** Official ** Summer 2010 Transfer Thread - Signings, Sightings and Rumor's in Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope JM doesn't start late night texting his exes at Chelsea with promises of fine Spanish wine & easy ladies :(
They've all still got the hots for him and he'll no doubt have £*bn's to spend, somehow.

Well if he does start texting that little rat, Ashley Cole will no doubt be first to jump ship.

All I am hoping for is that he takes Frank Lampard to RM. Then we might just might have a chance of signing Van der Vaart

So dissapointed we're letting Joe Cole go. One of my favourite Chelsea players and will be sorely missed both on the field and off imo. We're really having to get the money bags out this summer to remain competitive, which to be fair has been a long time coming.
I hope RA isn't so reluctant to spend this summer as we're dropping players like flies. I can only assume we have some top talent already lined up to come to us.

To me the announcement indicates that Chelsea/RA will be getting one of the two players they have coveted for a long time now in Aguero or Kaka and I think the former being the more likely.

On the Joe Cole story, regardless of where he goes, you got to take your hat off to him as he has conducted himself professionally in front of the cameras on the subject of his club future.

RUmours this morning that Joe Cole wants to go to Utd, lets ruddy hope so. Do Arsenal need another short, not that fast, injury prone midfielder? no we damn well don't.

AS for defenders, well, it looks like we're signing one(hopefully) and losing Gallas, Silvestre(yippee), Senderos and quite possibly Campbell aswell.

Considering last season we had one two few good enough centre backs, we really need at least two backup CB's and really to actually for the first time in ages, have a 3rd very decent CB as backup rather than going from Vermaelen to Djourou quality if injurys occur.

Sauce on Cole rumours ?

Oh you mean that Sneijder, the one that had a massive loss of form and couldn't get in the team.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You stop that you awful man :mad:

You have to remember that in some peoples eyes, Fergie is wrong when he buys proven talent or big names that doesn't work out. Wrong when he buys good young players who in the long run will add quality to the squad. He was also just lucky and in the right place at the right time to get Ronaldo for £12m. Wrong to buy Hargreaves who was instrumental in Bayern winning 3 domestic titles and also England's best player at the last world cup in a campaign nearly as bad as this World Cup.

He should also be hung drawn and quatered for having a wonky crystal ball. Pretty much agreed that Sneijder was gash at Madrid. Why didn't he buy him last year knowing full well if he went to Milan he would win the treble and be playing in the W/C final this Sunday. Senile old fool.

I personally hold him accountable for not signing Marco Van Basten and Diego Maradona when he wasn't at the club. Why didn't he over see these deals

It is a little irritating how we keep signing/trying to sign/declaring interest in players that he could have got for a third of the price a few seasons ago. See Carrick, Berbatov, Tevez and now (although only rumoured) Sneijder and Modric.

It's a fine line though isn't it Look at some of his more recent acquisitions. Everyone knew Ronaldo was something special before we signed him yet 12 months ago he is the world player of the year.

Look at Valencia, I doubt anyone could argue that he was one of the most consistent performers last season for us and one of the Premier Leagues better players. He will only get better.

The argument about Modric and players like him "Oh we could have bought him when for Nine Tenths of Naff all" doesn't always add up though. If Modric came to us at the time Spurs signed him then he would not got anywhere near as much football as he has at Spurs. Potentially not the player he is today as well. Greatest respect to Spurs, they were the right club at the right time for him.

Dan Gosling leaving Everton on a free

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11671_6250917,00.html

What a mess from Start to Finish, the club fail to do the proper admin of submitting a contract offer to him. The player who is still injured for upto 4 months is just walking away with no loyalty to Everton. Really makes you think for the future of football if incompetence exists at club level and like wise the players being so mercenary

You do talk a load of arse

carrick was never at the top of his game. he has looked slow, laboured and unable to come to terms with life at man utd.. like i say we are forced to play 3 centre midfielders when he plays to make up for his lack of pace, or tackling ability. and his passing isn as great as he would have you believe either!

We are not forced to play 3 central midfielders, in case you haven't noticed three out of the four teams contesting the world cup semi finals play 3 central midfielders. Maybe you can't get an appreciation of that on football manager :confused:

Nickg said:
he WAS lucky to sign ronaldo. its only because we happened to play them in a pre season friendly and then Giggs and other senior players badgered fergie into signing him because he completely outskilled all of our players...infact aresenal were wanting him but because we had a mutual agreement with sporting at the time we were able to leverage this and buy him first.

now is that luck or a fantastically scouted signing by fergie?

Contradict yourself much ? Why do you think we struck up this partnership with Lisbon if it wasn't to tap into their talent at the time. Are you seriously thinking that after the match Giggsy the conversation went something like.

Giggsy - "Hey Gaffer that Ronaldo was a bit of alright, tore Gaz Nev a new butt hole a few times, I reckon we should sign him"

Fergie "Aye Ryan great idea, get me David Gill on the phone"

Fergie "David, how much you got left on the company credit card, the lads loved that Ronaldo kid and want us to sign him tonight...................................£12m..........................................**** It go on then................................."

Fergie "Ryan, you got your card with you, David Gill reckons his chip n pin won't work"

Giggsy "That old chestnut"

Nickg said:
wrong to buy an injury prone player who just got majorly injured? probably yes, his future returns in terms of appearances for UTD back this up entirely.

hargreaves has a total of 26 appearances plus a sub in 3 years....

Prior to signing for Utd he was relatively injury free until his last season at Bayern. Tendonitis was and is relatively easy to treat. Oh and if you want to start spouting about injury prone players, at least balance it up a bit.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy, ACL Injury before joining us, 150 games 95 goals between 2001 & 2006 including one season pretty much injured. Jog On

Nickg said:
yea but somehow Inter didnt think he was so terrible and were willing to spend 12mill for him...

As said many times before by many many people, hindsight and all that. If you could predict Wesley Sneijder who cost Real Madrid 27m Euros would be sold for 12m Euros within 12 months, would go on to win the treble in Italy and play in the WC final then bugger me you got skills. If he was so good then why didn't Real keep hold of him ????

Well he was garbage all last season, do you take a punt on the fact he will regain his form straight away? cause he is going to have to hit the ground running.
PS I for got about fletcher, so we have one fit midfielder who is actually fit for purpose.

I will be the first one to say that Carrick by and large was toilet last season. Nowhere in this thread or any other thread last season will you see me defending him. He has lost his edge and drive and you can see that Fergie does not fancy him

atpbx said:
Anderson wont make the start of the season.
Hargreaves out for the start of the season.
Carrick is he going to be ok? his own manager says he takes a while to warm up and doesnt hit form till a few games in, he didnt hit form at all last year.
Gibson, what does he do? he can kick a ball very hard, thats it.

Scholes, another year older, a player who was all but retired at the end of last season and has has to be coaxed to stay on.

Can the team afford to start with no legs and no real creativity and power in midfield AGAIN?

Again your getting your knickers in a twist about nothing. Look through my posts and again I will be one of the first ones to say that we need something to make it happen in the final 3rd of the field. Gibson is not world class by any stretch of the imagination but he brings a certain amount of running to the team and will get better with age. Or do you seriously think that training with the likes of Giggs and Scholes wont have a positive influence on his game.

Nobody is saying we don't need to get better than last year, far from it

atpbx said:
Is fergie going to rely on nothing more than kicking the ball in waynes general direction all year and hoping he can do something with it?
Looks very much like it.

Well if you want to generalise like that then I really do hope he does get the ball into the general direction of Rooney who one would hope is generally playing upfield so he has a greater general chance of scoring. Instead talking sensationalist BS take some time to study football and understand the game

atpbx said:
My crystal ball was mostly accurate last year, I said at the start of the season we were short in defence, goal, midfield and up front, and all last season they were.
I said Foster would be binned, and he was.
I said Berbatov would be hopeless and he has been.

Mate seriously don't be breaking your own arm patting yourself on the back with the Deryck Acorah BS. We can all make generalisation to make us sound like experts but get to some specifics and people may take some of what you say with a some credibility rather than a rather large pinch of salt. Week in week out, Berbas this, Fosters, Giggs is the other. The team need 4 new defenders, 4 new midfielders and 2 new forwards. Last season we were 2nd highest scorers and the best defence. The problem was the spread of goals. Your argument statistically and consistently fails.

atpbx said:
You seem to be one of these people who think that because someone has kicked a ball for a living suddenly becomes untouchable and its unthinkable that someone outside of "the game" can possibly have a valid opinion.

Another aptbx generalisation if I ever saw one. If a player is pulling on the shirt and not giving 100% then yes he deserves some stick. Maybe it's me maybe its how I was brought up i dunno. I was a match going red home and away for many a year. Win or loose support the boys as long as they gave 100%. That was from being a young lad watching some of the crap served up by Atkinson to being privileged week in week out home and away watching players like Hughes, Robson, Cantona, Giggs, Keane and many great players who SAF has made better over the years.

I have also been fortunate enough to be in the company of a lot of great and not so great footballers who have moved into coaching like Stuart Pearce, Andy Cole, Steve Wiggley and many other to see the game from a coaches perspective

I just don't buy into this modern phenomenon of booing players and constantly getting on their back. In all honesty mate, Fans like you and Nickg really boil my **** because they really don't know how good you have had it. You listen to them clowns at Villa Park booing week in week out because they start the season well but fizzle out, Its like they think they have a devine right to win. Which is why your attitude rubs up so many Man Utd fans the wrong way. Probably why so many fans up and down the country hate Utd as well, we have no devine right to sign a player, no divine right to win anything despite what you think.

All the bloody time, all we hear is how lucky we are to win this, win that, how when we last won the prem and were runners up in the champions league we were so lucky to do it.

I am probably doing you a dis-service here because we have been terribly lucky over the last 20 or so years. So many trophies, so many good games and so many great players. Lets be fair, there are probably 90-91 other clubs who would love just one of them seasons to have on their honours list. So yes we have been lucky to see it, and lucky to be part of it.

Will Amos get a good chance next season in goal - never seen any reports either way as to whether he is good enough

Will Cleverly get a squad number for midfield - is he good enough (even just for a few sub appearances at the beginning of the year?) - or will he be farmed out on loan?

Smalling isnt ready for starting in the EPL / CL imo, which leaves Vidic and Evans as regular starters (I would love to say Rio I just dont believe his back will last anything like a full season's worth of games), and Vidic only has one more season on his contract , and I cant see Man Utd allowing such a big asset to leave on a free

Market will go crazy as of Monday but I cant see Man Utd buying more than 1 or 2 players at the very most, and like Sham said it will probably be 0

Nahh im not so sure tbh on some of that. I think Amos is a good 12-18 months away from being near first team contention on a regular basis.

Although we definitely need to strengthen the midfield area, what has gone unnoticed is that we have already spent a good £20m on Hernandez and Smalling if some of the figures mooted are to be believed.

Imho Fergie's plan is to add some depth to the squad in Smalling, Hernandez and AN Other for Midfield. If that AN other is a marquee signing or some relative unknown then who knows. Next summer will see one or two marquee signings.

Whilst he is supposed to have he 'Ronaldo' Money and what ever is left from the new shirt sponsors, you have to agree that World Cup and European Championship years really do see Johnny Average having a good tournament and commanding a £4m, £5m, £6m above their actual value. Jordi Cruyff, Karel Poborsky anyone ??

Only because the 'best players' tend not to move for money now as wages are similar Europe wide due to the relevant taxes so it's mainly personal reasons that engineer a move.
City are however creating the best squad they can, there's no doubt about that.

I think Siddy could end up being a real fly in the ointment next season. When you look at some of the players he has bought, he has gone for some very abrasive, athletic players. Playing against Boateng, De Jong etc will take some beating and not because of their superior skill. They will be a team who will continue to grind out results.

What will dictate how well Siddy do will be Mancini. I am not convinced he is the man to take them from mid table medicority to worthy champions. His record in Italy certainly flatters his ability. Nor am I convinced he is the right man to bring together all these players and make them happy sat on the bench whilst doing double training week in week out.

What I am sure of is that this will all end in tears in typical city fashion

Utd's team against Celtic tonight in Toronto

Team:
VDS
Rafael
Smalling
Evans
Fabio
Obertan
Scholes
Fletcher
Giggs
Berbatov
Diouf

Subs:
Brown
Welbeck
O'Shea
Macheda
Gibson
Kuszcak
De Laet
C Evans
Cleverley

Hoping for Cleverley to start but hey ho

I'm sorry but if that team even hopes to win a title you might as well give up 2nd place to city now. Its a pile of balls and not the kicking type! and old and useless balls at that

No one said that it would be a team to win the Premiership. in case you have been under a rock for a few months the W/C has just finished and a number of first team players are still on holiday you clown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom