody who has the legs in midfield to make it all come together.

When we lost them games against Liverpool last season, all hypothetical of course but I would wager we would have gained at least a point at Anfield would Hargreaves been playing.

Maybe the fitness of Hargreaves would see Carrick have a return to form in a more attacking sense.

With the re-signing of Neville, Giggs & Scholes, my feeling is that the deal has already been done for Fergies replacement. Transfer funds have been agreed and the Glazers are keeping the purse strings tight. Whoever comes in will want their own budget to make the team in their mold and I don't think you can do that on a player in player out basis like we see now

Mabye, lets just hope its not Moyes, O'Neil, Bruce or anyone like that they bring in to replace him.
This talk of Ferguson taking part in picking his successor as well, I dont buy it, the old goat has an agreement to walk when he likes with a days notice, I think the board have got his replacement lined up as well, and as soon as THEY start making noises that he is taking to long to go, the board will give Ferguson the push and move the new manager in.

Agreed I would not want to see either of those 3 as manager either. There is always a lot of hype surrounding O'Neil. I remember listening to an interview with John Hartson and he said that he rarely saw him around the training field during the week, it was always the back room staff. He made his money the ten minutes before a game with his team talk. With the greatest respect I think we need someone with a little more about them than that.

2/3 of lampards goals are penalties.

Even if that were true(which it isn't) it makes no difference, he has scored the goals and they all count. Lampard has been a consistent performer week in week out for a number of years.

He had a blip 18 months - 2 years ago iirc but since going to Chelsea he has lead by example

Hardly 'splashing the cash' though is it?

To be honest I really posted because Loki used to stupid name to refer to Newcastle. I thought this wasn't allowed? I thought I'd do the same for Man Utd in the interests of fairness.

Dude no offence meant with my original post and it certainly wasn't a dig directed to you personally.

My father in law is a Newcastle fan and I have often refered to his team as the...................well you know what and no offence took on his part. rightly or wrongly I assumed it was just a bit of fun.

As I say no offence meant.

yes but at Man Utd he gets many more guilt edged chances.

you cant just compare pre and post man utd stats. at the end of the day when you spend 30 millions on someone you probably expect a bigger return than he has provided.

but its the chances he has missed and his body language when on the pitch that is the real issue.

expectations change when you make a big money move - if you dont perform - or worse underperform people will judge you buy the transfer fee and how you have done...

he did pretty badly overall imo. and its a shame...

no....

Agree with everything you say there NickG. I remember the first summer we were interested in him and I was speaking to Linoge on MSN. He linked me to a Youtube video where Berbatov scored some really spectacular goals and yes he actually took players on. At the time I was very sceptical of what he would bring to the team and after watching the montage thought yeah ok he's the real deal.

Statistically this maybe one of his better seasons but im afraid his style of play is not suited to or game. In the derby the other week there was many occasions where our wingers broke after he moved the ball wide from the centre circle yet he just saunters up the pitch and our wingers have to slow down to accommodate him.

The more you look at him the more an unusual transfer this is. He's not a team player and he's not one for busting his balls in either box. Berbatov is an unsual player in that Fergie usually goes for a more team oriented player.

:eek: £38mill for a player that probably a lot of people havent heard of...unless hes something special and has been kept under wraps by Benfica:p.

But i imagine that with the WC coming up the transfer market will be inflated price wise based on what 3-4 weeks of form??

To be fair to the lad he is very very left footed in the same way that Valencia is all right foot. Oh and he tore Everton a new butt hole when he played against them. A good player to liken him to is Ribery or Robben with their explosive pace from a standing start.

.........and therefore someone that United wont be signing.

In the past 5 years, how many actual top of their game world class players have united signed?

Answer?
None.
Van Der Sar ??? Despite being 40 is probably one of the best goal keepers in the game today. Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic, two of the better defenders playing the game at the moment.

atpbx said:
Wayne Rooney was the last properly desirable big name at the time player that the club has signed.
It seems the club or fergie just give up once someone else is interested, yet seemingly happy to pay £30.5 million for dross like Berbatov.

If a player like Di Maria is available this summer then Ferguson would bid. But rightly so like he did last summer if other teams are willing to match any transfer bid and beat our wage offer significantly, then he is right to walk away from the deal. Karim Benzema anyone ? More worryingly if you do try and out bid teams like Real Madrid in the wage stakes, your going to get everyone else in the squad banging Ferguson's door down for a better deal.

Whilst everyone was quick to believe the hype that Ronaldo and all the other Galactico's signed for Los Merngues last summer due to some lust of love for the Madrid shirt. I am sure the fact that foreign sports stars pay significantly less tax then they would do in the UK. So a player wanting £120k after tax actually costs more to clubs like Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool than it does to Madrid, Barca etc.

To suggest the club just can't be arsed is quite frankly a load of bull.

38 million for Di Maria is insane frankly- there's absolutely zero guarantees that he will succeed, nor do I think he is twice as good as Valencia who it seems (with hindsight) was actually a great value signing!

Agree 100% with that.

Nobody can argue that Valencia has been a great signing for us. No doubt he will get better, playing with better players and a better standard of opposition. I would much rather sign a player like him and help him develop into a respectable player on the international stage than pay £38m for someone like Di Maria who is arguably on par with him.

I was saying what I think we need, it's not set in stone son, calm down ;)

Brown is a good CB, I never trust him at RB, he was good for that one season but since he seems to lack pace and seeing as everyone has a fast as **** winger nowadays it's not an option. Think Liverpool and Jamie Carragher.

Rafael is quick enough, I just don't think he's ready for a full season, he's far too rash at times, if he can calm down he will be a cracking player.

If u had the choice would you keep Sicknote Owen or Workshy Berbatov ?

I'm pretty sure that will be MU going all out for Silva now, if Villa sell they will want as much as possible and we're not going to out bid City.

Really ???????????

I watched him in a pre season last year and he was dog ****. He was like Reyes but slower. Admittedly I have not watched much of Valencia this year so cant comment on how he has played for them.

Too lightweight for what I have seen of him, albeit limted

Sergio Aguero is looking a possibility for Man Utd according to several places, cant see it happening myself though.

I can't see it happening either.

If he wanted £140k a week after tax then we would have to pay him the best part of £250k a week just to make it work. £30m for the player, god knows what in agents fee's plus £12m a year in wages. No thanks

Fergie comes out with the same rubbish every transfer window. Surely nobody pays any attention to him anymore.

Well it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't. I bet the prospect of Smalling & some 5ft 4 Pygmy from Mexico with Swine Flu has got Barca, Bayern & AC quaking in their boots as we speak

I cant believe Ferguson is saying we wont be offloading Berbatov this year.

Way to **** off and wind up every single fan in the world Fergie, what next? Are you going to make the whole team play in clogs with their legs tied together to bring them all down to his level to make him feel better?

For the love of god change the bloody record or **** off and support Bitter FC or something. If he comes out and says that he will want to offload Berbatov then straight away it does two things.

Drives any potential transfer fee down as opposing teams know you publicly want rid.

If no transfer materialises then he has burnt his bridges with him even before the season starts.

Now I am not suggesting we keep Berbatov or anything like that but look at the bigger picture instead of the usual Anti- Fergie BS you come out with all the time. Or do you actually think there is some benefit in a manager publicly slating a player 2 years into a 4 year contract.

Smith should have, Milner says he has.

Yes but when all the lids fans were going mental saying he was loyal through and through and claiming he was singing Munich songs in some dodgy working mens club just before he signed for us. Money talks and bull **** walks.

I couldn't give a hoot either way if he joined. Good player ?? Yes. Worth £20+m No. Lids Fan Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Jog on. Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom